WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Iron Maiden -- Frankfurt, Germany -- June 12th, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=23430)

IrritatedTrout 06-26-2013 03:52 PM

Iron Maiden -- Frankfurt, Germany -- June 12th, 2013

The following day I was planning on taking a train down to the town of Heidelberg, Germany to look at the old town area. However, when I got to the train station I found out a ticket there and back would cost me just about the equivalent of my ticket from Paris. Heidelberg is not even an hour from Frankfurt and Paris was a 4 hour international train trip. I decided to pass because the price was ridiculous. The only justification for it that I can figure is that I didnít buy a ticket in advance so the price was higher at the last minute. Instead I got some more rest and spent some more time in the city. I picked up a copy of How The West Was Won for the equivalent of ten US dollars so I thought that was a pretty sweet deal. I decided to head down to the venue pretty early since I didnít have first to the barrier and wanted to try and get as close as possible. Surprisingly there was only a handful of people at the gate when I got there around 2:30 or so. I know that is pretty early but I figured in Europe they would be willing to get there pretty early and wait. Maybe everyone was tired and/or hungover from the night before. :lol: Even when they opened up the front gate to let us into a more organized ticket checking area there still werenít a ton of fans out. I got interviewed briefly by IMTV but it seems like they never post those anymore so who knows what will become of the footage. I met someone from LA in line and we got to talking. I swear I made more buddies at these three gigs than I ever do in the US and a lot of the fans at these shows donít speak English or speak it as a second language. I made some very cool friends from a lot of different places at these three shows though even if we were just buddies for the duration of the gigs.

I made it into the venue as one of the first people from the general line and I got a place in the second row on Steve and Janickís side right behind a pair of friends from the first night. I was directly behind someone who was very short so I had a great view, I love when that happens. The crowd seemed much tamer the second night, and at first I chalked it up to being winded from the first night, but as the show progressed I noticed things were pretty bad to my left and sort of rough to my right as well. It seemed like I had a great calm spot for some reason, felt like the eye of the storm. One guy who I saw at the gate earlier in the day had started drinking then and hadnít stopped until Maiden came on and he was hammered and starting fights with people around him. I thought security was gonna boot somebody around me out but they didnít. The security guard in front of us was really cool and was mouthing the lyrics to the songs all night. :lol: Steve seemed to have a few technical problems with his bass but got it sorted out. The show was great as expected, if not a little lower energy than the previous night but I think that goes all around, the band, the fans, and myself as well. Itís hard work back to back. :lol: I had heard some things about how the sound wasnít so good at this venue in 2011 and how the sound has had problems on the whole of the Maiden England tour. On the contrary, I thought the sound quality was very good in the Festhalle over the two nights. Iíve always been up front so maybe I havenít been in a position to really notice any problems with sound but the only things I remember hearing myself the past two years was some issues with Bruceís mic level in Charlotte and occasionally having a hard time hearing the leads from the players set up on the opposite side of the stage from me but thatís pretty standard.

Halfway through Running Free Bruce asked, ďWhat the fuck is going on in the middle there?Ē I turned around and a big group of guys in the middle of the floor were all crouched down. Bruce asked them if they were going to all jump up at once and he decided that we should all try it so he got the whole floor to crouch down and jump up together on his count. It was pretty funny and not something Iíve ever seen at a gig before. During The Trooper the Union Jack fell off it's pole after Bruce had draped it over Janick's head so it stayed there for the duration of his solo. Oh, one other strange thing was that for The Evil That Men Do they used the Reaper SSOASS backdrop. Dunno why, they had the regular backdrop the night before. Oh, and the pyros seemed especially tall and large both nights which was a treat. It is the home of Rammstein so maybe Germany has pretty lax fire restrictions haha. I made sure to take some venue photos before I exited the arena and picked up a Trooper beer that a vendor was selling outside. The next day I slept in a bit, packed up, and headed for the airport and the trek back home. Quite a successful trip Iíd say. Very much looking forward to the next European tour, Iím hoping to do the Nordics and see how nutty things get up there.:rocker:

Roll on Raleigh and Nashville.:cool:

1. Moonchild
2. Can I Play With Madness
3. The Prisoner
4. 2 Minutes to Midnight
5. Afraid to Shoot Strangers
6. The Trooper
7. The Number of the Beast
8. Phantom of the Opera
9. Run to the Hills
10. Wasted Years
11. Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
12. The Clairvoyant
13. Fear of the Dark
14. Iron Maiden
---
15. Aces High
16. The Evil That Men Do
17. Running Free

sc666 06-26-2013 07:52 PM

You mean roll on Las Vegas and San Bernardino!!

Nice post dude. Glad you had a Trooper beer. I finally found one in Barcelona

Bengals279 06-27-2013 08:25 AM

Have you ever seen slip knot before?

ravenheart 06-27-2013 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=Bengals279;532092]Have you ever seen slip knot before?[/QUOTE]

:confused:

W0unds 06-27-2013 08:56 AM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;532032]
Halfway through Running Free Bruce asked, ďWhat the fuck is going on in the middle there?Ē I turned around and a big group of guys in the middle of the floor were all crouched down. Bruce asked them if they were going to all jump up at once and he decided that we should all try it so he got the whole floor to crouch down and jump up together on his count. It was pretty funny and not something Iíve ever seen at a gig before.
[/QUOTE]

Maiden doing "jump the fuck up". :lol:

Sounds like this was a great time but I still wish they would have changed the setlist up a slight bit from the tour last year - even 1-2 different songs. Plenty of other bands switch or alternate the setlist up nightly without issue.

ravenheart 06-27-2013 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=W0unds;532094]Maiden doing "jump the fuck up". :lol:

Sounds like this was a great time but I still wish they would have changed the setlist up a slight bit from the tour last year - even 1-2 different songs. Plenty of other bands switch or alternate the setlist up nightly without issue.[/QUOTE]

Had this conversation the other day. I would put money on them changing it for the next US leg. This is simply the European half of the US tour from last year, hence it's the same show. If it had been immediately before or after that US leg no one would have said a thing about the sets being the same.

PowerMaiden 06-27-2013 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;532095] I would put money on them changing it for the next US leg. .[/QUOTE]

too bad you live in England, I would take that bet buddy

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

IrritatedTrout 06-27-2013 02:16 PM

[QUOTE=W0unds;532094]Maiden doing "jump the fuck up". :lol:

Sounds like this was a great time but I still wish they would have changed the setlist up a slight bit from the tour last year - even 1-2 different songs. Plenty of other bands switch or alternate the setlist up nightly without issue.[/QUOTE]

I wish they had rotated a song or two as well but I can understand the points on both sides of the argument. It is the same tour, just the European leg, yet it is also a year later and that's a long time to play the same set.

And, no, I will never, ever see Slipknot.;)

ravenheart 06-27-2013 02:25 PM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;532139]yet it is also a year later and that's a long time to play the same set.[/QUOTE]

So's a decade, but Lynyrd Skynyrd don't seem to care ;)