WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Hated albums that you enjoy? (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22730)

IrritatedTrout 03-23-2013 06:40 PM

Hated albums that you enjoy?

There are a lot of albums that seem to be almost universally panned by either the band's fans or metal fans in general. Are there any in particular that you really enjoy despite the hate they get? Here's one of mine that gave me the idea for this topic:

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for The Dying

I think more people would enjoy this one if it wasn't such a large step down in quality from the albums that directly preceded it. Coming after Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is certainly a hard task. Although this album is 'dumbed down' to an extent compared to the grandeur of records like SSOASS and Somewhere in Time, there are some very good rocking tracks to be found here. The title track is a powerful song that, while not reaching the emotional peaks of Infinite Dreams or Hallowed Be Thy Name, does a good job of espousing an 'epic' feel for the first half of the song. Tailgunner sees Bruce hitting some pretty impressive high notes and while it's no Aces High, it's certainly not a bad little opener.

I've always thought Hooks in You and Holy Smoke were both really catchy, really fun songs. I love the lyrics to Fates Warning and Public Enema Number One. I'm convinced the latter could come off really awesome live if Maiden would ever give it another go. Run Silent Run Deep has great lyrics as well and is a song I would think that most Maiden fans would enjoy even if they don't like NPFTD. Bring Your Daughter is certainly different, not the best song but not the worst. The Assassin is ok, if a little bland. I've never really cared for Mother Russia.

Overall, clearly a huge step down from everything post-Killers, but still a good album that I generally enjoy and probably listen to on a more frequent basis than most.

I'll post a few more later on. What are yours?

powerslave_85 03-23-2013 06:50 PM

I think "Hooks In You" and "Bring Your Daughter..." are the two worst Maiden songs of all time. Top 5, at the very least.

If we're doing albums that metal fans hate (at least the ones here), I might as well just post like 90% of my music collection.

adamclark52 03-23-2013 06:57 PM

I like iwrestledabearonce's 'It's All Happening'.

:bigfinger

Dextrimental 03-23-2013 07:05 PM

Carcass - Swansong
In Flames - Come Clarity
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Slayer - God Hates Us All

I'll think of more. Those four aren't usually talked about in high regard amongst metal fans that I've talked to anyway!

TheWildAndTheYoung 03-23-2013 07:28 PM

Cool thread idea, here's mine.

[B]Set The World On Fire[/B] - Black Veil Brides
[B]The Final Countdown[/B] - Europe
[B]In God We Trust[/B] - Stryper
[B]Black Butterfly[/B] - Buckcherry
[B]This Is Gonna Hurt[/B] - Sixx: A.M.

all I can think of at the moment

adamclark52 03-23-2013 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=Dextrimental;518270][B]Carcass - Swansong[/B]
In Flames - Come Clarity
Children of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?
Slayer - God Hates Us All

I'll think of more. Those four aren't usually talked about in high regard amongst metal fans that I've talked to anyway![/QUOTE]

Half of Swansong is great ([I]Keep on Rotting in the Free World, Tomorrow Belongs to Nobody, Child's Play, Room 101, Firm Hand[/I] and [I]Go To Hell[/I]) but yeah, the rest is forgettable. [I]Go To Hell[/I] is awesome and[I] Keep on Rotting in the Free World[/I] is one of the best Carcass songs, period!

Come Clarity is and Are You Dead Yet? are solid as well. God Hates Us All has one song I still enjoy ([I]Disciple[/I]).

ravenheart 03-23-2013 08:35 PM

Most new albums by old guys. Because it's cool to hate those.

Onioner 03-23-2013 08:56 PM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;518277]Most new albums by old guys. Because it's cool to hate those.[/QUOTE]

This.

Also Turbo by Judas Priest, Born Again by Black Sabbath, The Pack is Back and Stay Hard by Raven, In Search of Sanity by Onslaught, and Impact is Imminent by Exodus come to mind immediately.

RampinUp46 03-23-2013 10:52 PM

Carcass - Heartwork
Morbid Angel - Everything after David Vincent left the band except for [I]Illud[/I].
Slayer - Undisputed Attitude
Metallica - Garage Days
Korn - See You on the Other Side
Otep - Pretty much everything they ever did, except for a few songs here and there and almost the entire Atavist record (Fists Fall was the only song I can say I "liked"). :lol:

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

kalfitegrdan 03-24-2013 12:31 AM

Slayer - Christ Illusion

I could name off a bunch of deathcore records that are pretty universally hated. :lol: