WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rush -- Buffalo, NY -- October 26th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21649)

Sanitarium78 10-27-2012 05:56 AM

Rush -- Buffalo, NY -- October 26th, 2012

Since I have no fuckin clue what that other poster was trying to accomplish on the other thread by only giving a partial setlist and the wrong date, I figured I create a proper one for it since you know, I WAS ACTUALLY THERE:D

Set One:

Subdivisions
The Big Money
Force Ten
Grand Designs
Limelight
Territories
The Analog Kid
Bravado
Where's My Thing? (with Drum Solo)
Far Cry

Set Two:

Caravan
Clockwork Angels
The Anarchist
Carnies
The Wreckers
Headlong Flight (with drum solo)
Halo Effect
Seven Cities of Gold
The Garden
Manhattan Project
Drum Solo
Red Sector A
YYZ
The Spirit of Radio

Tom Sawyer
2112: Overture/Temples Of Syrinx/Grand Finale

Great show as always from Rush. They really picked some good songs this tour to make sure Geddy's voice in in top form. I was really looking forward to hearing The Body Electric for the first time but i'm OK with Limelight taking it's place. The first set did need an extra hit in there to liven up the crowd a bit. The only thing I would do is move it down a few spots and maybe do it before or after Analog Kid.

All the Clockwork Angels stuff came off great live, well except for Halo Effect and The Garden which were completely snoozers. Halo isn't that good of a song to begin with and even with the string ensemble it doesn't have any buisness being played at all, let alone at every show. The Garden is good but was really lacking any punch to it live. The studio version has some life to it but the live version just doesn't. Something is off with that song live until Alex kicks in with the solo. Everything else from the new album came off flawless and it was cool to hear the string ensemble play along with that stuff live, even if I didn't realise there were that many string arrangements on the new album anyways. Maybe if the production on it wasn't so muddy I would've noticed.

Oh yeah, I got one of the shirts that Neil shot into the crowd. It actually hit the guy in the row in front of me right in the chest and he had no clue what the hell it was. Neil very quietly snuck out and shot them from behind his drum kit. You couldn't even tell he was doing it, if you weren't expecting it. The shirt landed between the seats and I noticed nobody picked it up. So after the show I waited for the row beneath me to clear out and I went down and found it:rocker:

The front of the shirt has Neil in a graduation cap and gown making a really goofy smile. The back of it says "Neil Peart shot this shirt at me, I feel smarter already":D

IrritatedTrout 10-27-2012 06:28 AM

That's awesome you got one of the shirts. Sucks to replace Body Electric/Middletown with a song they play all the time though.

Sanitarium78 10-27-2012 06:44 AM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;493958]That's awesome you got one of the shirts. Sucks to replace Body Electric/Middletown with a song they play all the time though.[/QUOTE]

People seem to forget that Limelight is one of those songs that got people into Rush. People don't fill arenas because of songs like Body Electric and Middletown, they do it because of songs like Limelight. That's the reason they play it so much and i'm fine with that. I'm not bored with that one like I am with Tom Sawyer or The Trees.

Who knows maybe something just wasn't working with the other two songs? I can see how Middletown would be lame as hell live. Limelight is always a crowd pleaser and it always comes off perfect, so why not go back to it? I like it as much as Body Electric and way more than the just OK Middletown. Every band has overplayed songs but there's a reason for it usually.

El Gordo 10-27-2012 07:36 AM

Limelight is one of the best songs ever written by anyone. There's nothing that sucks about putting it into the set.

IrritatedTrout 10-27-2012 09:21 AM

At the expense of rare songs? Yes, there is. Hell, I've only seen Rush twice and I'll take the rare stuff over the hits. The hits are great but I've always been a deep cuts person. Keeps things more interesting, especially once you've seen a band a lot.

It should be noted that I fucking love Middletown Dreams though. I've been addicted to it since I got Power Windows.

Sanitarium78 10-27-2012 04:35 PM

I was thinking it's possible that playing Limelight was a one time special thing for last night. Rush has always played Buffalo on just about every tour since the mid 70s but on the last tour there wasn't a date here. I wonder if the band remembered that they didn't play here on the last tour and that's why they gave us Limelight. Most people at this show didn't get to see them do all of MP last tour, so maybe they played it for that reason. We'll find out over the next few shows if it's a regular from now on or not.

El Gordo 10-27-2012 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;493974]At the expense of rare songs? Yes, there is. Hell, I've only seen Rush twice and I'll take the rare stuff over the hits. The hits are great but I've always been a deep cuts person. Keeps things more interesting, especially once you've seen a band a lot.

It should be noted that I fucking love Middletown Dreams though. I've been addicted to it since I got Power Windows.[/QUOTE]

Meh. I'd rather hear Limelight. It's one of my all-time favourites though, so I'm biased.

Sanitarium78 10-28-2012 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;493974]At the expense of rare songs? Yes, there is. Hell, I've only seen Rush twice and I'll take the rare stuff over the hits. The hits are great but I've always been a deep cuts person. Keeps things more interesting, especially once you've seen a band a lot.

It should be noted that I fucking love Middletown Dreams though. I've been addicted to it since I got Power Windows.[/QUOTE]

They only dropped one deep cut in favor of a hit. It's not like they made some drastic setlist changes mid tour and decided to do a greatest hits set for the rest of it. Even with the addition of Limelight, the set is still more deep cut/new material heavy. This one change doesn't disturb the balance too much.

Middletown is a good song but both Limelight and Body Electric whoop it's ass. Middletown gets a lot of love in certian circles of the Rush fanbase, it's been that way for years. I really don't get it, it's my least favorite on Power Windows. With songs like Grand Designs, Manhattan Project, Marathon, Territories and Mystic Rythms, Middletown just doesn't stand out at all.

IrritatedTrout 10-28-2012 03:59 PM

For me the only song that is really lackluster from PW is Mystic Rhythms. It just seems completely average which is a shame because the rest of the album is awesome.

maidenpriest 10-28-2012 10:17 PM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;494230]For me the only song that is really lackluster from PW is Mystic Rhythms. It just seems completely average which is a shame because the rest of the album is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Blashpemy! lol Mystic Rhythms is one of my alltime favorites. And was fantastic live