WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Mayhem Festival -- Tampa, FL -- July 31st, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=23622)

TheNobleFaceHumper 07-31-2013 07:28 PM

Mayhem Festival -- Tampa, FL -- July 31st, 2013

I'll write a better review tomorrow.

Thrown Into Exile - They were decent, much better than most of the metalcore this fest could have gotten, very energetic performance.

Huntress - This band sounds 10x better live than on CD, the whole thing with the cape and Jill's outfit is dumb, but besides that they were good.

Battlecross - By far the best side stage band of the day, they had the only wall of death at the show. They were probably the most energetic band I watched, I love their mixture of melodeath, thrash and metalcore, definitely became a fan of theirs today.

JFAC - Only saw two songs but heard everything, this band's recordings do not even remotely do them justice, JFAC are probably the epitome of a "Mayhem" fest band.

Scorpion Child - This band were a lot of fun, and I was glad they actually had a stage, really need to see a longer set.

Machine Head - This is the 3rd time seeing them, and I've never seen more than a 5 song set, they were good as usual, but I'm sick of the half hour sets.

Amon Amarth - The second best band of the day, Johan Hegg is an incredible front man and a really cool guy to talk too as well, he said they will be coming back late this year on a special headlining tour, could not tell me with who, definitely need to see them in a club.

Mastodon - This was by far the best band of the day, they were every bit as incredible as I was hoping for, getting to see Troy and Brann at work was awesome, I've waited almost five years to finally see them, so I can shorten my bucket list a little. Overall a great set, amazing sound quality, and surprisingly enough Brent Hinds was out talking to people, which I've always heard he's somewhat antisocial, but whatever.

I left after Mastodon because lol5fdpsucks and even though Zombie is cool live, not worth standing through an hour of 5fdp.
--

Only MH and Mastodon have been switching up sets so ...

MH

1)Imperium
2)From This Day
3)Ten Ton Hammer
4)Locust
5)Halo

Mastodon

1)Black Tongue
2)Crystal Skull
3)Dry Bone Valley
4)Megalodon
5)Stargasm
6)Blasteroid
7)All The Heavy Lifting
8)Spectrelight
9)Bedazzled Fingernails
10)The Sparrow

I got a drum head signed by Mastodon, CDs signed by Battlecross and AA, and JFAC signed my "Ruination" vinyl.

BiohazardABZ 07-31-2013 08:14 PM

Can someone tell Mastodon that it is NOT acceptable to end with The Sparrow. I mean it is a killer song but at a metal festival you need to break out Iron Tusk or something.

CaptRedBeardVII 08-01-2013 06:56 AM

Machine head played From This Day, not Bulldozer.

While Mastodon is a good band, they are beyind boring in this setting. They are just not made for outdoor festivals, maybe it was the set list, I don't know. They didnt seem like they even wanted to be there, no energy. The only entertaining thing was the lightning/thunder coming down during the final song. Awesome day but for me, this band was the definite low point of the day. Give me a band that is fun to watch over this any day

TheDeadPanda 08-01-2013 08:29 AM

This is the first mayhem review I think I've read where the person didn't say mastodon was incredibly boring lol

TheNobleFaceHumper 08-01-2013 08:58 AM

[QUOTE=CaptRedBeardVII;535937]Machine head played From This Day, not Bulldozer.

While Mastodon is a good band, they are beyind boring in this setting. They are just not made for outdoor festivals, maybe it was the set list, I don't know. They didnt seem like they even wanted to be there, no energy. The only entertaining thing was the lightning/thunder coming down during the final song. Awesome day but for me, this band was the definite low point of the day. Give me a band that is fun to watch over this any day[/QUOTE]

My bad, I was back by the JFAC tent and thought it was bulldozer, couldn't hear everything clearly.

As for MAstodon, I'm a massive fan of theirs and I had never seen them live, so I couldn't give a crap what they played, and for me personally I'll take musicianship over energetic show.

anomynous 08-01-2013 09:04 AM

Does Mastodon actually attempt to do their vocals correctly now, or are they still horrible?

InFlamesOfBirchmen 08-01-2013 09:20 AM

Having seen Mastodon six times now, I feel I should apologize for their setlist if this was your first time seeing them. I'm a die-hard fan, but their reliance on Hunter material dropped the energy immensely.

As for the vocals; they've improved slightly, but they still sound pretty much the same. Their harmonies are actually pretty decent when they want them to be. Brent's whistling solo during Bedazzled Fingernails is pretty fun, though.

TheNobleFaceHumper 08-01-2013 10:02 AM

I personally enjoyed it.

adamclark52 08-01-2013 10:08 AM

If it's your first time seeing one of your favorite bands you're going to love it no matter what. It's magic that will never be duplicated.

TonyD 08-01-2013 10:47 AM

From the shows I've been to, the vocals have actually been pretty good. But I don't know if it's just cause they lowered my expectations so much during the entire CTS tour :lol: