WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Orion Music & More -- Detroit, MI -- June 8th & 9th, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=23343)

kevindeets 06-12-2013 07:56 PM

Orion Music & More -- Detroit, MI -- June 8th & 9th, 2013

I know some people already posted their Metallica reviews, but I thought I'd share my review of the show. Also, I know I am a few days late.

[B]The Bronx[/B] opened the main stage on day one. This was my 3rd time seeing them... a fun live band.

Next I went to one of the side stages to see [B]Battlecross[/B]. The absolutely leveled the place. Although I am not a Slayer fan, that cover was pretty cool. They played a handful of new songs from their forthcoming CD due in July. If you're going to the Mayhem Fest this summer, check out Battlecross.

[B][U]Battlecross setlist[/U][/B]
Breaking You
Man of Stone
Ghost Alive (new song)
Never Coming Back (new song)
War Ensemble (Slayer cover)
Kaleb
Flesh & Bone (new song)
Misery
Force Fed Lies (new song)
Leech
Push Pull Destroy
Fucking Hostile (Pantera cover)

I was really excited to see [B]Dropkick Murphys[/B]. I'd never seen them before. They were fun as I expected, but this was not their typical audience, so the crowd wasn't super into them.

Next I went to the side stage to see [B]Metallica[/B] play their surprise, unannounced set. It was the 30th anniversary of their 1st album KILL EM ALL, so they played all of it. Seeing them do songs like "Whiplash" & "The Four Horsemen" on a small stage in the middle of the afternoon was amazing! That made my day, especially since they were not supposed to play on both dates.

[B][U]Metallica setlist[/U][/B]
Hit The Lights
The Four Horsemen
Motorbreath
Jump In The Fire
Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth)
Whiplash
Phantom Lord
No Remorse
Seek & Destroy
Metal Militia

I caught the last 25 min of [B]Tomahawk[/B]. I saw them open for Tool about a dozen years ago... very unique & talented band.

[B]Rise Against[/B] was next. They're OK, but they don't really do it for me.

[B]Infectious Grooves[/B] headlined the 2nd stage. I didn't know that this was their 1st show in over a decade. They were super-fun!

[B]Red Hot Chili Peppers[/B] closed day one. It seemed like a relatively small crowd all day to me until they hit the stage, and then all of a sudden the place was PACKED. I was excited to see them for the 1st time since their CALIFORNICATION tour. Also, Chad Smith is one of my very favorite drummers. Their set was really good, yet somewhat predictable. They played their hits, mostly. That is to be expected, though, at a festival where they're not touring behind a new CD. I LOVED hearing "Higher Ground" and "Me & My Friends." They also did tons of sweet jamming as well.

[B][U]Red Hot Chili Peppers setlist[/U][/B]
Monarchy of Roses
Dani California
Scar Tissue
Can't Stop
Look Around
Snow (Hey Oh)
The Adventures of Rain Dance Maggie
Higher Ground (Stevie Wonder cover)
Hard to Concentrate
Me & My Friends
Under the Bridge
Suck My Kiss
Ethiopia
Californication
By The Way
--encore--
Around the World
Soul to Squeeze
Give It Away

[B]All Shall Perish[/B] played first on day two. Kirk from Metallica introduced them. These guys absolutely destroy! I can't wait to see them again in a few months w/ Within The Ruins & Betrayal. The crowd LOVED them, as they should have.

Next up was [B]Dillinger Escape Plan[/B]. Robert from Metallica introduced them and said that they were blown away by what Dillinger can do w/ their instruments and also as performers. Damn straight! They played as a 4-piece because one of their guitarists recently broke his hand. He did, however, occasionally sing backup vocals and chime in w/ commentary between songs, including joking that "Milk Lizard" is their weak sellout song. Hehehe. A little bit of a pit broke out during "Panasonic Youth," but for the most part the crowd just watched. They are certainly unlike any band that most people see. All they have to do, though, is play "Sunshine the Werewolf," live, and that'll win the crowd over. What a great set!

