WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anthrax -- Atlanta, GA -- February 2nd, 2012 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=19443)

justinm4bama 02-03-2012 05:32 AM

Anthrax -- Atlanta, GA -- February 2nd, 2012

Death Angel:

1) I Chose The Sky
2) Mistress of Pain
3) Truce
4) Claws In So Deep :rocker:
5) Buried Alive
6) The Ultra Violence (Intro)/Thrown to the Wolves

Testament:

1) The Preacher :rocker:
2) The New Order
3) The Persecuted Won't Forget
4) Practice What You Preach
5) Over the Wall :rocker:
6) Souls of Black
7) Into the Pit :rocker:
8) Electric Clown :rocker:
9) Henchmen Ride
10) More Than Meets the Eye
11) Disciples of the Watch
12) D.N.R.
13) 3 Days in Darkness
14) Formation of Damnation

Anthrax:

1) Worship
2) Earth on Hell
3) Fight 'Em Till You Can't :rocker:
4) Caught in a Mosh :rocker:
5) Antisocial
6) The Devil You Know
7) Indians :rocker:
8) Hymn 1
9) In The End
10) Got the Time
11) Deathrider
12) Medusa
13) Among the Living
14) Madhouse
15) Metal Thrashing Mad :rocker:
16) I Am The Law

So I was one of the first people there when I arrived at the venue at 4, and doors opened at 7. Instead of waiting in line, my buddy and I just hung out by the buses and met all of Testament (except Alex) within an hour or so. Got pictures with them and talked to them for a bit. Greg was probably the most talkative member even though he was pretty sick so that was cool of him.

About an hour before doors we got in line, and I had the VIP meet and greet for Anthrax. It was announced that Frank and Charlie both weren't going to be there (I totally understand why), and the manager offered us a refund if we wanted it. I decided to go ahead and do it anyways because I was already excited to meet them. About 30 minutes before doors the manager took us backstage were we went in one at a time to talk to Anthrax. Needless to say I was pretty damn nervous haha. They were all real cool though, and signed my poster and got a group picture with them. I wore a vest with a lot of black metal and death metal bands on it so Anthrax and the manager gave me a lot of shit for not having an Anthrax patch on there (I do have a Slayer patch on it), but they were all just kidding around. The manager got my email address and said he would personally mail me an Anthrax patch if I put it on my vest so I agreed haha. Bellodonna then asked me if I was going to be in the pit, and I said no way, I'm going to be front row center! When I was finished talking to them I hurried back to the front of the venue because they were already letting people in, and my buddy saved me a spot right up front.

Honestly, I love all 3 bands on this tour, but I was expecting Testament to be the best band of the night. I was wrong though, they were second best behind Anthrax. Anthrax blew everybody away, and were spot on for everything! During "Indians" Chuck Billy from Testament joined them on stage for a few seconds so that was pretty cool. Another highlight was when Bellodonna kept encouraging people to smoke weed, and during a song someone threw a joint on stage. Took him a few songs to realize it was there, but when he found it he picked it up and immediately someone threw a lighter at him haha. After that he gave it to his manager on the side of the stage so I wonder if he smoked it later.... :light:

Almost all band shirts were $25, but since I have over 120 of them I decided to hold off this time haha. All the members of Anthrax came out after the show, and signed stuff for people. Gene and Joey both recognized me after the show, and thought it was funny that everybody up front were getting killed by crowd surfers and from the people behind us.

Great show! I think Anthrax is going to have a hard time topping this one! :horns:

greenReaper 02-03-2012 08:41 AM

I agree with everything about that review...except one thing. Testament was the band of the night! Anthrax had great energy don't get me wrong, but Chuck Billy's roar and light saber air guttering mixed with Skolnick's effortless shredding just demolished the Taberncale. They started way too early though, a bunch of people didn't show up til halfway through the set. Personally I even liked the back drop for Testament more, but I throughly enjoyed everything about Anthrax as well. Lastly Hoglan was definitely the most metal person in the venue, playing 2 sets in a row for about 3 hours of drumming and still seeming energetic after the show

anomynous 02-03-2012 08:44 AM

Saw them in KC last week when Scott wasn't there and everyone is filling in, and I'm jealous you got Among the Living and Deathrider

jhdeity 02-03-2012 09:56 AM

Am I the only one who thoroughly hates that Death Angel setlist? Being a fan from day 1, I wouldn't mind so much new stuff if they threw in Mind Rape, Voracious Souls or another song I didn't hear the last 2 times they came around.

