WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Marduk -- Montreal, Quebec -- June 4th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=20591)

VoidFlame 06-05-2012 07:33 AM

Marduk -- Montreal, Quebec -- June 4th, 2012

Venue: Foufounes Électriques

I arrived late to the venue in the purpose of missing local openers Hollow. They're some kind of gimmicky melodic black/death metal with keyboards and everybody seems to like them here because of their fancy make up and costumes. I personally find them pretty boring. I got there right when Weapon were supposed to start, but they were not ready yet. Someone told me it was because Hollow had finished late, which kinda pissed me off because both Weapon and Withered had to cut the last song from their respective sets. Nonetheless, Weapon fucking slayed. They seemed to lack space on the small stage (the drum was placed on the side, with 1349's kit in the back, not leaving much place for the misicians), but they still had some badass energy going on. Their middle-eastern death/black songs were exquisitely fun to hear live, and though most people didn't seem to know them, all seemed to enjoy them. They surely made new fans yesterday. As I said before, after "From the Devil's Tomb", they were about to play another tune, but they were told to cut it.

Aside from the quality of the four touring bands, something that impressed me was the sound mix: it wasn't excessively loud, every instrument was fully audible and the kick drums weren't burying the snare during the blast beats, which is very common at metal shows. Withered's guitar and bass tones were incredibly heavy. I had previously catched half of their set on their tour with Krallice and I was happy to see the whole thing this time. They were crushing: the blasting parts were pounding, the sludgy parts were overwhelming and melodic parts were fucking beautiful. Plus, the wall of long haired/bearded, huge headbanging dudes was impressive to see. Just like Weapon, they were cut short after "The Progenitor's Grasp".

Then came 1349. Surprisingly, the place was packed for them; there were far more people during their performance than during Marduk's. I can't remember if it was right when they started playing or for the second song, but the crowd went nuts. The pits were extremely violent and every non-mosher was headbanging and yelling. The band had a great stage presence (somewhat mysterious while being very friendly) and their sound was blistering. Jon Rice from Job for a Cowboy was filling in for Frost, and he did a hell of a job (see what I did there? :lol:). His blast beats were astoundingly fast; if I was blind, I would have sworn it was Frost drumming, but Jon looked less calm and much more strained that Frost when executing the songs (the un-black hair and the occasional minor mistakes were also giving him away). Anyway, this was one of the best black metal performances I've seen lately. I've built their setlist with notes I took on my phone on the riffs and vocals patters, because I didn't recognize all the songs at first, and it took me forever to assemble it, but I believe it is 100% correct. Setlist warrior at your service. :rocker:

Many people left after the norwegians finished playing (maybe because it was a monday night and they wanted to catch some sleep before going to work the next day), but still a lot of people stayed to see the black metal legends that are Marduk. I went out to get some money for CDs and to pass some flyers for a local show on friday, and when I came back, Marduk's intro started playing. They immediately bursted into the melodic black metal anthem "On Darkened Wings" (that riff :drool:). The crowd wasn't as reacting as I would have expected (though it got better throughout the set), but it didn't matter, because the swedes gave the most intense set I've seen this far for a black metal band. The blast beats were absolutely bone shattering, the band was perfectly tight and Mortuus' vocals were spot on. His interaction with the audience was pretty masterful too. As the set progressed, he managed to get more and more people headbanging, chanting and screaming. Around the middle of the performance, the pits started to become brutal again, but there weren't as many people as for 1349. Rocket fast songs like "Baptism by Fire" sure helped get things going. The mid-tempo ones like "Materialized in Stone" and "Womb of Perishableness" also brought a breath of fresh air in this whirlwind belligerent black metal. Other highlights were the two new songs they played; they sounded great live.

Like most people in the venue, I had an incredible time on this monday night black metal massacre. I was looking forward to it because of the outstanding tour line-up (seriously, I would have went for any of the four bands alone) and I was fully satisfied. At the end, I bought Weapon's most recent offering and Withered's two last ones to encourage these great bands in their north american trek and to fulfill my endless crave for CDs ;).

[B][U]Weapon[/U][/B]

The Inner Wolf
Furor Divinus
Vortex - 11724
From the Devil's Tomb

[B][U]Withered[/U][/B] (partial)

...The Fated Breath
Seek the Shrouded
The Progenitor's Grasp

[B][U]1349[/U][/B]

Maggot Fetus... Teeth Like Thorns
Necronatalenheten
The Devil of the Deserts
I Am Abomination
Riders of the Apocalypse
Serpentine Sibilance
When I Was Flesh
Sculptor of Flesh
Atomic Chapel

[B][U]Marduk[/U][/B]

On Darkened Wings
Nowhere, No-one, Nothing
The Black Tormentor of Satan
Serpent Sermon
Still Fucking Dead (Here's No Peace)
Warschau 2: Headhunter Halfmoon
Materialized in Stone
Baptism by Fire
Womb of Perishableness
Souls for Belial
Azrael
Throne of Rats
Panzer Division Marduk

-----------------------------------

With Satan and Victorious Weapons

kevin_headbanger 06-05-2012 12:17 PM

Looks like a great setlist...Going to see them tomorrow night in Ottawa, can't wait for it! It'll be my first time seeing Marduk, hope it's worth it!