WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Energymetal14's "Nobody cares but here it is" Recap of All Things 2012 Thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=22006)

energymetal14 12-07-2012 10:57 AM

Energymetal14's "Nobody cares but here it is" Recap of All Things 2012 Thread

I wasn't sufe if I felt like doing one of these, but I gave in and decided to do it. I'm really just gonna post whatever I think to review/talk about here, but I already have a list of my top shows for the year made up, so this thread hopefully won't go totally unfinished like some others on here :D Haha jk. But before I start that list, I'll give a recap of the year that once again, nobody cares about.

2012 was a year of highs and lows for me. I started my senior year of college this year :eek:, turned 21 this year :drinking:, and even joined MetalSetlists this year :party:.

This was also a big year for me music wise, going to more shows than any other year before (at least 30, I don't remember exactly) and getting more and more knowledgeable about bands in all subgenres of metal. Constantly searching for new stuff, it takes a lot of time, but is totally worth it, as every once in awhile some true gems are found.

Symbolically, this year can be represented by a bottle of Jameson. I know you're probably thinking :confused:, but I can explain. Near the beginning pf the year, I had one of the worst nights of my life with a bottle of Jameson (I think you can guess what happened). Towards the end of the year, I faced my fear and tried it again, and had one of the best nights of the year. Then had another amazing night a few weeks later with, you guessed it, some friends and a bottle of Jameson. It just showed that although a lot has sucked about this year, I've made it through and had some great things happen, too.

So enough of my storytelling, let's start this list! First post coming soon.

christopher 12-07-2012 11:32 AM

Jameson was my drink of choice last year. Tastes so good on the rocks.

energymetal14 12-07-2012 11:36 AM

[B][SIZE="2"]15. Children of Bodom[/SIZE][/B]

Bill: Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Revocation, Threat Signal
Venue: Webster Theater
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2012

Okay here we go! Number 15 is Children of Bodom at the Webster in Hartford. This was my second time seeing them; my first was at Heavy MTL where Alexi seemed trashed and I was standing really far away. This time was a much better performance, plus I got to hear more songs with a longer set. What really made this show memorable for me was that I drove 2 hours from my school in northeastern MA down to Hartford, which is almost 2 hours normally. This time was in a pretty bad snowstorm though, and I drove down alone. The roads were snowy and icy and I could barely see 10 feet in front of me at some points. It took me forever to get there and back, but it was totally worth it! :D

Threat Signal came on first. They are a metalcore band that I was big into years ago, but I don't really care anymore. They were decent, but it was more a nostalgia trip than anything.

Revocation was up next, and they were so much fun as always. It's so great to watch them play, they are so entertaining while still playing the technical parts perfectly. Not my favorite time seeing them (that's for later) but probably my 2nd favorite.

Eluveitie was up next, and I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would. The songs sound more intense live, and the crowd was really into them. They knew how to get everyone going, and I look forward to seeing them again in two weeks!

Bodom came on last, and they are as popular as they are for a reason. Although I do like their music, I don't love it and it's definitely not some of my favorite or the most interesting music. But they are lots of fun live, and they have a great presence on stage. They crowd was really into them, and I headbanged throughout their entire set. Got my ticket signed by the Revocation guys after to remember the show more :party:. Fun time, not sure if i need to see Bodom again, since I don't know if it will get much better than that. Glad i made the trek down to CT!

energymetal14 12-07-2012 11:37 AM

[QUOTE=christopher;500876]Jameson was my drink of choice last year. Tastes so good on the rocks.[/QUOTE]

Definitely man, i've come to really love the taste of it and whiskey in general.

mastodon421 12-07-2012 11:54 AM

[QUOTE=energymetal14;500877][B][SIZE="2"]15. Children of Bodom[/SIZE][/B]

Bill: Children of Bodom, Eluveitie, Revocation, Threat Signal
Venue: Webster Theater

Okay here we go! Number 15 is Children of Bodom at the Webster in Hartford. This was my second time seeing them; my first was at Heavy MTL where Alexi seemed trashed and I was standing really far away. This time was a much better performance, plus I got to hear more songs with a longer set. What really made this show memorable for me was that I drove 2 hours from my school in northeastern MA down to Hartford, which is almost 2 hours normally. This time was in a pretty bad snowstorm though, and I drove down alone. The roads were snowy and icy and I could barely see 10 feet in front of me at some points. It took me forever to get there and back, but it was totally worth it! :D

Threat Signal came on first. They are a metalcore band that I was big into years ago, but I don't really care anymore. They were decent, but it was more a nostalgia trip than anything.

