WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Beyond Creation -- Montreal, Quebec -- March 30th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19987)

VoidFlame 03-31-2012 07:00 AM

Beyond Creation -- Montreal, Quebec -- March 30th, 2012

Venue: Foufounes Électriques
Opening band: Teramobil

At first, the show was supposed to start at 8:00 pm, but about 2 days ago there was a schedule change and it started at 7:30 instead. Since most people don't follow the posts on facebook event pages, when Teramobil began playing, there were very few people to watch them. They still gave a mindblowing performance. For those who don't know them, Teramobil are a new band featuring two members of Unhuman, and Forest (Beyond Creation, ex-Augury...) on bass. They play ultra-technical mathcore with some atmospheric parts and some occasional 8-string grooves. Seriously, they're three of the best musicians I've ever seen perform, especially the guitarist. He plays extremely fast and he makes tons of wierd noises with his guitar. Because of the intensity and the very frequent riff changes, a lot of people in the venue didn't seem to understand what was going on. Luckily, I had seen them rehearse their set a month ago, so I remembered the songs, which made their set much more enjoyble. Actually, I think that after a few listens, people will find their songs really catchy.

The second band is one of the rising stars of the Montreal technical death metal scene: First Fragment. They play neo-classical, Necrophagist/Spawn of Possession influenced death metal, but with the speed and violence of a grindcore band (tech-death fans, listen to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rA1B1U9Kjs"]this[/URL] immediately). For them, the place started to fill up and they got a very warm crowd reaction, including many pits. The sound mix was not perfect, but they were definitely tighter and heavier than when I saw them for the first time at the Hémisphère Gauche, which had horrible sound. The highlights in most of the songs were the guitar solos. They were fucking stellar; Phil Tougas never ceases to impress me with his skills. Another highlight was in "Fake Repentance", when Emmanuel Pronovost from Vengeful (probably the best death metal band of the 21st century and I'm not exagerating, [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpMWneCi_nk"]listen to this[/URL]) went on stage to growl with the band. The vocal duo was absolutely crushing. Also, the new songs, that are going to be featured on the band's debut album, were great: the songwriting made a huge leap forward from the first EP and "Tsion's Oath" is, in my opinion, their best song.

The direct supporting band, Unhuman, is one I was looking forward to see since a very long time. Even if they have never released an album (though they have 3 albums ready to be released), they've been around since 1995 and almost every metalhead here in Quebec has heard many times about them. The band features Youri Raymond, who played guitar and bass for Cryptopsy, on guitar and vocals. I knew they played some kind of wierd technical death metal and I had already heard Youri's inhuman (no joke intended here) vocal feats (I had heard his insect/alien screams in Cryptopsy and in guest performances for many bands, including Augury and Beyond Creation, and I've been told he made some monsters' voices in the [I]Prince of Persia[/I] game series), but I was still intrigued by the band. Let me say that they were not disappointing. Their performance was extremely intense and their songs were varied, while keeping the same wierd vibe: some songs had punk or grind parts and others had melodic/epic ones, but they all were brutal as hell. I also have to say that they had the best stage presence of the four bands that played. They moved a lot and Youri was very charismatic in his interactions with the crowd. I can't wait for that first album to be released! Come on, just look at that [URL="http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=334369326596739&set=a.334369323263406.86171.334369113263427"]awesome artwork[/URL]. If you want to hear a demo track, there is one on youtube called [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHPHqkwnokY"]Psychotic Afterlife[/URL].

Finally, for Beyond Creation, the venue was packed. The band is benefiting of a huge wave of popularity surrounding them here in Quebec; a buzz that is starting to spread around the world. This was my fourth time seeing them and it was their best set. They keep getting more precise and more brutal. The crowd went nuts for them and the pits were huge. Even if I'm not a huge progressive/techincal death metal fan, I really enjoyed their performance. The solos were epic and the drums were blasting. They played every song from their album, [I]The Aura[/I], except the interlude, plus a new song called "Earthborn Evolution". That tune was killer: it's much proggier than the other ones, but it still had intense moments. It kinda sounded like a mix between Cynic and Obscura. Also, as usual, they brought Youri Raymond on stage to sing "Le Détenteur". They ended this night of quality music with an encore consisting of their epic, over 10 minutes, album closer "The Deported", leaving everyone fully satisfied.

[B][U]First Fragment[/U][/B]

Ordnance
Paradoxal Subjugation
Obsolete Ascendancy
Tsion's Oath (new song)
Quintessential Rebirth
Fake Redemption
Vore (new song)
The Afterthought Ecstasy

[B][U]Unhuman[/U][/B] (partial)

Cheezy Gay Rock
La Promenade du Berceau
État de Contrôle
Individual Timeless Reality
Chaotic Equilibrium
The Faceless

[B][U]Beyond Creation[/U][/B]

No Request for the Corrupted
Injustice Revealed
Chromatic Horizon
Omnipresent Perception
Le Détenteur
Earthborn Evolution (new song)
Social Disabillity
The Aura
Coexistence

----------------------------------

The Deported

Alduin 03-31-2012 07:10 AM

my god... this is incredible:drool:, they need to bring this to toronto once in awhile

VoidFlame 03-31-2012 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=Alduin;456774]my god... this is incredible:drool:, they need to bring this to toronto once in awhile[/QUOTE]

I heard that First Fragment were going to play in Ontario in June, but I don't know with which bands, maybe Beyond Creation. Just follow their facebook page, it will probably be anounced soon.

jd091 03-31-2012 08:27 AM

That's pretty awesome! They should really be on Summer Slaughter sometime. I don't think I've ever even seen a pit for a technical death metal band.

AnataFan4Life 03-31-2012 04:53 PM

[QUOTE=jd091;456788]I don't think I've ever even seen a pit for a technical death metal band.[/QUOTE]

Decrepit Birth have some pretty violent pits actually.

christopher 03-31-2012 04:56 PM

[QUOTE=AnataFan4Life;456849]Decrepit Birth have some pretty violent pits actually.[/QUOTE]

Suffocation as well :D

AnataFan4Life 03-31-2012 05:00 PM

[QUOTE=christopher;456851]Suffocation as well :D[/QUOTE]

Everything about Suffocation is violent. I have to be careful not to get my own scrotum ripped off every time I listen to Effigy of the Forgotten.

Natrlhi 03-31-2012 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=jd091;456788]I don't think I've ever even seen a pit for a technical death metal band.[/QUOTE]Have you forgotten Origin already? :nonono:

treghet 03-31-2012 06:49 PM

[QUOTE=jd091;456788]I don't think I've ever even seen a pit for a technical death metal band.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? :lol: Every technical death metal band I've seen had pits going.

AnataFan4Life 03-31-2012 07:13 PM

[QUOTE=treghet;456864]Seriously? :lol: Every technical death metal band I've seen had pits going.[/QUOTE]

This.