WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Metallica -- Detroit, MI -- June 9th, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=23315)

TheClairvoyant 06-09-2013 05:43 PM

Metallica -- Detroit, MI -- June 9th, 2013

Blackened
For Whom the Bell Tolls
Disposable Heroes
Harvester of Sorrow
The Day That Never Comes
Carpe Diem Baby
I Disappear
Sad but True
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Orion
One
Master of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
Encore:
Turn the Page (Bob Seger cover)
Creeping Death
Seek & Destroy

hellawaits77ny 06-09-2013 05:53 PM

Not a bad set. Carpe Diem Baby is interesting. 2nd time live.

Spiner202 06-09-2013 06:15 PM

Anybody know Cauldron's set?

[QUOTE=TheClairvoyant;530070]
Seek & Destroy[/QUOTE]
They just can't resist ending with it even after playing the whole album :lol:

Maideneer 06-09-2013 07:52 PM

[QUOTE=TheClairvoyant;530070]Blackened
Disposable Heroes
Carpe Diem Baby
Welcome Home (Sanitarium) [/QUOTE]

A++. Well done, let's keep the good stuff coming.

girnny777 06-09-2013 08:00 PM

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to hear Carpe Diem Baby live. I hope they start rotating in the lesser played songs from Load and Reload.

...Also I hope they start actually playing shows in the US again.

Sanitarium78 06-09-2013 08:12 PM

[QUOTE=girnny777;530088]...Also I hope they start actually playing shows in the US again.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they really missed out on hitting the US during the Death Magnetic tour;)

Good set. Those first four are a great way to start the show. Carpe Diem is one a the few rarely played songs off the Loads I wouldn't mind hearing.

Phil709 06-10-2013 02:21 AM

Here is some info on the Orion concert experience coming from a Canadian who had no choice but to order a pass by will-call:

I pretty much missed all of day 1 (I was able to catch all of Red Hot Chili Peppers thankfully) because there weren't enough people working the will-call windows. There were hundreds of people waiting in line at the Cobo Center and only 2 windows working for will-call. To give you an idea, I showed up at around 2PM and finally got my pass and quickly boarded the shuttle around 6PM. So, yeah, 4+ hours of waiting in line.

Yes, yes, maybe I should have showed up at 10am and beat the lines but the ridiculousness of waiting 4 hours would have emerged anyways.

Day 2 was much better. I had my pass already so all I needed to do was go straight to the shuttle (this was around 1:00PM). Thankfully there were no lines for the shuttles. I arrived before any of the bands started (2PM start time for shows) and during the day I was able to visit the Metallica Museum (some cool Metallica memorabilia there) and Kirk's Crypt. I showed up just in time at Kirk's Crypt to catch a horror trivia game with prizes followed by Kirk himself interviewing some horror movie guys.

Metallica at the end of the festival was great and sounded great, but the experience from day 1 kind of set a dark cloud over me for the whole weekend. James Hetfield acknowledged the complaints about the festival and said that they will learn from their mistakes for next year (I think Metallica REALLY wants Detroit to be Orion's home for the next few years).

SOME TIPS IF YOU'RE PLANNING TO GO NEXT YEAR:

1. Do NOT get your ticket by will-call.
2. If you are an international fan and have no choice but to get will-call, show up early. (I am hoping that they add the shipping option for international fans next year)
3. I think the VIP pit is only a VIP pit for the main event. So if you get a VIP pass you might have to wait for them to clear the pit of people who have regular passes in the hour before Metallica hits the stage.

girnny777 06-10-2013 05:05 AM

[QUOTE=Sanitarium78;530089]Yeah, they really missed out on hitting the US during the Death Magnetic tour;)
[/QUOTE]

It's been four years since the DM tour. They could at least do more than one show a year here.

Sanitarium78 06-10-2013 06:37 AM

[QUOTE=girnny777;530127]It's been four years since the DM tour. They could at least do more than one show a year here.[/QUOTE]

Well, the only time they tour the US extensively is when they have a new album to support. Other than that we don't get much from them. All the festivals are in Europe every summer so that's why they play more there. Plus, Metallica is one of the few bands who are able to work the schedule they want. If they only want to tour the US every five years then there's really nothing anybody can do to change that. They have enough money and don't need to tour North America as often as other bands do.

DisposableJustice 06-10-2013 01:08 PM

I thought long and hard about going and in the end I couldn't afford the travel and hotel costs. Maybe next year when I'm in a better situation money wise I might make the trip

As for the set, Pretty damn good; Disposable Heroes, Sanitarium, Harvester, Day (underrated song, imo) and whipping out carpe deim is cool. If I was in charge I would take out Disapper put in Fade or a Justice song (HOW BOUT FRAYED??) and switch out Orion for To Live is to Die just for the 25th birthday of AJFA. Overall not a perfect set but a very good one

Travis The Dragon 06-10-2013 06:12 PM

Wasn't one of the complaints about last year's Orion Festival that they didn't do the song Orion? ;) Also, put in Fade To Black instead of Turn The Page and Frayed Ends instead of I Disappear and it would be much better.

DisposableJustice 06-10-2013 09:30 PM

[QUOTE=fonzbear2000;530217]Wasn't one of the complaints about last year's Orion Festival that they didn't do the song Orion? ;) Also, put in Fade To Black instead of Turn The Page and Frayed Ends instead of I Disappear and it would be much better.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if they change the festival name to Frayed Ends Festival, we'll get our wish

Or not:hmm:

The Ancient Mariner 06-11-2013 03:15 PM

[QUOTE=girnny777;530088]
I hope they start actually playing shows in the US again.[/QUOTE]

A tour of the UK would be nice too!! :|