WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Morbid Angel -- Seattle, WA -- November 25th, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=24234)

John The Drummer 11-26-2013 01:23 PM

Morbid Angel -- Seattle, WA -- November 25th, 2013

Monday November 25, 2013
Studio 7
Morbid Angel - Gravenloch - Funeral Age - Beyond Theory - Hereticon

What an honor it was to play with such a legendary band, especially for their tour celebrating their 20th anniversary of one of the greatest Death Metal albums of all time, COVENANT!

This tour was a lot like the tour Nile did earlier this year; Play a long set, and have the rest of the line up consist of local bands to showcase for the fans of Morbid Angel...and boy oh boy, fans there were!

I would say that Studio 7 was nearly sold out, and the crowd was on fire the entire night. Moshing, crowd surfing, yelling, felt like I was at an ECW event at times with some of the chants!

The night started off with a newer band, Hereticon. These guys seemed like some young'ns, but it s great to see a band of younger guys play Raw Black Metal, and not Deathcore/Metalcore/anything with -core at the end. I'm sure in time they will be great.
*As a side note, I was talking to their drummer before they went on, dude has only been playing drums for a year, and looked like he was more into Hip Hop than Metal... but he could PLAY. In time, I am positive he will be one of the best in the scene here, hope he keeps it up!

Next up was a band I've been wanting to see for a while, Beyond Theory! I've know these guys for a while, but never seen them, and man, it was great to finally watch them! Their front man may be the most energetic singers in the city, getting the crowd hyped between songs, and just being all around energetic and putting his 100% in. I can't wait to see them again, they were great!

Third on the show was my band, Funeral Age. This was our first big local show since [probably] June. I am not gonna sit here and review my band though, that's just pretentious :lol:. The crowd dug us, and I got tons of compliments after our set. Hopefully I'll have some new videos up this week.

[B][U]Funeral Age[/U][/B]
Damnation Rain
Lives For An Eye
Victim Soul (new song)
We Want Blood (new song)

After us was Gravenloch. This was my first time hearing them with their new drummer, and hell yeah, he can tear it up! Sadly I was outside loading up so I could only hear them, but it sounded like they really brought it and put on a well received reaction from the crowd!

Finally, MORBID ANGEL. I only stuck around for the [I]Covenant[/I] part of their set, but I presume that it was the same as the rest of the tour. I heard a lot of people saying things about how it won't be the same without Pete on drums, but Tim Yeung played the album perfectly, if not better, than Pete Sandoval (sorry old school MA fans..... :( ). I think it's just the energy that he has, it's untouchable!

Anyway, long story short, their sound was amazing, their performance was great, their playing was spot on, and as cheesy as "Evil D" may be to some, he is a fucking entertainer!

[B][U]Morbid Angel[/U][/B]
Rapture
Pain Divine
World of Shit (The Promised Land)
Vengeance Is Mine
The Lion's Den
Blood On My Hands
Angel of Disease
Sworn to the Black
Nar Mattaru
God Of Emptiness
Where The Slime Live
Bil Ur-Sag
Ageless, Still I Am
Curse The Flesh
Existo Vulgore
Immortal Rites
Fall From Grace

Great show! If you have the chance to see Morbid Angel, take it! They are one of the best bands that I have ever seen. They blew me away at MDF, and blew me away even more last night! :rocker:

christopher 11-26-2013 01:39 PM

I can't wait for Friday. I'll probably leave after the Covenant part.

Wrecking Crew 11-26-2013 03:17 PM

I'll be the naysayer, only one song each from their first two albums is not near enough. IMHO Blessed are the Sick was their high point. I'm sure it was fun to be there though, Morbid Angel forgot to hit Boise on their current tour along with pretty much every other group in existence.

Blacktooth85 11-26-2013 04:32 PM

How was the turn out at everyone else's show? I seen them last week in St. Louis at Pop's, and it had the least amount of people of any show I've seen there. They had half the place "curtained" off and had the balconies closed... Morbid Angel fuckin' killed though!!

Jochen 11-26-2013 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=Blacktooth85;547885]How was the turn out at everyone else's show? I seen them last week in St. Louis at Pop's, and it had the least amount of people of any show I've seen there. They had half the place "curtained" off and had the balconies closed... Morbid Angel fuckin' killed though!![/QUOTE]

In Chicago, the HOB had the balconies curtained off, and there were maybe 400-500 people on the floor (being optimistic). The crowd was pretty lame, though. Most of them seemed bored except when Angel of Disease, Immortal Rites, and Fall From Grace were played. I got the feeling that they thought it was cool to rock out to only the "old school" songs or some BS. But, whatever, the band totally ruled. Definitely one of the best performances I've seen. Covenant was one of the first death metal albums that I got into (and probably their best) and it was great to hear songs from each of the Tucker albums.

dcmetal108 11-26-2013 10:09 PM

[QUOTE=Jochen;547887]In Chicago, the HOB had the balconies curtained off, and there were maybe 400-500 people on the floor (being optimistic). The crowd was pretty lame, though. Most of them seemed bored except when Angel of Disease, Immortal Rites, and Fall From Grace were played. I got the feeling that they thought it was cool to rock out to only the "old school" songs or some BS. But, whatever, the band totally ruled. Definitely one of the best performances I've seen. Covenant was one of the first death metal albums that I got into (and probably their best) and it was great to hear songs from each of the Tucker albums.[/QUOTE]

I heard Chicago didn't even have 300 people in attendance and they were even giving away free tickets.

aerodynamics 11-27-2013 09:56 AM

Great write up John. Good to see that Morbid Angel had such a good turnout in Seattle.

I'm kind of new here and didn't realize you played in Funeral Age. I know you guys have played over here in Spokane a couple of times in the recent past. Hank Bale is an old (sort of) acquaintance -- he played in a band called Inner Strength with one of my best friends Jeff Jackson (who now plays bass with an outfit in Seattle called Kled) way back in 1987. And, of course, the singer for Inner Strength was Greg Anderson (of Southern Lord/Sun O))) fame). Hopefully I'll get the chance to see you guys play if you make it back to Spokane in the near future.

aerodynamics 11-27-2013 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=Wrecking Crew;547877]I'll be the naysayer, only one song each from their first two albums is not near enough. IMHO Blessed are the Sick was their high point. I'm sure it was fun to be there though, Morbid Angel forgot to hit Boise on their current tour along with pretty much every other group in existence.[/QUOTE]

You think Boise is bad, try living in Spokane. :eyes:

Wrecking Crew 11-27-2013 10:13 AM

[QUOTE=aerodynamics;547969]You think Boise is bad, try living in Spokane. :eyes:[/QUOTE]

I have to admit I see Spokane showing up even less on tour date lists than Boise, thanks for making me feel better about my town :lol: We just need to remind ourselves about how we don't have to deal with the traffic, crime, and high cost of living of big cities.

MetalIsArt 11-27-2013 01:00 PM

[QUOTE=christopher;547860]I can't wait for Friday. I'll probably leave after the Covenant part.[/QUOTE]

Morbid Anal :D :lol: