WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Death -- Vienna, Austria -- February 28th, 1992 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22186)

Zla Vydra 01-04-2013 05:40 AM

Death -- Vienna, Austria -- February 28th, 1992

Spring term didn't start until the beginning of March, so I took the opportunity to travel throughout February, but I made sure that I returned to Vienna for this show. I had seen Death a couple of times in San Antonio in 1990 (or maybe early 1991) on the Spiritual Healing tour (a killer show with James Murphy and a joke of a show without him), but this was a whole new lineup with Masvidal, Reinert, and DiGiorgio.

Tiamat and Loudblast were the openers, and I think Loudblast went on first. According to setlist.fm, their show in Copenhagen two weeks before went like this, and I doubt they mixed it up too much:

1. Wrapped in Roses (I do remember they opened with this)
2. Arrive into Death Soon
3. Oath of Allegiance
4. Outlet for Conscience
5. Disquieting Beliefs
6. Malignant Growth
7. Sublime Dementia (Cool that they played this since it would be a while before this was released)
8. Steering for Paradise

I was thoroughly impressed with Loudblast, and unfortunately it would be the only time I would be able to see them live. Stephane Buriez had a powerful voice, and both guitarists did some impressive shredding for an early(ish) death metal band.

Tiamat, in comparison, sucked. [I]Clouds [/I]hadn't been released yet, their sound was terrible, Edlund seemed lost as a front man, with weak-ass vocals. Just all-around lame. They would, however, improve quite a bit on their [I]Wildhoney [/I]tour cycle a couple of years later.

I was pretty excited when Human was released, but looking back on it now, well, I never listen to it. In the live setting, Masvidal and the other guys just seemed too studious to be playing death metal. It was odd. Anyhow, there was a good turn-out, people were into it, and here's a good approximation of the set (from setlist.fm Stockholm set from 10 days earlier).

1. Suicide Machine
2. Left to Die
3. Flattening of Emotions
4. Zombie Ritual
5. Together as One
6. Within the Mind
7. Lack of Comprehension
8. Living Monstrosity
9. Vacant Planets
10. Pull the Plug (Encore)

Death always seemed to play short sets...

RampinUp46 01-04-2013 01:44 PM

[QUOTE=Zla Vydra;505382]Spring term didn't start until the beginning of March, so I took the opportunity to travel throughout February, but I made sure that I returned to Vienna for this show. I had seen Death a couple of times in San Antonio in 1990 (or maybe early 1991) on the Spiritual Healing tour (a killer show with James Murphy and a joke of a show without him), but this was a whole new lineup with Masvidal, Reinert, and DiGiorgio.

Tiamat and Loudblast were the openers, and I think Loudblast went on first. According to setlist.fm, their show in Copenhagen two weeks before went like this, and I doubt they mixed it up too much:

1. Wrapped in Roses (I do remember they opened with this)
2. Arrive into Death Soon
3. Oath of Allegiance
4. Outlet for Conscience
5. Disquieting Beliefs
6. Malignant Growth
7. Sublime Dementia (Cool that they played this since it would be a while before this was released)
8. Steering for Paradise

I was thoroughly impressed with Loudblast, and unfortunately it would be the only time I would be able to see them live. Stephane Buriez had a powerful voice, and both guitarists did some impressive shredding for an early(ish) death metal band.

Tiamat, in comparison, sucked. [I]Clouds [/I]hadn't been released yet, their sound was terrible, Edlund seemed lost as a front man, with weak-ass vocals. Just all-around lame. They would, however, improve quite a bit on their [I]Wildhoney [/I]tour cycle a couple of years later.

I was pretty excited when Human was released, but looking back on it now, well, I never listen to it. In the live setting, Masvidal and the other guys just seemed too studious to be playing death metal. It was odd. Anyhow, there was a good turn-out, people were into it, and here's a good approximation of the set (from setlist.fm – Stockholm set from 10 days earlier).

1. Suicide Machine
2. Left to Die
3. Flattening of Emotions
4. Zombie Ritual
5. Together as One
6. Within the Mind
7. Lack of Comprehension
8. Living Monstrosity
9. Vacant Planets
10. Pull the Plug (Encore)

Death always seemed to play short sets...[/QUOTE]

Great review man! :rocker:

Do you happen to remember the Death shows - or any other shows from San Antonio (or Texas in general), by the way? I'd love to see those reviews if you ever get around to posting them (I like seeing stuff from my local scene, what can I say :lol:).

The Ghost at Number One 01-04-2013 06:27 PM

Excellent review.

IrritatedTrout 01-05-2013 08:53 AM

Seeing Death would have been awesome.

adamclark52 01-05-2013 10:16 AM

Zla Vydra, keep it coming! Awesome stuff!

Zla Vydra 01-07-2013 10:20 AM

[QUOTE=RampinUp46;505459]Great review man! :rocker:

Do you happen to remember the Death shows - or any other shows from San Antonio (or Texas in general), by the way? I'd love to see those reviews if you ever get around to posting them (I like seeing stuff from my local scene, what can I say :lol:).[/QUOTE]

I'm glad people are enjoying these. Some research jogged my memory, and it looks like both Death shows were in 1990 at the Showcase Theatre on West Avenue. That place is probably long dead, but it was a cool venue. The first was in February with Devastation; the second in October with Pestilence and Carcass. I'll try to review both soon.

adamclark52 01-07-2013 07:48 PM

[QUOTE=Zla Vydra;505829]the second in October with Pestilence and Carcass. I'll try to review both soon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think I'd like that!

hellawaits77ny 01-08-2013 04:58 AM

Very cool review!

W0unds 01-08-2013 07:02 AM

Nice review, would love to see more old school reviews like this.