WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Melechesh -- Seattle, WA -- October 25th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21644)

John The Drummer 10-26-2012 03:13 PM

Melechesh -- Seattle, WA -- October 25th, 2012

***NOTE: The after show shenanigans are worth reading if this is TL;DR***

October 25, 2012
Studio 7
Seattle, WA
[B]Septicflesh, Krisiun, Melechesh, Ex Deo, Inquisition, Terra Morta[/B]

That's right, I put Melechesh as the header, problem? :finger:

So last night was possible one of the greatest nights in my concert going history. I arrived at Studio 7 an hour before doors so I could hang out with my friends and grab some food next door at the SoDo Deli (Honey Mustard Chicken Bacon sammich, mmm mmm BITCH). This show also doubled as my birthday party since A) My birthday is today, B) All of my friends were there, and C) Amazing line up.

To kick off the night were my good friends [B]Terra Morta[/B]. Terra Morta is by far my favorite band from this area. They don't sound like any of the other bands from around here, and they are in the same "section" of the scene as my band Funeral Age is (not involved in it). They play a blend of Blackened Death with a ton of atmosphere. They only played 3 songs, but since their songs are all about 10 minutes long, they didn't have much time for more. I am not just saying this because they are my friends, but this was the best I have ever heard them, the sound man had them dialed in perfectly.

Bad quality of how they sound now- [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiBdK6KAjek&feature=relmfu[/url]
Good quality of what they used to sound like - [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fE6d3N2aFw8[/url]

After their amazing set I went outside for a quick breath of cold air in preparation for the mighty Inquisition! Here is the deal, Inquisition is from here in Seattle (well... not Seattle, but general area) yet they never play here, ever. Every show they have had here got canceled for one BS reason or another, so everyone was eagerly awaiting their set!

After a record breaking set up (well... two people, so it can't take THAT long) [B]Inquisition[/B] started their set! Everyone was still outside smoking and were not ready for the onslaught. For a two piece, they put on an insanely powerful and entertaining set. The faces and stage movements of Dagon reminded me so much of Abbath, but possible a little more goofy at times, and Incubus' drumming was insanely powerful!!! He looks so stiff, but can crush those drums like no other. During the second to last song (I think) Dagon broke a string and had to switch guitars, thus returning with the funny quote "Sorry guys... got a bit excited." The set was the same as other dates I believe. I felt there were way too many new songs and not enough from past albums, but oh well. As a side note, Dagon said they would be back in early 2013 with [B]Moonspell[/B] :drool:

I took refuge in the bar throughout a majority Ex Deo's set and caught up with some friends and chatted with ImmortalEmperor from here for quite a while. [B]Ex Deo[/B] sounded alright, but they just come off as a bit cheesy at times. I wouldn't mind Kataklysm calling it quits and just doing Ex Deo full time. But anways, they still have a cool stage look, and at one point I yelled "YOU'RE FROM CANADA, NOT ANCIENT ROME!" Right as they hit their last note I hightailed it to the front of the stage in preparation for my band of the night, MELECHESH!

Holy... fucking... shit. I had seen [B]Melechesh[/B] on their previous US tour with Rotting Christ, which was an absolute dream come true... but having this at a much better sounding venue made it insanely better. Their set was the same, but I had no complaints with that. Everyone was top notch, and Ashmedi was a blast with how much he played with the crowd. I had more worries since I had watched some videos from this tour, and the drummer seemed a bit sloppy at times, but he played absolutely flawlessly and was so fun to watch. I don't think I had ever head banged that much since back when I was in High School. I was a bit bummed that Moloch wasn't there since him and I hit it off last time they came through, but the new guitarist played everything to a T and looked like he was having a blast.

After their set (which I am still freaking out over :D) I headed up to the bar for a birthday drink. I wasn't able to catch much [B]Krisiun[/B] since I was exhausted and was catching up with people, but they sounded powerful and spot on. I ran into Ashmedi in the bar and he was just walking around socializing with everyone. I threw him the horns, he threw a fist into my side (as if we were best friends or something :lol: ).

