WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Corrections House -- Echo Park, CA -- January 5th, 2014 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24414)

christopher 01-06-2014 01:12 AM

Corrections House -- Echo Park, CA -- January 5th, 2014

Venue: Echoplex
Source: me

I heard about this show a few weeks ago and got super excited. I had heard about Corrections House, but never thought I'd get to see them live. This is an experimental/industrial/doom band that features Mike Williams of Eyehategod on vocals, Scott Kelly of Neurosis on guitar/vocals, Bruce Lamont of Yakuza on Sax/vocals and Sanford Parker of Minsk doing the drum programming/keyboards.

I got to the venue a little early and sat in my car until the first band went on. I walked in at 8:30 to hear Author and Punisher just starting their set. It seriously felt like the venue was shaking from how loud the bass and distortion were. The band featured one man playing industrial music with the weirdest set up I've ever seen with a crazy video being played in the background. It was some sort of electronic drum kit with keyboards on top and various microphones for different vocal effects. I was digging this a LOT and would have loved for him to go on for a lot longer. At one point, he tied a mic around his throat and was screaming with his mouth closed so that the microphone would just pick up the sound through his throat. This was seriously horrifying. It felt like the soundtrack to hell and I was taken back a little but loved it. I had never heard anything like it before. This band is opening for Phil Anselmo's upcoming tour, so CHECK THEM OUT!!!

Up next was a band called Werckmeister Harmonies. I had heard about them prior to the show but could not find any real info on them. There was some long instrumental song on youtube, but that was it. The band had an old man in a chair with a guitar and microphone in front of him and two other people just facing away from the crowd. One had a bass and the other a guitar. For the longest time, they just seemed to be used as feedback from the amps. The front man was just picking different clean notes on the guitar and slowly singing. This lasted for about 15 minutes and then the front man hit the distortion and started playing faster chords and screaming in a high pitched black metal voice. The other two started playing the instruments for real and it just became some loud noise mind fuck. This lasted for about 10 minutes and then they two backing people stopped and the front manwent back to clean guitar and played for about 5 more minutes. He then thanked everyone for watching and it was over. A beautiful 30 minute song with a weird westernish video being played in the background. I wanted to buy his music, but I didn't have money for it.

Up next was Corrections House. It was their first time in LA. They played an amazing 75 minute set. They were so loud and heavy. It felt like my ear drums were going to explode by the end of the second song. I just stood there in awe as this cluster fuck of a band played through their set. Hearing Mike Williams shrieking while Scott Kelly was playing loud ass riffs on the guitar and Bruce Lamont playing the sax over some crazy industrial was probably one of the greatest things I've seen. Sometimes the bass hit so loud that I kind of stumbled because I could feel it throughout my entire body. This show was seriously like a religious experience and I suggest EVERYONE check them out if you get a chance. They played every song off of Last City Zero except for Run Through the Night, which was a bummed. I'm not 100% sure if they did Grin with a Purpose. The set might be a little out of order, but I'm pretty sure I have it mostly correct. They also made Hoax the System into a 15 minute song.

Intro
Grin with a Purpose?
Drapes Hung by Jesus
Party Leg and Three Fingers
Bullets and Graves
Dirt Poor and Mentally Ill
Hallows of the Stream
Last City Zero
Serve or Survive
Hoax the System

[IMG]https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/q90/1489241_10200981468330680_670994125_n.jpg[/IMG]

This was one of the best shows overall I've been to in a long time! 10/10. I can't wait to see Eyehategod next weekend.

petrovar 01-06-2014 05:58 AM

I really wish these guys were coming near me. Their album was in my 2013 top 5

bigguytoo9 01-06-2014 08:43 AM

Yeah this show would have been amazing!

300%_Density 01-06-2014 09:02 AM

I bet it translates better live. The cd is a tough listen IMO.

adamclark52 01-06-2014 09:10 AM

I checked out that Werckmeister Harmonies album on YouTube, that's some awesome shit. If I was able to hear that earlier it would've been in my top ten.

christopher 01-06-2014 05:52 PM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;552704]I checked out that Werckmeister Harmonies album on YouTube, that's some awesome shit. If I was able to hear that earlier it would've been in my top ten.[/QUOTE]

What were you able to find? I could only find a song that was a soundtrack for a movie and another 17 minute one that came out in 2007.

dcmetal108 01-06-2014 06:52 PM

Corrections House plays a ton here it seems (since Bruce lives here) but its always 21+ and I guess last the turnout was like 20 people.

christopher 01-06-2014 08:19 PM

[QUOTE=dcmetal108;552736]Corrections House plays a ton here it seems (since Bruce lives here) but its always 21+ and I guess last the turnout was like 20 people.[/QUOTE]

I looked at their past tour dates and it says they've only played there once in November. Maybe it's not listing everything.

Anyways, I just read this about tomorrow's show for Wrekmeister Harmonies' set:

[QUOTE]Jan. 7 San Francisco at Great American Music Hall. This one will be a full on presentation of You've Always Meant So Much To Me featuring Scott Kelly (Neurosis) Jason Roeder (Sleep) Sanford Parker and bruce lamont (Corrections House) plus a full compliment of string players including Bob Marsh and the Emergency String (X)tet. Would be great to see you at any or all of these![/QUOTE]

mankvill 01-06-2014 09:03 PM

[QUOTE=christopher;552729]What were you able to find? I could only find a song that was a soundtrack for a movie and another 17 minute one that came out in 2007.[/QUOTE]

Werckmeister Harmonies is the same name as a Slovakian film so it's a bit tough to properly search it on YouTube.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7QqPMDECc[/url]

I've actually seen this album a couple times at the record store I work at, but have never checked it out.

christopher 01-06-2014 09:42 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;552752]Werckmeister Harmonies is the same name as a Slovakian film so it's a bit tough to properly search it on YouTube.

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR7QqPMDECc[/url]

I've actually seen this album a couple times at the record store I work at, but have never checked it out.[/QUOTE]

You know what, that is the sound track made for the movie of the same name, I believe. I guess it is also the song that was played live. I found this out from the band's Facebook. I didn't think it was so but he changes up how the song sounds live. He skipped the first 10 minutes or so and was singing along to the clean guitar parts. I was tripping out because the record has barely any vocals while the live one had a lot of amazing vocals. It makes sense now.