I do like Claws in So Deep being in there but Thrown to the Wolves could have been Mind Rape and Road Mutants...

Zla Vydra 02-03-2012 10:49 AM

My impressions (coming from someone who saw all these bands play at the Metroplex 20-odd years ago):

Testament's sound was utterly awful. I couldn't hear Eric Peterson at all. Maybe it was just where I was standing.

Joey Vera did a great job standing in for Frank Bello, and it was a nice surprise to hear [I]Deathrider[/I] and [I]Medusa[/I].

Death Angel was the best band of the night, even though they had only a short time to play.

Fates Guardian 02-03-2012 11:50 AM

My take:

Death Angel was the surprise of the night. Tons of energy, great fucking show. I've always found 'Act III' to be quite boring and I've never heard 'The Ultra-Violence', so I really wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong.

Testament was really good, especially during 'Over the Wall', until they played for like 30 minutes too long. They're just too same-y to go on for that long, and I found Chuck Billy to be an unengaging frontman. Alex Skolnick was, of course, awesome though.

Anthrax played for at least as long as Testament, but they were much more entertaining, and had great energy. Between them, Joey Belladonna and Scott Ian had great crowd interaction, and the setlist was pretty ace. Couldn't believe they played two songs from 'Fistful of Metal'! Fuck yeah.

Special mention has to be given to Gene Hoglan, who probably played for a grand total of 3, 3 1/2 hours. That man has some serious stamina. A top-notch drummer (as if that was in question).

Also, the pit for all three bands was pretty violent. I met my quota of getting knocked down at least once. =]

anomynous 02-03-2012 02:11 PM

[QUOTE=Fates Guardian;440722]My take:

Death Angel was the surprise of the night. Tons of energy, great fucking show. I've always found 'Act III' to be quite boring and I've never heard 'The Ultra-Violence', so I really wasn't expecting much. Boy was I wrong.

Testament was really good, especially during 'Over the Wall', until they played for like 30 minutes too long. [B]They're just too same-y to go on for that long, and I found Chuck Billy to be an unengaging frontman.[/B] Alex Skolnick was, of course, awesome though.

Anthrax played for at least as long as Testament, but they were much more entertaining, and had great energy. Between them, Joey Belladonna and Scott Ian had great crowd interaction, and the setlist was pretty ace. Couldn't believe they played two songs from 'Fistful of Metal'! Fuck yeah.

Special mention has to be given to Gene Hoglan, who probably played for a grand total of 3, 3 1/2 hours. That man has some serious stamina. A top-notch drummer (as if that was in question).

Also, the pit for all three bands was pretty violent. I met my quota of getting knocked down at least once. =][/QUOTE]

:bouville::bouville::mad::flame:

mankvill 02-03-2012 02:15 PM

D: I'm cool with you not liking Testament for whatever reason, but to say Chuck Billy isn't an engaging frontman!?@?#?!#?@?!@#?!?!?@?!!??!

what!

Onioner 02-03-2012 02:25 PM

Am I really the only one freaking out over the addition of Deathrider?! If this means that Fistful of Metal songs have a chance of making it in the set, then maybe Panic isn't such a far-fetched goal after all. :party:

Sanitarium78 02-03-2012 05:38 PM

[QUOTE=Onioner;440744]Am I really the only one freaking out over the addition of Deathrider?![/QUOTE]

Yes, you are. Mainly because there are a lot of better rareties from their catalog to choose from than picking something off their extremely mediocre debut. Deathrider is one of the better songs off Fistful though.