Revocation was up next, and they were so much fun as always. It's so great to watch them play, they are so entertaining while still playing the technical parts perfectly. Not my favorite time seeing them (that's for later) but probably my 2nd favorite.

Eluveitie was up next, and I enjoyed them a lot more than I thought I would. The songs sound more intense live, and the crowd was really into them. They knew how to get everyone going, and I look forward to seeing them again in two weeks!

Bodom came on last, and they are as popular as they are for a reason. Although I do like their music, I don't love it and it's definitely not some of my favorite or the most interesting music. But they are lots of fun live, and they have a great presence on stage. They crowd was really into them, and I headbanged throughout their entire set. Got my ticket signed by the Revocation guys after to remember the show more :party:. Fun time, not sure if i need to see Bodom again, since I don't know if it will get much better than that. Glad i made the trek down to CT![/QUOTE]

I really wanted to go that show. The lineup was awesome and Bodom's setlist was fucking amazing. I would've killed to see Kissing the Shadows live.

energymetal14 12-07-2012 12:07 PM

[B][SIZE="2"]14. English Dogs[/SIZE][/B]

Bill: English Dogs, The Casualties, Toxic Holocaust, Havok
Venue: The Middle East (downstairs)
City: Cambridge, MA
Date: Saturday, February 11, 2012

This was a great punk/metal lineup that I knew I had to be at when it was announced. This show was great, but it probably could have been even better if I wasn't sick that night :( (It turns out what I had developed into pneumonia, which fucking sucked). I started to feel like shit as the night went on, but all of the bands were awesome.

I got there about halfway into Havok's set. They are a great newer thrash band that I was excited to see. I was a little bummed I missed a few songs, but what I did see was sick, and they were a good way to start this show.

The show only got more punk from here. Toxic Holocaust came on next, and they are one of my favorite newer thrash bands, if not my favorite. Their black n punk style of thrash is perfect for me, and the songs just have so much energy. They played a decent setlist and made excellent use of their shorter set time. They were the only band I was able to really move around for, but I was second from the stage, so it was pretty damn fun! :blaze:

The Casualties came on next. A lot of people hate on this band, but I like them. Yeah its true I found out about them form hearing "Unknown Soldier" in Tony Hawh Underground 2 (great game series btw, i used to live for playing tose games), but I have gotten into them since then and I am a fan. Hearing them play live is awesome, they put on a great show and have lots of energy onstage. Too bad I couldn't get into them more though :(.

English Dogs closed out the show, playing their [I]Forward into Battle[/I] album in its wntirety. I really started listening to them to prepare for the tour, and I started to really like that album. So, hearing the whole thing live was certainly a treat :D. I started to really feel awful towards the end though, and had to duck out a little early, which I never like to do. But, it was still a sick show, and I am glad I was able to fight the pain for a few hours, even if it wasn't the healthiest decision haha.

Going to work now, I'll work on this more another time!

energymetal14 12-07-2012 12:29 PM

[QUOTE=mastodon421;500883]I really wanted to go that show. The lineup was awesome and Bodom's setlist was fucking amazing. I would've killed to see Kissing the Shadows live.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it was pretty awesome to hear :bowdown:. The drive was awful but it was definitely a fun show.

kalfitegrdan 12-07-2012 03:33 PM

Tony Hawk Underground 2 was fucking awesome. :fist: I didn't know The Casualties had a song in it.

Damn, pneumonia? You're a fucking trooper. I went to an Amon Amarth show with a flu before and that sucked a lot (show was amazing), but can't imagine doing it with something that serious.

Nice reviews. Keep it up, man.

hellawaits77ny 12-08-2012 04:14 AM

I'm the same way!!! I used to always buy a bottle of Jameson for St. Patty's day. Some nights have been great, others have not (throwing up Chinese food on myself)! A great whiskey.

energymetal14 12-08-2012 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=kalfitegrdan;500912]Tony Hawk Underground 2 was fucking awesome. :fist: I didn't know The Casualties had a song in it.

Damn, pneumonia? You're a fucking trooper. I went to an Amon Amarth show with a flu before and that sucked a lot (show was amazing), but can't imagine doing it with something that serious.

Nice reviews. Keep it up, man.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! Yeah it was rough, looking back it was pretty stupid to go :hecho: haha. Going with the flu sounds pretty bad too though.

[QUOTE=hellawaits77ny;500955]I'm the same way!!! I used to always buy a bottle of Jameson for St. Patty's day. Some nights have been great, others have not (throwing up Chinese food on myself)! A great whiskey.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Nice, Jameson on St. Patty's Day, I think I know my plans for this year :horns:

Today's a busy day for me, so I can't work on this list at all. I will definitely get back to it hopefully tomorrow though!