WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   MPF's Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy Look At 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18879)

MPF 12-03-2011 02:19 AM

MPF's Good, Bad, Ugly, & Sexy Look At 2011

Ok maybe not so much sexy as all the women that are here are taken or left. :lol:

I'm doing this differently then my last 2 years of playing Itunes Shuffle Roulette. I have over 20 GB of 2011 music, so reviewing all the albums...FUCK THAT! If I didn't have my radio show, I proably would have the time. but as long as I stay somewhat good at what I do. I won't have to worry about that.

I'm going to start this off with my 7 most disappointing albums of 2011. When I say Disappointing, I don't mean an album that anyone would have guessed would suck like Lulu or Dedicated To Chaos. These actually required listening knowledge to know it was going to suck. These 7 are not in any particular order, except for what order they first popped in my head:

As for disappointing albums, and by that I mean albums that I was hoping would be good and turned to shit, not ones that I knew were already going to be bad (Lulu, Dedicated To Chaos for example)

[B]THE 7 MOST DISAPPOINTING ALBUMS OF 2011[/B]

[B]1.) The Haunted: Unseen
[/B]
One of the finest Swedish Metal bands turned into a Nickelback/Five Finger Donkey Punch tribute band. So sad, so pathetic. There is [B]ONE[/B] good song on the album, The City. The rest are just monkey balls. What happened to these guys? They call this experimental. I call it failed attempt at selling out.

[B]2.) Morbid Angel: Illud Divinum Insanus[/B]

There were a couple great songs on this, but the rest....what the fuck? I don't wanna hear Dubstep and Industrial music in my classic Death Metal. And that that its not even good Industrial and well dubstep sucks in general. There of course is some killer tracks on here. Nevermore is a brutal song that just kicks ass. But half of the album is just a giant WHAT THE FUCK???

[B]3.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever[/B]

Another band that has been going downhill for a very long time. I played this album once before I never touched it again. I even left during their their headlining set in July....to be fair I was hanging out with Devin Townsend during their set. but my point still stands. :D My guitarist said it best. 'The new COB is an album so that Alexi and Co. can be drunk on stage and still play." I couldn't agree more.

[B]4.) Protest The Hero- Scurrilous[/B]

I think I just grew out of these guys. When Kezia came out I was jizzing all over the place about these guys. Since then, It's been really "Meh". Hell I even went to see them Wednesday night (And again to be fair I was really there to see Scale The Summit and Last Chance To Reason* but live, everyone else was going apeshit for them. I was left unimpressed. It just seems like more of the same,, more poppy and less interesting.

[B]
5.) Altar Of Plagues- Mammal
[/B]
*I know this is one I'll get shit for*

Altar Of Plagues is one of the best Post/Black metal bands in existence. so why is this in this category? Because Mammal really doesn't go anywhere. There's no real dynamics or movements, it all just seems to be one boring song spread over 4 tracks. Yes there is a couple moments that are cool, and if this was another EP, it would be phenomenal, but they made this WAAAAAY too long, and it's just simply...boring.

[B]6.) Explosions In The Sky- Take Care, Take Care, Take Care[/B]

*Read Number 5, and replace Altar Of Plagues with Explosions In The Sky and remove Black Metal segment*
[B]
7.) This Will Destroy You- Tunnel Blanket[/B]

*Read Number 6*

All other albums I have checked out, I either listened to it once and never listened again because it sucked, heard it once because I was forced to because of the radio show then never again, or I actually liked and loved.

More coming soon, probably sometime today.

brutal_descent 12-03-2011 02:26 AM

[QUOTE=MPF;420051][B]
5.) Alter Of Plagues- Mammal
[/B]
*I know this is one I'll get shit for*

Alter Of Plagues is one of the best Post/Black metal bands in existence. so why is this in this category? Because Mammal really doesn't go anywhere. There's no real dynamics or movements, it all just seems to be one boring song spread over 4 tracks. Yes there is a couple moments that are cool, and if this was another EP, it would be phenomenal, but they made this WAAAAAY too long, and it's just simply...boring.[/QUOTE]

If you do get shit for this, it'll be because you spelled Altar wrong ;)

MPF 12-03-2011 02:29 AM

[QUOTE=brutal_descent;420052]If you do get shit for this, it'll be because you spelled Altar wrong ;)[/QUOTE]

Not anymore I'm not.

:D:D:D

Seventhzealot 12-03-2011 06:58 AM

Agree with #1,#2 and #3.

Strongly disagree with #5 ;)

Epidemic Reign 12-03-2011 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=MPF;420051][B]3.) Children Of Bodom- Relentless Reckless Forever[/B]

Another band that has been going downhill for a very long time. I played this album once before I never touched it again. I even left during their their headlining set in July....to be fair I was hanging out with Devin Townsend during their set. but my point still stands. :D My guitarist said it best. 'The new COB is an album so that Alexi and Co. can be drunk on stage and still play." I couldn't agree more.[/QUOTE]

I actually thought it was their best album since Hate Crew Deathroll, though there's still a pretty huge gap in quality between the two.

