WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   High On Fire -- Sydney, Australia -- September 29th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21507)

fletchzer 09-29-2012 05:22 PM

High On Fire -- Sydney, Australia -- September 29th, 2012

Tough choices in Sydney last night - 3 shows on Saturday that all clashed, including Ulcerate (who I'd have loved to have seen too!)

The venue was Manning Bar, which sits in the middle of the University of Sydney grounds, and accommodates around 900 people. I bought my ticket on the day and it said number ~350, so I don't think it had come close to selling out.

The opening band was Summonus, a local support. Sludgey Sabbath / HoF riffs, good, but not great.

Shortly after they finished Matt Pike emerged (shirtless as per usual) and did his own gear check, which is always cool to see.

HoF came on at 10:10 and finished at just after 11:30. The set was solid, new songs sounded pretty damn good live, and they put on a very tight show. I'd have probably expected a little longer for a band with such a great back catalogue, and would have loved a couple more from DITC or even some from the new one, especially Bloody Knuckle or Romulus and Remus. That being said, I can't really complain, the show was great!

Serums of Liao
Frost Hammer
10,000 Years
Devilution
Last
Fertile Green
Speedwolf
Rumors of War
DII
Turk
Madness of an Architect
Snakes for the Divine

Onioner 09-29-2012 05:31 PM

Last and 10,000 Years! Fuckin nice set, too short as usual of course. Good selection all across the board and it's cool to see DII back. Also satisfied with the new songs played. I seriously can't wait for the December shows now.

mankvill 09-29-2012 05:32 PM

Hopefully they play more songs on their US tour, but that set is good for what it is! :D

fletchzer 09-29-2012 07:27 PM

Yeah, I would have thought they'd have played longer - it was a headline show w/ no international supports.

Was holding out for Fury Whip / Waste of Tiamat, but oh well!

10,000 Years and Madness of an Architect were both awesome live.

anomynous 09-29-2012 08:57 PM

Warhorn & King of Days need to be added

JRA 09-30-2012 07:57 AM

[QUOTE=anomynous;490893]Warhorn & King of Days need to be added[/QUOTE]

absolutely

and 10,000 Years is fuckin sick live

bigguytoo9 09-30-2012 10:05 AM

Yup, the inclusion of 10,000 Years just makes this as good as it can get!!!! I hope Pike and Co. play this when the North American tour starts this Winter.

Onioner 09-30-2012 10:38 AM

King of Days is essential. I can't even imagine how amazing that song would be live if they could mix the bass and guitar solos right.

HugeRockStar 09-30-2012 05:18 PM

I hope they keep this same set for the North American tour only add King of Days. Perfect song choices.

Natrlhi 10-01-2012 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=fletchzer;490884]Yeah, I would have thought they'd have played longer - it was a headline show w/ no international supports.

Was holding out for [B]Fury Whip / Waste of Tiamat[/B], but oh well!

10,000 Years and Madness of an Architect were both awesome live.[/QUOTE]They could have substituted one of those for DII, for example. I've nothing against the track, but in a live setting I'd rather get an ass-kicker like Fury Whip or Waste of Tiamat than an instrumental.

That said, this does look like a fun set overall, and as others have noted, dusting off killer old tracks like 10,000 Years and Last is stupendous. Speedwolf is another great deep cut, and I've been lucky enough to hear that one live a time or two before. This tour should be fucking awesome. :rocker: