WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Conquerors of the World Tour -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 12th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21570)

adamclark52 10-14-2012 10:35 PM

Conquerors of the World Tour -- Toronto, Ontario -- October 12th, 2012

Conquerors of the World Tour
Featuring: Septicflesh, Krisiun, Melechesh, Ex Deo, Inquisition
Date: Friday October 12th, 2012
Venue: the Annex Wreckroom in Toronto, Ontario

I’m not very familiar with any of the bands on this tour save Krisiun, who I have a few albums by and saw live a few years ago with Obituary and was totally blown away by. I remember reading about Inquisition a lot on this site late last year so I was really interested in seeing them and I heard a lot about Melechesh a few years ago but never got around to listening to them. Ex Deo I have only heard of (but I do enjoy Kataklysm, not that I expected them to sound the same) and I’d never heard of Septicflesh.

This was an early show (which I’ll get into later) and I ended up getting there halfway through Inquisitions set. I was really impressed with the three songs I did heard, especially their last song, which had some wicked string bending in the main riff and some cool clean vocals. I think it’s called [I]Desolate Funeral Chant[/I]. They had to cut their set short and were done by 6:30. The singer said they’d be back in March though, if they’re playing on a night I can go I think I’ll defiantly be there. Even if they’re opening for someone I don’t like. They’re that cool.

Ex Deo had to cancel their appearance tonight due to scheduling conflicts with Kataklysm playing somewhere in Europe.

Melechesh came on at 7pm and they really weren’t that good. Bad sound for the first half of their set was a big part of it. But I was expecting something more technical for some reason. And their vocalist sucked. Their bass player sang back up and a few leads and he was actually really good. If they switched to him singing all leads I’d probably like them a lot more. They had to cut their set short too.

[U]Melechesh[/U]
1. ?
2. ?
3. Illumination: The Face Of Shamash
4. ? (from the latest album, I heard him say ‘Ring of Beggabalin’)
5. Triangular Tattvic Fire
6. Rebirth of the Nemesis

Krisiun was the big reason I went to the show. Unfortunately their sound was crap for the first couple of songs. And just as they were hitting their stride the club told them to pack it up and they had to cut three songs out of their set and finish up. It was pretty disappointing. If anything was different from tonight than when I saw them three years ago they weren't quite as crushing. That's largely due to the crappy sound of the whole night and just not having as professional a crew with them as they did at the Obituary show. They really would've benefitted from a second guitarist to beef up their sound, and distortion on the bass guitar. The bass sounded like shit the whole set.

[U]Krisiun[/U]
1. ?
2. Combustion Inferno
3. The Will to Potency
4. Vicious Wrath
5. Vengeance's Revelation
6. ?

Septicflesh had a lot of problems setting up and it took them longer to get ready to play then Krisiun even got TO play. Like every other band they sounded terrible to start and since I’d never heard them I was about to leave. But by the third song the sound guy had fixed them up. After that I thought they were really good, especially the slower songs. Their singing looks like he wants to be David Vincent. But who doesn’t? Of course, the club told them to finish up after forty-five minutes.

[U]Septicflesh[/U]
1. The Vampire From Nazareth
2. Communion
3. A Great Mass of Death
4. Virtues of the Beast
5. Unbeliever
6. Pyramid God
7. Persepolis
8. Anubis

The show was over by 10pm. Usually I don’t mind that but with so many bands on the bill it was shit that they all had to cut their sets short. If Ex Deo HAD been there then everyone would’ve gotten a half an hour tops. That was bullshit. The bands kept trying to blame the bad sound and short sets on the fact that it was the first night of the tour and everything was in chaos. But I’m pretty sure I’ve been to shows on the first night of a tour that weren’t like this. The bad sound, maybe. But not cutting everyone's set so short. It was in a bar and the owners just wanted us out because they’d make more money from the bar scene. I left this show with a bad taste in my mouth. I was expecting a lot more.

W0unds 10-15-2012 04:31 AM

Definitely agree with many statements made in your review. I was not expecting such short set times and the early cutoff until I arrived at the venue and saw the posters for 90's night @ 10pm.

The sound issues were unexpected but every band had problems and SepticFlesh sounded super crackly. Once they finally got rolling they sounded really great but it sucked knowing their set was going to be very short - I was glad we got to hear Unbeliever though.

I will have to keep this experience in mind next time I am considering a show at the Wreck Room, when I saw TBDM a few months back here there wasn't any issues. If they are going to half ass metal shows I wish they would just pass and let the bands play another similar sized venue in the city (Hard Luck, Sneaky Dee's).

adamclark52 10-15-2012 09:13 AM

Every other time I've been at the Wreckroom has been pretty good. I was considering it one of my favorite venues, until this show.

W0unds 10-15-2012 01:04 PM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;492794]Every other time I've been at the Wreckroom has been pretty good. I was considering it one of my favorite venues, until this show.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, they have never done the early cutoff in the past when I have been there. Sound quality was not an issue before either but at this show it was mixed pretty poorly and sounded very crackly and distorted.

Did you see the guy in full suit + tie rocking out to Melechesh and Krisiun? Pretty awesome.

tenchimyo 10-16-2012 08:56 AM

sounds like a night plagued with disappointment. Especially lack of EX DEO and various technical issues :/

adamclark52 10-16-2012 10:39 AM

[QUOTE=W0unds;492850]Agreed, they have never done the early cutoff in the past when I have been there. Sound quality was not an issue before either but at this show it was mixed pretty poorly and sounded very crackly and distorted.

Did you see the guy in full suit + tie rocking out to Melechesh and Krisiun? Pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

I think I saw him come flying out of the pit once. It was a lot more diverse a crowd than I expected. It was a bigger crowd than I expected too.