WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Is anyone interested in discussing gear? (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21721)

RampinUp46 11-03-2012 04:01 PM

Is anyone interested in discussing gear?

I don't know if anyone's done this yet or if it's a bad idea, but I was wondering if anyone would go for it:

Let's say you're playing an instrument or are currently wanting to play an instrument. Likely, someone on here knows how to play it and is willing to talk about gear you'd want to buy, stuff to avoid, helpful tips, scales to learn...even advice to get a specific sound for a genre (doom metal, black metal, whatever), or just posting pictures/talking about the shit they have on their instrument.

So if anyone has anything to say about this topic, post away.

dcmetal108 11-03-2012 04:17 PM

I have a cheap mic and a even cheaper amp I got as a handaway from a friend. That's all.

John The Drummer 11-03-2012 05:41 PM

Well snap, I'd love to chime in on this!

My set up is...

Drums: Mapex VX series w/ Pork Pie Snare
Cymbals: Sabian
Sticks: Vater Power 5B
Pedals: Axis Longboard
Triggers: Axis E-Kit w/ Alesis DM5 module
Hardware: Gibralter, Premier and Mapex

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/johndev/1102121840-00.jpg[/IMG]

dcmetal108 11-03-2012 06:24 PM

[QUOTE=John The Drummer;495278]Well snap, I'd love to chime in on this!

My set up is...

Drums: Mapex VX series w/ Pork Pie Snare
Cymbals: Sabian
Sticks: Vater Power 5B
Pedals: Axis Longboard
Triggers: Axis E-Kit w/ Alesis DM5 module
Hardware: Gibralter, Premier and Mapex

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/johndev/1102121840-00.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Not big enough. ;)

John The Drummer 11-03-2012 06:43 PM

[QUOTE=dcmetal108;495287]Not big enough. ;)[/QUOTE]

it used to be bigger :eyes:
...but that was a bitch to haul to every show :D

powerslave_85 11-03-2012 07:00 PM

Guitars:
DeArmond M-65C (tobacco sunburst)
Fender Standard Strat (midnight blue w/ lots of stickers on it)
Squier P-Bass (Olympic white w/ black pickguard)

Amps:
Orange Crush CR35LDX 1x10" (guitar)
Fender Rumble 15 1x8" (bass)

The DeArmond was my first guitar, and I really love it, but the neck needs to be adjusted because the action is way too high. Just bought the bass about a month ago and it's great. I've been wanting to play bass for a long time.

adamclark52 11-03-2012 07:01 PM

I have six guitars. Two of which are decent.
1. a La Patrie acoustic I bought twenty years ago. A decent guitar with a very soft sound. I don't know if they make them anymore but I know La Patrie, Quebec where it was made was destroyed in a flood in the mid-1990's
2. a Fender Stratocaster Squire (yes, a mexiStrat). Black and white, but covered with stickers and shit scratched into it. Again, I bought it twenty years ago when I really wanted an electric guitar and that was all I could afford.
3. a Simon & Patrick 12 string acoustic. It's probably the guitar I play the least but it's really good and has really good sound.
4. an Ibanez Gio bass (jet black) that I got around ten years ago. It's a good bass but I always tend to play it like a guitar.
5. my pride and joy; my Jackson King-V (jet black). Not the best guitar by any stretch but it was the guitar I dreamed of having since I was a teenager.
6. a Jackson JS Dinky (dark blue) that I just bought off my brother for $50. It's a nice guitar, plays well but doesn't hold it's tune very well.

I've never been a gear-head. My amp is an old Fender Princeton that I bought fifteen years ago, again because it was the biggest thing I could afford. Pedal-wise all I have is a Boss Digital Delay that's really good, an MRX Blue Box that's awesome if you play stoner rock and a Digitech Death Metal pedal that I bought hoping to get the sound I was looking for fifteen years ago and was very disappointed. I think it's actually broken but I never bothered to fix it.

I'd love to get into buying stuff again but I have two children and a mortgage so I just can't

One thing I've learned over all my years of wasting money is SAVE UP FOR WHAT YOU REALLY WANT! Just because you have $500 now, save another $500 and get the guitar or amp that you really want. Even if it means waiting another year. Don't settle for anything or else you'll be like me, an old man who rushed and never found the sound he wanted and is now stuck with a bunch of gear that he doesn't really like.

powerslave_85 11-03-2012 07:08 PM

Yeah, in hindsight I wouldn't have bought a Strat if I had to do it again. I'd probably get rid of it if there were an easy way to get all the stickers off without destroying the finish.

adamclark52 11-03-2012 07:10 PM

I never owned a REAL Strat but I could never get rid of that guitar. Even though it's a piece of shit me, and that guitar have been through so much. Highschool, playing in a band, college, unemployment, attempts at recording a masterpiece, sitting on the couch playing along with wrestlers theme musics during RAW...

It's more my pedals and amps that I wish I put more time and money into.

RampinUp46 11-03-2012 09:28 PM

Glad to see this thread taking off...somewhat! I have a variety of guitars, however the guitar I play out of more than any of them is also the one that's been "customized" a lot - my Omen 6 (2005 Schecter, not a 2011 cheap piece of crap ;)). It has:

- A Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup.
- A Gibson Burstbucker ripoff (originally a Hamer bridge pickup) in the neck position. Originally, the pickups were a stock neck and an Invader ripoff in the bridge position with a split wire somewhere in it, causing an annoying hum.
- A satin finish, with duct tape covering the cracked finish by the input jack.
- Three stickers - a One-Eyed Doll sticker by the knobs, a DRI sticker next to it, and an "I Own You - Turn it Off!" TV sticker by the neck pickup.
- Two "Tone" knobs (it came with no knobs, so I bought two that fit it...and they just happened to be tone knobs).
- Strap locks with a leather strap I had lying around.

Counting the stickers, I spent about $98 on it ($59 for the pickup, $10 for the neck pickup, $20 for the strap locks, $5.50 for the knobs, $3.50 for the stickers), and I still need a good hardshell case for it. I may yank the Grover tuners off an old warped neck for it too, plus there's going to be the inevitable touring scars on it someday. Next in line to be "fixed up" is my C1+, and I'll post the progress made on it here someday too...