WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Van Halen -- Washington, DC -- March 28th, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19963)

tenchimyo 03-29-2012 06:03 AM

Van Halen -- Washington, DC -- March 28th, 2012

Went to see Van Halen last night with my buddy and his dad. We heard a bit of Kool and The Gang play, but did not watch. No setlist for them, but assuming they played their hits.

There were a TON of people there. I'd not been to Verizon/MCI/whatever the hell it is called since WWE was still WWF and Stone Cold came back. A sea of constantly moving people (except by the merch and drink booths, those were packed) and so many people scalping tickets. We had some drinks and made our way up to the 205 section where our seats were.

The lights went down at about 9PM and they played until about 10:46PM. The band sounded GREAT, and it def was worth every penny. Some switch ups from the setlists I've seen posted, but pretty much the same. Dave (of course) flubbed the lyrics on more than a few songs, but his energetic antics, constant smile, and overall showmanship (jumps, kicks, splits, ridiculous gyrations) made up for it. Eddie and crew played flawlessly and were tight. Eddie himself was effortlessly making that guitar talk.

"I'll Wait" sounded extra good, I was surprised. Drum solo was zzz for me, I'd taken a piss break earlier mistakenly. "Blood and Fire" should have been swapped out for any other song. "Hang 'Em High" was a great addition

Before "Ice Cream Man" Dave was alone on the stage with an acoustic guitar and the screen (titantron?) showed footage of him and his dog... herding sheep. Apparently he does that on his off time, he was speaking about some sort of competition. So bizarre.
[LIST][*]Unchained[*]Running w/ The Devil[*]She's the woman[*]Full Bug[*]Tattoo[*]Everybody wants some[*]Somebody Get Me a Doctor[*]Chinatown (I took a Piss Break here)[*]Jamie's Crying[*]Pretty woman[*]Drum solo/ piss break[*]You really Got Me[*]Blood 'n fire[*]Dance the night away[*]Ill wait ( Dave forgot the words and said so)[*]Hot for Teacher[*]Women in love[*]Hang em high[*]Beautiful girls[*]Sheeps and Dog interlude (wtf)[*]Ice cream Man[*]Panama[*]Eddie solo (w/ Eruption,cathedral,etc.)[*]Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love[*]Jump[/LIST]

marker 03-29-2012 06:56 AM

Hang Em' High !

TonyD 03-29-2012 10:51 AM

Dave was spotted at some kind of dog racing or herding competition in the east bay a year or two ago, would have been cool to see him in public but I wouldn't have been there regardless.

Travis The Dragon 03-29-2012 12:22 PM

[QUOTE=tenchimyo;456276]and overall showmanship (jumps, kicks, splits, ridiculous gyrations) made up for it. [/QUOTE]

Wow! He must have improved a lot since the first show because there he barely did anything and just danced around the stage like an oldies singer from the 1950's. He didn't even kick his legs up during Jump either. And he looked like a total fruit in those glittery outfits of his.

tenchimyo 03-30-2012 06:06 AM

[QUOTE=fonzbear2000;456335]Wow! He must have improved a lot since the first show because there he barely did anything and just danced around the stage like an oldies singer from the 1950's. He didn't even kick his legs up during Jump either. And he looked like a total fruit in those glittery outfits of his.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that sucks for your show :/ He def was jumping around (albeit a bit less near the end of the show)! And Dave, as a consummate showman, seemed to look the part in his...flamboyant...outifts

Thrasher-NY 03-31-2012 08:26 AM

sounds like a good time was had by all in...BALTIMORE..WASHINGTON!!!

Diamond Dave is more like Quartz Dave these days......but back in the day
they absolutely ruled the planet!!

However....no Michael Anthony is a crime.

bigguytoo9 03-31-2012 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=Thrasher-NY;456787]
However....no Michael Anthony is a crime.[/QUOTE]
As good as Wolfie might be given that Eddie probably got only the best to teach him. Micheal Anthony's bass playing and harmoinies were crucial to the band and its a bit lacking now that he's out of the picture.

jhdeity 03-31-2012 09:18 PM

[QUOTE=bigguytoo9;456908]As good as Wolfie might be given that Eddie probably got only the best to teach him. Micheal Anthony's bass playing and harmoinies were crucial to the band and its a bit lacking now that he's out of the picture.[/QUOTE]

They pipe in Michael Anthony's harmonies. I noticed several times only Wolfie was going up to the mic but you were hearing 2 guys vocals. Definitely piped in like last tour...

I took some great pics that I'll post in here when I get a chance. I was stage right 5 rows back from Eddie. He and Alex both KILLED it even though Alex had a few flubs.

tenchimyo 04-01-2012 06:05 AM

[QUOTE=jhdeity;456912]They pipe in Michael Anthony's harmonies. I noticed several times only Wolfie was going up to the mic but you were hearing 2 guys vocals. Definitely piped in like last tour...
.[/QUOTE]

?!?!?!! Really? That makes sense, because those backup vox sounded close tot he albums. Shouldn't Michael Anthony have some say on using his voice? But then again maybe not based on whatever contracts.... :/