WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Baronness - Cake Frosting Diarrhea Discussion Thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20905)

JRA 07-18-2012 05:01 PM

Baronness - Cake Frosting Diarrhea Discussion Thread

I have not bought this yet but I have not heard good things about it. Shit like they got way too flowery and what have you. Fans opine here. Is this worth my time or should I turn my back and hope the voice of Ghost's singer grows a pair of balls?

IrritatedTrout 07-18-2012 05:18 PM

I like it. It's mellow for sure but unless you're a slave to the stupid mentality that brutality and heaviness is the only redeeming quality of music then you should try it out.

powerslave_85 07-18-2012 06:23 PM

I fucking love it.

mankvill 07-18-2012 06:24 PM

From what I've heard, it sounds amazing.

JRA 07-18-2012 07:05 PM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;477912]I like it. It's mellow for sure but unless you're a slave to the stupid mentality that brutality and heaviness is the only redeeming quality of music then you should try it out.[/QUOTE]

The thing I loved about Baroness (or at least their first two records) was they were a modern metal band but with all the classic metal trimmings: singing over Randy Blythe vocals, guitar solos etc. I didn't really like alot of the soft flowery moments on Blue Record but there were just enough so the whole thing tipped over. From what I gather the album is 3/4 that and 1/4 of actual metal (or at least Red Album style metal).

InFlamesOfBirchmen 07-18-2012 07:07 PM

If you listened to the Blue Album, you could tell they'd be heading in a different direction, so personally, I don't understand the surprise about the style change. Its still distinctly Baroness, its just a bit different from their previous output. Personally, I love it.

JRA 07-18-2012 07:35 PM

[QUOTE=InFlamesOfBirchmen;477931]If you listened to the Blue Album, [B]you could tell they'd be heading in a different direction,[/B] so personally, I don't understand the surprise about the style change. Its still distinctly Baroness, its just a bit different from their previous output. Personally, I love it.[/QUOTE]

True. It's just when I read shit like this from critics:

[I]If you enjoy your doom/stoner/groove rock spoon fed to you, well, get ready to scratch your heads and stare at Yellow & Green like a dog that has been shown a card trick.[/I]

That's a red flag indicating the album is going to suck hard.

There's also this quote from a former member from a long time ago:

[QUOTE=ADD;240251]The rendition of "Steel That Sleeps the Eye" they did reminded me of Staind. Staind is not what I want to be thinking about at a Baroness show. :hecho: [/QUOTE]

InFlamesOfBirchmen 07-18-2012 08:00 PM

Ah, jeez...yeah, some of the reviewers don't get it. Just go into it with an open mind and make up your own opinion. You may love it, you may hate it. On the bright side, if you hate it, you still have the old albums.

BloodoftheKings 07-18-2012 08:20 PM

It's my favorite Baroness album. Come at me fagets.

JRA 07-18-2012 08:32 PM

:lol: I don't quite think that candor is necessary.