After Krisiun's set I headed back inside for [B]Septicflesh[/B]. Now, work with me here, I had just witnessed one of my favorite bands perform an amazing set, so I was exhausted. Septicflesh put on a very great show, but near the mid-end of it I felt it could have ended :eyes:. I wasn't NOT enjoying it, I was just exhausted! Either way, they played all of my favorite songs (except for Theriantrophy). As others have said, not having the clean vocals is a bit of a let down. When i saw them with Devin Townsend they had clean vocals sampled in with the orchestrations (pre-recorded), but it was still a great set. Me and a couple friends even cranked dat Soulja Boy :horns:. Mid-way through their set my friend Margaret (drummer of Terra Morta) saw Ashmedi rocking out up front, so she went and joined him. They ended the set, and did not come back out for an encore, as they had done on previous dates, but this was very welcomed and felt it ended on a high note!

[B][U][COLOR="Red"]Now here is where the good shit happens[/COLOR][/U][/B] :D

After the show I was hanging out inside the venue and talking to my bassist, then all of a sudden the new touring guitarist of Melechesh came up and just started a conversation with me. I asked how long he had been with Melechesh and he said the main reason he is on the tour is because he has a passport, and thats about it :lol: . After a conversation with him, their drummer comes down from the bar, then Ashmedi came out from backstage (OMG FANBOY MOMENT).

Ashmedi was TRASHED. And Xul (drummer) was laughing at how goofy he was being. Margaret of Terra Morta went up to Ashmedi and introduced herself, told him she was the drummer of the opening band, and Ashmedi went...

"YOU ARE MYYYYY DRUMMER!!!" and gave her a huge hug :lol: :lol: :lol:

Xul then said "Hey! I thought [I]I[/I] was your drummer!" After a ton of awkward drunk hugging, Ashmedi asked Margaret to marry him and Xul exclaimed "HEY MAN! That was my line!" Margaret told Ashmedi she was already married, thus causing Ashmedi to reply "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?" He then drunkenly stumbled off as I said my farewells to Xul and the new guy (didn't catch his name). I really wanted a picture with all of them, but my phone had JUST died :(

Anyways, good times and I cannot wait for Melechesh to come back :rocker:

bigguytoo9 10-26-2012 05:26 PM

I saw this tour the night before here in Van.

Inquisition started at like 7:15(??!?!?!?!) and I got to the venue around 730, took me a few minutes to buy a ticket at the door. Walked in and they were walking off :flame:

Anyway, [B][U]Ex-Deo[/U][/B] was pretty decent. I know it's the lead singer from Kataklysm and that they play Roman Themed Metal or some kind but I really had not checked them out before. Turns out, I quited enjoyed the set, costumes and all! The guitarist can play a tune for sure, not to everyone's taste I bet but it was still good. Some occasionally awesome solo work.

[B][U]Melechesh[/U][/B] came on next and they fuckin slayed :rocker: I am only really famillier with the Emesarries album but the new stuff and some older songs really brought it. The new touring guitarist as mentioned by the OP can play pretty well for a fill in guy. I was watching how fast both guitarists were picking during some of the songs and it was almost mindblowing.

[B][U]Krisiun[/U][/B] came up next and of course if anyone's seen them live they know, Krisiun rips you apart, ressurects you and does it ALL OVER AGAIN!!! I also noobishly found out the day of the show, the members are all brothers. People were asking me... "Dont they all look alike???" and I mentioned that fact.

[B][U]Septic Flesh[/U][/B] the headliners, I had heard on the COB, Devy, Obscura tour that SF was INSANE with a super heavy stage presence and all.
They sure didnt dissapoint, I had not heard them prior to this concert but quite enjoyed their Operatic style of Metal. The synth parts are NOT played by anyone on stage. It's all back tracked which was kind of a bummer but who's complaining. They played roughly 12 songs I think. I dont know the setlists from any of the bands sorry. Maybe Setlist.fm has em!

Anyway, if anyone here is thinking about hitting this tour up, they should do so!

John The Drummer 10-26-2012 07:30 PM

[QUOTE=bigguytoo9;493893]

Anyway, [B][U]Ex-Deo[/U][/B] was pretty decent. I know it's the lead singer from Kataklysm and that they play Roman Themed Metal or some kind but I really had not checked them out before. Turns out, I quited enjoyed the set, costumes and all! The guitarist can play a tune for sure, not to everyone's taste I bet but it was still good. Some occasionally awesome solo work.

[/QUOTE]

It's actually just Kataklysm under a different name :lol:
[url]http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ex_Deo/3540283566[/url]

Palabra de Dios 10-26-2012 07:49 PM

Inquisition always takes a while to set up, but it doesn't matter. Their perfectionism pays off because they are one of the best live black metal bands in any country.

Dagon becomes the guitar. I love seeing them so much.

Blasphemor 10-26-2012 11:27 PM

Damn, if I had known it was your birthday I would have bought you a drink. I'll buy you a belated one after your set with Dying Fetus in December.

But on to last night's show. I came for Melechesh and Inquistion but Terra Morta was surprisingly good - I'd never heard them before. So glad we in Seattle finally got to see Inquisition! They put on a great set. Some highest quality black metal you can ever see.

Melechesh just fucken slayed it! My neck is still sore from all the headbanging I did during their set.:rocker: As said Ashmedi (referring to the crowd) "you aren't many but you are very loud!" I really wish the metal community in Seattle was bigger so that we could pack a place like Studio 7 for a tour like this. I'm bummed that I missed getting to talk to Ashemdi up in the bar. I was down watching Krisiun's first few songs. ImmortalEmperor came down to find me but when we got back up there he had gone backstage. I just hope they come back soon because they are one of my favorite metal bands.

We were beat so we bailed 3 or 4 songs into Septic Flesh. Not because they aren't good, I'd just spent all my energy by then.

Get out there and support these tours. We need more of these and less of the MonsterHotTopic shlock tours out there.

John The Drummer 10-27-2012 01:02 PM

[QUOTE=Palabra de Dios;493914]Inquisition always takes a while to set up, but it doesn't matter. Their perfectionism pays off because they are one of the best live black metal bands in any country.

Dagon becomes the guitar. I love seeing them so much.[/QUOTE]

Guess I worded that funky. I meant that Inquistion took no time at all setting up. They were playing within 10 minutes of Terra Morta ending, I'd think.

[QUOTE=Blasphemor;493937]Damn, if I had known it was your birthday I would have bought you a drink. I'll buy you a belated one after your set with Dying Fetus in December.

But on to last night's show. I came for Melechesh and Inquistion but Terra Morta was surprisingly good - I'd never heard them before. So glad we in Seattle finally got to see Inquisition! They put on a great set. Some highest quality black metal you can ever see.

Melechesh just fucken slayed it! My neck is still sore from all the headbanging I did during their set.:rocker: As said Ashmedi (referring to the crowd) "you aren't many but you are very loud!" I really wish the metal community in Seattle was bigger so that we could pack a place like Studio 7 for a tour like this. I'm bummed that I missed getting to talk to Ashemdi up in the bar. I was down watching Krisiun's first few songs. ImmortalEmperor came down to find me but when we got back up there he had gone backstage. I just hope they come back soon because they are one of my favorite metal bands.

We were beat so we bailed 3 or 4 songs into Septic Flesh. Not because they aren't good, I'd just spent all my energy by then.

Get out there and support these tours. We need more of these and less of the MonsterHotTopic shlock tours out there.[/QUOTE]

Terra Morta is definitely one of the better local bands here, as I posted :rocker:

It was a bummer to see not that many people there. I have played shows to numerous different genres, and it seems the Folk or Death Metal crowd definitely have the biggest draw, even though bands like these guys put on an amazing show.

And don't worry about the drink! I was trying to not tell anyone it was my Bday since I had to work the next day and I knew everyone would offer me drinks :lol:

John The Drummer 10-28-2012 09:01 AM

Here are some videos a friend of my shot. GREAT quality!

Inquisition - "Embraced By The Unholy Powers Of Death And Destruction"
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDF2q6qucXo&feature=plcp[/url]

Melechesh - "Sacred Geometry"
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJGQiQvbhNg&feature=plcp[/url]

Krisiun - "Combustion Inferno"
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-gncp7tOhg&feature=plcp[/url]