WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Iced Earth -- Louisville, KY -- July 21st, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20932)

wrecking_crew 07-21-2012 10:14 PM

Iced Earth -- Louisville, KY -- July 21st, 2012

It was a full set list by Iced Earth since they weren't supporting or co-headlining with anyone on this date (two local bands played 1/2 hour sets prior to Iced Earth.)

Set list is a little different from when I saw them in Columbus, OH back in March with Symphony X and Warbringer. Nine songs are the same but all the others were different. Nice to see "Burning Times" make the list this time and I was pleasantly surprised that "Invasion"/"Motivation Of Man"/"Setian Massacre" were added. "Dark City" from the current album, Dystopia, was dropped but the 4 other "new" songs still stayed in the set from the last time I saw them. Also, the lengthy "Dante's Inferno" got dropped this time. I don't know if that was planned or if it was due to time constraints (the city has a curfew and Iced Earth were hurrying through their set to try to beat it.)

As for the venue, it was a very small place. I bet there were no more than 200 (give or take 50) people in the audience. The legal occupancy for that room in which Iced Earth were playing had to be close to full...(I don't know about the other rooms in the place, as there was other stuff going on at the same time.) Anyway, it was a very intimate setting...The stage was very small and the floor was small, while most people were just at tables and at the bar watching. Everyone in the place was no further than 50-75 feet away from the stage. Not a bad seat in the entire place. Stu Block even mentioned that the venue was the smallest, most intimate venue that they've played on this tour.

Stu's vocals were dead on and he sounded great (I think he sounded better than when I saw them in Columbus.) Jon, Troy, Brent and the new/fill-in bass player didn't miss a note either. I was completely sober for this concert, whereas in Columbus I had a couple brews. I believe, IMO, they were better for this Louisville show. Maybe the opinion is biased because of the intimacy of the venue and because I had nothing to drink.

Set list:

01. Dystopia
02. Burning Times
03. Invasion (tape recording intro leading into Motivation of Man and Setian Massacre)
04. Motivation of Man
05. Setian Massacre
06. Angels Holocaust
07. I Died for You
08. V
09. Pure Evil
10. Wolf
11. Anthem
12. Declaration Day
13. Days of Rage
14. Dracula
15. My Own Savior
16. Watching Over Me

Encore:
17. Damien
18. Iced Earth

rjturtle9 07-21-2012 11:05 PM

More Dark Saga please. Thank you.

Onioner 07-21-2012 11:35 PM

Three songs from Horror Show? Hells yes! But turtle is right though, it definitely needs more Dark Saga.

maidenpriest 07-21-2012 11:36 PM

Would love to see Stu sing Wolf and Dracula. Surprised at 3 songs off Horror Show

Sanitarium78 07-22-2012 05:43 AM

My consern isn't about them playing more off Dark Saga, it's about them choosing the worst song off the album to play. So, isn't this the first time Wolf has been played in like 10 years?

wrecking_crew 07-22-2012 06:42 AM

[QUOTE=Sanitarium78;478513]My consern isn't about them playing more off Dark Saga, it's about them choosing the worst song off the album to play. So, isn't this the first time Wolf has been played in like 10 years?[/QUOTE]

Don't know about Wolf not being played in like 10 years. The first leg of this U.S. tour co-headlining with Symphony X, the set list was the same each night. But this second leg they were mostly supporting Volbeat with Hellyeah. Their set list was just limited to 9 songs during the support, but they were mixing up the list each night. They did play Wolf some of the nights supporting Volbeat. Just a few nights ago, their support of Volbeat finished up and they had 4 U.S. dates added in which they are headliners (Louisville, being one of them.)

My guess is they are going to switch up a few songs each of those 4 nights to get ready when they go over to Europe for some Festivals and more Dystopia European Tour dates. They'll want to be sharp when they get to Cyprus because they will be filming and recording a live album and live DVD set. I expect the set list for that to be big (not as big as Alive In Athens since that was shot and recorded over more than 1 night.)

Grayfox 07-22-2012 11:51 AM

I'm just stoked to see three songs from Horror Show in one set. And three awesome songs at that. That hasn't happened since 2002.

That Cyprus show is going to be great, I'm sure.

wrecking crew - when I talked to Brent a few weeks ago, he said that Jon was shooting to have around 30-32 songs in the set, so it is indeed possible that it'll be as big as Athens. Hopefully that won't put too much strain on Stu's voice - that's a lot of songs.

ravenheart 07-22-2012 02:19 PM

Hope Wolf stays in the set until the short European tour in December.

Sanitarium78 07-23-2012 05:21 PM

[QUOTE=wrecking_crew;478527]Don't know about Wolf not being played in like 10 years. The first leg of this U.S. tour co-headlining with Symphony X, the set list was the same each night. But this second leg they were mostly supporting Volbeat with Hellyeah. Their set list was just limited to 9 songs during the support, but they were mixing up the list each night. They did play Wolf some of the nights supporting Volbeat. Just a few nights ago, their support of Volbeat finished up and they had 4 U.S. dates added in which they are headliners (Louisville, being one of them.)

My guess is they are going to switch up a few songs each of those 4 nights to get ready when they go over to Europe for some Festivals and more Dystopia European Tour dates. They'll want to be sharp when they get to Cyprus because they will be filming and recording a live album and live DVD set. I expect the set list for that to be big (not as big as Alive In Athens since that was shot and recorded over more than 1 night.)[/QUOTE]

Well, no matter when they started doing Wolf again, I know it's been quite a few years since it's appeared in the set. Hopefully when they record the live DVD they'll play it because I would love to have a good version of that with Stu on vocals.