[B][U]Dillinger Escape Plan setlist[/U][/B]
Prancer
Farewell, Mona Lisa
Milk Lizard
Sugar Coated Sour
Panasonic Youth
Room Full of Eyes
Gold Teeth on a Bum
The Mullet Burden
Dead As History
Setting Fire to Sleeping Giants
When I Lost My Bet
Sunshine the Werewolf
43% Burnt

[B]Deftones[/B] were next. They're one of my favorite bands, but they are never quite as good in front of larger crowds. It was still a solid set, and I loved hearing "Elite," "Rocket Skates," and "Swerve City."

[B][U]Deftones setlist[/U][/B]
Diamond Eyes
You've Seen the Butcher
Rocket Skates
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Rosemary
Poltergeist
Tempest
Swerve City
Elite
Change
Engine #9 / Wicked
Root
7 Words

[B]Metallica[/B] closed the festival on Sunday night. They said that they've been watching great bands all weekend, and now it was finally their turn. IMO, they are the best of the best when it comes to live heavy bands. No one can top them. I've never seen any band where such a vast majority of the crowd is so into it, singing every single song and pumping their fists and doing the call-and-response chants over & over. With most bands that's a cheesy way to get a reaction from the crowd, but with Metallica that is making the audience a part of the experience. They always sound perfect and have a solid light show as well. The setlist was excellent. I LOVED "Disposable Heroes" & "Orion," and I actually really liked hearing "Carpe Diem Baby" off of RE-LOAD. My one beef was that I don't care for "I Disappear," but that's OK. They dedicated "Harvester of Sorrow" to everyone who traveled to the show from all over. They said they would come back to Detroit for OrionFest next year, and I also heard on the radio that they may keep it in Detroit through 2015. If they do, I will be there. I'll never miss Metallica when they are in town. Plus, I thought this festival was excellent in general... tons of good (and diverse) bands, and it was organized well & also clean. What a weekend!

[B][U]Metallica setlist[/U][/B]
Blackened
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Disposable Heroes
Harvester of Sorrow
Kirk jam
The Day That Never Comes
Carpe Diem Baby
I Disappear
Sad But True
Robert bass solo
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
One
Master of Puppets
Battery
Kirk solo
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
--encore--
Turn The Page (Bob Seger cover)
Creeping Death
Seek & Destroy

christopher 06-12-2013 08:01 PM

Nusic :lol:

Phil709 06-12-2013 08:37 PM

Due to will-call troubles (Front Gate Tickets actually contacted me about it yesterday) I got to the festival two hours before the Red Hot Chili Peppers started. I waited in line for some food, chilled a bit and then watched the Red Hot Chili Peppers play an awesome show. The setlist is actually a pretty standard setlist from when they were touring for their album I'm With You. I still consider this show a part of that tour actually. I think I read somewhere that the tour would "go on forever".

Question for the OP: What time did you get to Cobo and how long was the wait for the shuttle on day 1?

Day 2 was much better. My friends and I showed up at Cobo at about 1PM (maybe earlier, I don't remember now) and there was one busload of people waiting. We got to the island immediately and were able to enjoy most of the festival including the Metallica Museum and Kirk's Crypt. My favorite songs from Metallica's set were The Day That Never Comes, I Disappear, Orion and Turn The Page.

So yeah, good festival. They got it together for day 2 (although maybe this was because everyone had their pass by then) and I would go back next year. Getting off the island was really fast both nights and there is lots to see and do at the festival.

I just hope they ship passes to international fans next year. I will even pay 5-10 bucks for shipping to avoid another 4 hour will-call line although I'm sure they will hire enough people next year to avoid another such situation.

Dextrimental 06-12-2013 08:40 PM

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but Infectious Grooves played in 2010 at Hellfest in France. As far as I know they are a fairly part time live band these days.

Cool review all the same, sounds like it was a good weekend!

christopher 06-12-2013 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=Phil709;530491]Due to will-call troubles (Front Gate Tickets actually contacted me about it yesterday) I got to the festival two hours before the Red Hot Chili Peppers started. I waited in line for some food, chilled a bit and then watched the Red Hot Chili Peppers play an awesome show. The setlist is actually a pretty standard setlist from when they were touring for their album I'm With You. I still consider this show a part of that tour actually. I think I read somewhere that the tour would "go on forever".

Question for the OP: What time did you get to Cobo and how long was the wait for the shuttle on day 1?

Day 2 was much better. My friends and I showed up at Cobo at about 1PM (maybe earlier, I don't remember now) and there was one busload of people waiting. We got to the island immediately and were able to enjoy most of the festival including the Metallica Museum and Kirk's Crypt. My favorite songs from Metallica's set were The Day That Never Comes, I Disappear, Orion and Turn The Page.

So yeah, good festival. They got it together for day 2 (although maybe this was because everyone had their pass by then) and I would go back next year. Getting off the island was really fast both nights and there is lots to see and do at the festival.

I just hope they ship passes to international fans next year. I will even pay 5-10 bucks for shipping to avoid another 4 hour will-call line although I'm sure they will hire enough people next year to avoid another such situation.[/QUOTE]

You had to wait in a will call line for 4 fucking hours???? :eek:

kevindeets 06-12-2013 08:42 PM

I got to Cobo at 11:30 am Sat. and did not have to wait long (wanted to make sure not to muss The Bronx and Battlecross). I also did not have to do will-call. I heard that was a pain. Glad you ended up having fun.

Phil709 06-12-2013 09:08 PM

[QUOTE=christopher;530493]You had to wait in a will call line for 4 fucking hours???? :eek:[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.freep.com/article/20130608/ENT04/306080076/Orion-Music-fans-lines[/url]

Yeah, it was insane. My friends and I showed up a few hours after 11AM (the time at which shuttles started). Hundreds of people were already there and hundreds more followed. There were 6 windows for tickets: 2 for guest list, 2 to purchase tickets and 2 for will-call. So the lineups in the pictures from the link I provided were being serviced by only 2 windows... The interactive nonsense included in the bracelet didn't help either (using your bracelet to check-in at different places at the festival to win prizes, etc...). The employee had to scan something on the computer screen and then scan the bracelet itself and I heard they were having troubles with the machines. So that slowed down the process even more.

[QUOTE=kevindeets;530494]I got to Cobo at 11:30 am Sat. and did not have to wait long (wanted to make sure not to muss The Bronx and Battlecross). I also did not have to do will-call. I heard that was a pain. Glad you ended up having fun.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response! It was fun but I ended up with the foulest of attitudes about the whole festival and Detroit but looking back it wasn't bad at all and like Hetfield said: "We'll learn from our mistakes. That's why we're here". I'm so happy he acknowledged the complaints onstage.

Metaljoetx 06-13-2013 10:35 PM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;530492]Don't mean to burst your bubble, but Infectious Grooves played in 2010 at Hellfest in France. As far as I know they are a fairly part time live band these days.

Cool review all the same, sounds like it was a good weekend![/QUOTE]

With rob trujillo ?

ravenheart 06-14-2013 02:18 AM

[QUOTE=kevindeets;530488]
Carpe Diem Baby
I Disappear
Orion[/QUOTE]

Nice!

velvetgrass 06-14-2013 10:32 AM

Anybody get the full setlists of Silversun Pickups or Tomahawk? I'm really looking for these and if someone could post them, it would really be appreciated.

makethemsuffer12 06-15-2013 07:07 AM

I think it's lame that they're keeping it in Detroit for a bit, but then again I'm still butthurt that I missed the first Orion in AC. :bouville:

sc666 06-15-2013 06:00 PM

2012 in Atlantic City was great. Excellent setup, close to all amenities (hotels and food were less than a mile away from Bader Field) and the weather was great (which of course you can never predict but).

IrritatedTrout 06-16-2013 04:44 AM

Awesome that they played Kill Em All and the second night's set is really good too.

El Gordo 06-16-2013 06:35 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;530632]Nice![/QUOTE]

OK man... I agree with you on Carpe Diem and Orion, but I Disappear?! That's just bad music.