BloodoftheKings 12-03-2011 09:40 AM

I definitely agree about the new Bodom. I only listened to it in it's entirety once and when I saw them with Devin Townsend I barely payed attention to them.

slapguitarer 12-03-2011 11:25 AM

I agree with you on Altar of Plagues

But not on Scurrilous.

mastodon421 12-03-2011 11:56 AM

[QUOTE=Epidemic Reign;420088]I actually thought it was their best album since Hate Crew Deathroll, though there's still a pretty huge gap in quality between the two.[/QUOTE]

This. The new Bodom was my biggest pleasant surprise of the year.

MPF 12-03-2011 03:35 PM

[B]Part 2: The Top 50 of 2011, Exhibit A: 55-21[/B]

I'll be doing 55-21 in small segments, about maybe 5 at a time. I'm doing this iTunes Shuffle Roulette style.

If you didn't follow my Year In Review Threads from the last 2 years. What I do is I put albums in a iTunes Playlist, click random, then hit play. Then start reviewing every album that is played. These are those 35 albums that would make up the latter part of my Top 55 list, just in Random order. I'm going to place them in countdown style, but only because it makes it look better, not because this is the order of how I like them. That's what the Top 20 is for.

[B]I repeat this is not the running order of albums 55 through 21. Just what is in Random order from iTunes. Just putting it in countdown order to look more professional.[/B]

Lets begin Countdown Style. It's time to get sexy:

[B]55.) Obscura- Omnivium[/B]

What can you say about Obscura what Obscura can't do on their own? They are one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands going right now. The perfect combination of Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, and Dream Theater *Probably in that order for influences* Omnivium is their best album to date. All the Prog Death Metal on this album makes me jump for joy. And it doesn't get boring as many of these style albums seem to do from time to time. Seeing these guys live twice yer also helped a lot (once headlining, once opening for Children of Bodom) Such killer music. I'm hoping by the time of their next album that they will be at the top of the Prog Death Metal gambit. They deserve it.

[B]54.) ICS Vortex- Storm Seeker[/B]

The greatest singer in Black Metal....that doesn't sing in the style of Black Metal. His clean vocals are unstoppable in Black Metal, and proving on his solo album, Storm Rider, he is proggy as all hell, with a very Devin Townsend sense of humor to him. This very epic sounding album combines the best of what ICS Vortex is known for. I honestly wouldn't mind if he quit Black Metal all together and just made these style albums. Its so damn good.

[B]53.) Evergrey- Glorious Collision[/B]

Evergrey is back in top form after 2 albums that, while still were Evergrey, just didn't fit right with me. They are still progressing their sound instead of keeping the traditional Inner Circle, In Search Of Truth, Recreation Day style. Its more modern sounding in the Swedish Progressive Power Metal style, but it's still very much Evergrey. The Phantom Letters is probably one of the top 5 songs ever written by the band. Overall, it's just a killer album. I hope Evergrey keeps being this strong.
[B]
52.) Alestorm- Back Through Time[/B]

The song Scrapping The Barrel, basically says everything about this album and band altogether. Everyone thinks Running Wild did this already and better back in '84. SCREW THAT! I love Running Wild, but Alestorm kicks just as much ass, if not more. Back Through Time is their most diverse album running all over they can in the world of Power/Pirate Metal, even Black Metal in the song Death Throes of The Terrorsquid. Their playing and songwriting and lyrics are getting better with each album. It is a gimmick? Of course it is! But who really cares as long as the music behind it is worth checking out and enjoying? Back Through Time is the best example of this.

[B]51.) Battle Circus- Battle Circus[/B]

The band that Muse could have been if they kept getting better with Absolution, instead of just sucking. Battle Circus sadly broke up this year, not long after releasing this, their 2nd album, after just moving to the States. Bad timing eh? Battle Circus is a great Progressive Rock band that takes all of what Muse was known for being cool for, adding some double bass from time to time, better musicianship and going even more abstract. It is a phenomenal album from start to finish. This will not be a known album sadly, especially they never even had a chance to tour for it in any capacity. But this will be one of my favorite underground albums of 2011.

[B]*Coming up later tonight....50-46*[/B]

Seventhzealot 12-03-2011 03:38 PM

[QUOTE=MPF;420275][B]

[B]55.) Obscura- Omnivium[/B]

What can you say about Obscura what Obscura can't do on their own? They are one of the best Progressive Death Metal bands going right now. The perfect combination of Death, Morbid Angel, Opeth, and Dream Theater *Probably in that order for influences* Omnivium is their best album to date. All the Prog Death Metal on this album makes me jump for joy. And it doesn't get boring as many of these style albums seem to do from time to time. Seeing these guys live twice yer also helped a lot (once headlining, once opening for Children of Bodom) Such killer music. I'm hoping by the time of their next album that they will be at the top of the Prog Death Metal gambit. They deserve it.[/QUOTE]

I loved this album but I still like 'Cosmogenesis' more though I have to say this is far more technical. It's going to be ranked pretty high in my list I'd think.