WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Russian Circles -- Montreal, Quebec -- August 20th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=21187)

VoidFlame 08-21-2012 05:53 AM

Russian Circles -- Montreal, Quebec -- August 20th, 2012

Venue: Il Motore
Opening bands: Marriages, Chelsea Wolfe

I have to go to school so I don't have time for a review, but here's a very quick summary.

I had a band rehearsal so, I got to the venue a bit late. When I arrived, Marriages were playing their final song. I don't really remember how they sounded, but they were a trio with a female singer. My friends told me they were great. Something that was also striking was that the room was packed like I've never seen it before (except maybe for the Kylesa/Rosetta show), which was pretty cool, but made very hot and humid.

Chelsea Wolfe were a cool surprise. They created a wierd ambiance with their use of sampling and guitar/vocal effects and they gave an emotional performance. Their frontwoman's voice and the keyboardist/bassist's skills were impressive.

Russian Circles' show was spotless. They played about 75 minutes of beautiful, heavy and catchy post-rock (or post-metal) without lacking any of the power that is present on the albums and without saying a word to the crowd. Actually, everything sounded more overwhelming than on record: the bass tone was crushing, the drums were bone-shattering and the guitar filled every corner of the venue. Some of the parts were pretty mesmerizing. Great overall show!

[B][U]Russian Circles[/U][/B]

Harper Lewis
Geneva
Carpe
Schiphol
Youngblood
MlÓdek
Death Rides a Horse

Natrlhi 08-21-2012 07:04 AM

Sweet Satan I love these guys. Sounds like yet another awesome set by one of the best post-rock / post-metal acts in existence today.

Plus, you got Schipol. You lucky bastard. :bouville: :finger:

VoidFlame 08-21-2012 07:37 AM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;483531]Sweet Satan I love these guys. Sounds like yet another awesome set by one of the best post-rock / post-metal acts in existence today.

Plus, you got Schipol. You lucky bastard. :bouville: :finger:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the song selection was awesome! Not too short, not too long (especially for the quantity of fatigue I had gathered in the last few days). Songs like [I]309[/I], [I]Carpe[/I] and [I]Geneva[/I] sounded enormous live! They also had a long atmospheric intro before the first song. I just would have liked to hear more songs from "Geneva".

Natrlhi 08-21-2012 07:45 AM

[QUOTE=VoidFlame;483541]I just would have liked to hear more songs from "Geneva".[/QUOTE]Maybe, but if they were gonna pick just one, they sure as fuck picked the right one. :bowdown: ;)

VoidFlame 08-21-2012 07:49 AM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;483543]Maybe, but if they were gonna pick just one, they sure as fuck picked the right one. :bowdown: ;)[/QUOTE]

That's for sure! :rocker:

Coma323 08-21-2012 05:47 PM

Death Rides a Horse destroys live.

Rocco44 08-21-2012 07:51 PM

[QUOTE=Coma323;483630]Death Rides a Horse destroys live.[/QUOTE]

This. That song is probably going to be the primary reason for my future neck problems.

I think this was the same setlist at the show I went to. This band brings me such joy.

bobbie solo 08-21-2012 09:46 PM

Get On My Horse?