WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Nile -- San Antonio, TX -- March 31st, 2013 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22801)

RampinUp46 04-01-2013 05:53 AM

Nile -- San Antonio, TX -- March 31st, 2013

The day began around 3:00 or so when three friends of mine and some guy I hadn't met before took the trip down to San Antonio to go see Nile. After picking up someone from Austin, we headed down a side road to go the scenic route to San Antonio - a decision we came to regret when it took [I]longer[/I] than expected, but at least we saw some potential tornadoes in the sky as well as two ostriches fucking. :lol: When we stopped for a bit of stretching out at a gas station along the way, I picked up a box of cake mix for Karl Sanders to sign, since it was the most random thing in the store that was cheap (runners up included laundry detergent, a bag of sugar, and a jar of pickles). Upon later inspection, the cake was expired by a year and almost a month. :eyes:

We still made it to San Antonio in time for the doors to open, where we picked up some merch (shirts were $20, $5 extra for 2XL, $10 beanies, $1 picks, $12 for a pair of drumsticks) and sat around for the opening bands, who we delighted in heckling. Why? The first one had a shitty mix (more bass, less everything - especially mids) and one of my friends is a tone whore, the second one had pigsqueals and shitty slow-chugs, and the third one was "trying too hard", especially without a bassist (we joked that the singer ate him). In the meantime, we found Karl and we talked to him about music and our band specifically (he thought it was cool that we wanted to cover Annihilation of the Wicked and Sarcophagus) and I finally asked him to sign the cake mix. His response:

"...No! Fuck dude, I'll sign literally anything [I]except[/I] that!"

Nile started setting up fairly quickly for the night, and surprisingly, people started fucking leaving. The crowd was already dead as fuck (I want to say about 100 or so people showed up TOTAL), and with a shitload of people bailing on the headliner, we were wondering how the show would turn out without the audience participation that Nile was known for. Well, Nile played their hearts out as if they had a sold-out crowd at their disposal. A pit did turn out, but it was so odd seeing one without a wall or anything. Anyway, the band launched into fan favorite after fan favorite, even mentioning that one song (The Howling of the Jinn, I believe) was only played in San Antonio once before. Not much else can be said about this show; if you've seen Nile before, you'll know what to expect. If you haven't, bring earplugs and get ready to have your ass handed to you in the pit. The lack of "Lashed to the Slave Stick" surprised me, and honestly, I was really hoping for Annihilation of the Wicked. The shitload of songs from "Catacombs" more than made up for it though. :rocker:

[B][I]Nile[/I][/B]

Set A:

Sacrifice Unto Sebek
Kafir!
Hittite Dung Incantation
Enduring the Eternal Molestation of Flame
Supreme Humanism of Megalomania
Ithyphallic
The Inevitable Degradation of Flesh
Papyrus Containing the Spell to Preserve Its Possessor Against Attacks from He Who is in the Water
Permitting the Noble Dead to Descend to the Underworld
4th Arra of Dagon (second half only)

Set B:

Die Rache Krieg Lied Der Assyriche (tape intro)
The Blessed Dead
Defiling the Gates of Ishtar
Cast Down the Heretic
The Howling of the Jinn
Kheftiu Asar Butchiu
Serpent Headed Mask
The Black Hand of Set
The Black Flame
Smashing the Antiu
Unas Slayer of the Gods
Sarcophagus
Black Seeds of Vengeance

After the show, we all piled back into the car to go back to Austin, discussing the show, our plans for the future as a band, and laughing our asses off about me accidentally pissing off Karl Sanders.

christopher 04-01-2013 12:04 PM

That is hysterical about the cake mix. :lol: Sucks only about 100 people showed up. There weren't many people at my show either, but Nile still put on a hell of a show.

XDoomsayerX 04-01-2013 01:19 PM

So he didnt sign the cake mix :(

TheNobleFaceHumper 04-01-2013 01:28 PM

Did they have any cds or vinyl at all?

smearCampaign 04-01-2013 01:30 PM

Sounds like an excellent show. I'm bummed I didn't have the :money: to go down to San Antonio for this one.

VoidFlame 04-01-2013 01:39 PM

[QUOTE=XDoomsayerX;519706]So he didnt sign the cake mix :([/QUOTE]

Maybe he's on a diet ;)

Heiden 04-01-2013 02:02 PM

Talking smack on Burial Shroud? Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffftttt. What a noob.

RampinUp46 04-01-2013 03:39 PM

[QUOTE=TheNobleFaceHumper;519709]Did they have any cds or vinyl at all?[/QUOTE]

CD's, yes. $10 or $12, if I recall correctly. If they had vinyl, I didn't see it, mostly because I wasn't looking for it.

TheNobleFaceHumper 04-02-2013 01:12 PM

Do you know if it's just their most recent or did they have other CDs with them? I've been meaning to pick up copies of a couple of Ithyphalic and Annihilation Of The Wicked

treghet 04-02-2013 01:26 PM

[QUOTE=TheNobleFaceHumper;519896]Do you know if it's just their most recent or did they have other CDs with them? I've been meaning to pick up copies of a couple of Ithyphalic and Annihilation Of The Wicked[/QUOTE]

The last three.