WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Enslaved - RIITIIR (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21499)

hb420 09-28-2012 09:38 PM

Enslaved - RIITIIR

So the album came out today in Europe and leaked yesterday. What are the opinions you guys have on it? I have had it for a while now and still have not come up with a truly solid opinion on it. I'm afraid to say as the only other really big Enslaved fanboy besides diamonos that I know of on here that it's disappointing. They had been on one of the greatest five album streaks in the history of extreme metal starting with Below The Lights. This one just totally veers more into their progressive side than needed. Giving Herbrand the majority of the vocal time was not a great idea as well. It's so much better than most of the garbage out there but by Enslaved standards it's just barely above average. I will post a more detailed review in this thread when I get a chance but those are my thoughts for now. Roots of the Mountain is the best song on the album.

daimonos 09-29-2012 10:46 AM

I still haven't heard it, I'm waiting for my preorders to come in the mail. I have a few friends who are really into Enslaved and they like it alot, so we'll see how I feel about it when it gets here.

MPF 09-29-2012 11:03 AM

I happen to believe that it is one of their best albums so far. I think they hit the right ratio of Prog/Black Metal this time around so it can be enjoyed by both sides. It's a stellar album.

adamclark52 09-29-2012 11:25 AM

I won't be getting it until later next week but I wasn't too impressed by the one song I heard so far, or by their last two albums really. They peaked with Ruun. Vertebra and Axomia had some really good songs but overall were letdowns to me. I'm nervous about this one.

hb420 09-29-2012 12:11 PM

[QUOTE=MPF;490813]I happen to believe that it is one of their best albums so far. [B]I think they hit the right ratio of Prog/Black Metal this time around so it can be enjoyed by both sides[/B]. It's a stellar album.[/QUOTE]

Nope. ;) That was Axioma, this is far more unbalanced.

MPF 09-29-2012 01:31 PM

[QUOTE=hb420;490823]Nope. ;) That was Axioma, this is far more unbalanced.[/QUOTE]

While that is a fantastic album. I like the ratio of RIITIIR more. Then again I am a Prog nerd so this is right up my alley.

daimonos 10-14-2012 11:17 PM

I've been listening to this alot for the past week. Not completely sure how I feel about it yet but I know that I definitely like it. I just haven't completely absorbed it yet, I feel like it might take a little while. Hell, it even took me a week or two to fully get Axioma, so we'll see.

W0unds 10-15-2012 07:37 AM

I have been liking the new album, feels like just the right mix of prog and black - hope they don't go any softer than this though.

I don't think its as good as Axioma but still very enjoyable.

adamclark52 10-15-2012 09:21 AM

Yeah, I'm not too into it. I just find the songs don't have enough character. And It's to long. Forty-five minutes is a better length for Enslaved.

The parts I do like are the flamenco guitar interlude in [I]Roots of the Mountain[/I], the first three minutes of [I]Storm of Memories[/I], and [I]Forsaken[/I] as a whole.

I still think they peaked with Isa and Ruun, I'd rank this in the lower-middle of their discography.

hb420 10-16-2012 08:12 AM

[QUOTE=adamclark52;492796]Yeah, I'm not too into it. I just find the songs don't have enough character. And It's to long. Forty-five minutes is a better length for Enslaved.

The parts I do like are the flamenco guitar interlude in [I]Roots of the Mountain[/I], the first three minutes of [I]Storm of Memories[/I], and [I]Forsaken[/I] as a whole.

I still think they peaked with Isa and Ruun, I'd rank this in the lower-middle of their discography.[/QUOTE]

Roots of the Mountain and Forsaken are easily still the best songs on the album. Would be absolutely incredible live. :drool: