WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Jon Oliva's Pain -- London, England -- July 15th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20876)

ravenheart 07-15-2012 01:52 PM

Jon Oliva's Pain -- London, England -- July 15th, 2012

Venue: The Garage
Support: Max Pie / Never A Hero
Set times: 21:00-22:40

Sirens
Gutter Ballet
Edge of Thorns
Don't Talk To Me
Power of The Night
Ghost In The Ruins
24 Hrs. Ago
Beyond The Doors of The Dark
Legions
Strange Wings
The Price You Pay
White Witch
Devastation
Prelude To Madness
Hall of The Mountain King
-------------
Child In Time
Believe

Onioner 07-15-2012 09:49 PM

All Savatage songs huh? Poor guy, he must really think that no one cares about his solo career (he wouldn't be wrong haha). There's no way in hell that Child in Time was good though, [I]no one[/I] should cover that song.

ravenheart 07-16-2012 04:02 AM

[QUOTE=Onioner;477219]All Savatage songs huh? Poor guy, he must really think that no one cares about his solo career (he wouldn't be wrong haha). There's no way in hell that Child in Time was good though, [I]no one[/I] should cover that song.[/QUOTE]

Not quite, there's the one Doctor Butcher song ;)

I want to see more JOP material. On all the European shows he's had to cut a few songs from the extended setlist, so pretty disappointed he cut all of the JOP ones, plus 'Tonight He Grins Again', which was on the list but they didn't have time to do.

'Child In Time' was pretty good. Better than hearing Ian Gillan do it these days. Jon should really stop drinking neat vodka straight from the bottle on stage though. By the end, his voice sounds like someone who's been drinking neat vodka straight from the bottle :hecho:

wroed 07-16-2012 05:56 AM

[QUOTE=ravenheart;477237]'Tonight He Grins Again', which was on the list but they didn't have time to do. [/QUOTE]
He cut that because he didn't have the sustain pedal for the keyboard.

[QUOTE=ravenheart;477237]Jon should really stop drinking neat vodka straight from the bottle on stage though. By the end, his voice sounds like someone who's been drinking neat vodka straight from the bottle :hecho:[/QUOTE]
Couldn't believe that and also how much he actually managed to consume!

Overall I enjoyed the show but that was after I'd adjusted my expectations (downwards) after a very difficult start to the show in terms of equipment and Jon's voice.

Maiden33 07-16-2012 10:58 PM

It's times like this I'm VERY happy I saw the show I saw. Longer show, including some actual JOP songs - and Jon didn't drink before the show or onstage from what I can recall. His voice sounded about as good as it always has at the show I saw (and yes, I could actually hear it, the sound mix was solid).

Also, regarding the Savatage thing: This was extensively billed, at least at the show in Florida, as a celebration of Savatage, it goes without saying that that's the focus of the show. Being that they HAVE to do the HOTMK album and you know there's always a few more that won't go away, I don't exactly know what some people were expecting. Furthermore, Jon doing Savatage songs to me is a natural thing. It's not like it's some ex-member of a currently active band going out there playing someone else's songs as an excuse for people to still care. Those songs are Jon's, and he has every right to go out and play them, and let's be honest here, for someone who is his age and in his physical condition, he's probably beating the average in terms of what most should expect - especially when you consider the abuse his voice has taken for 30 years now. Lastly, it's not like Savatage even exists anymore, so for people who love those songs (especially those who never got to actually see the band) this isn't exactly a purposeless thing.

That being said, if they're going to play any JOP song, they should play "The Dark". Outstanding track.

ravenheart 07-17-2012 03:13 AM

[QUOTE=Maiden33;477451]Also, regarding the Savatage thing: This was extensively billed, at least at the show in Florida, as a celebration of Savatage, it goes without saying that that's the focus of the show. Being that they HAVE to do the HOTMK album and you know there's always a few more that won't go away, I don't exactly know what some people were expecting. [/QUOTE]

I was expecting exactly what he played at every other show on the tour. The whole Mountain King, a few other Sava classics but not all of them because due to European curfews he has to drop two or three songs every night, one Doctor Butcher song, and two or three JOP songs. I didn't at all expect him to drop ALL of the JOP songs.

This set was always going to be Savatage-heavy, obviously. But NO Pain songs at all? Please.

As Dave said, Tonight He Grins Again was dropped due to equipment (Jon was using a borrowed keyboard and Kinder was on a tiny drumkit), but the JOP songs weren't even on the original setlist, so equipment wasn't to blame for their absence.

As for 'The Dark', I agree, but they basically don't play songs off the first album because of the label.

wroed 07-17-2012 07:37 AM

Here's our review and photos:

[url]http://www.rockersdigest.com/Article/407/Jon+Olivas+Pain[/url]

ravenheart 07-17-2012 08:55 AM

[QUOTE=wroed;477508]Here's our review and photos:

[url]http://www.rockersdigest.com/Article/407/Jon+Olivas+Pain[/url][/QUOTE]

Glad to see Johan got broadly similar results to me this time :D

Last time we were at the same place, A Pale Horse Named Death at the Borderline, he put me to shame! ;)