WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Corey Taylor -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 2nd, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18876)

Phil709 12-02-2011 11:25 PM

Corey Taylor -- Toronto, Ontario -- December 2nd, 2011

If you came here for just a set list you will have to wait a minute. This wasn't just a concert, it was an evening with Corey Taylor damn it! And you WILL get all the details:

Corey Taylor appeared on stage and explained what the evening would be like. There would be a spoken word session and book reading, followed by a Q and A, followed by some songs.

Taylor went on with some guidelines for the night. He had three rules: No nudity ("It's just better for all of us"), no dancing (because he only has two dance moves), and no lies. For the Q and A he explained the difference between a question and a request. He would explain the meaning behind a song but he would not sign your baby, because if he signs your baby he gets to keep it.

For the book reading he introduced his book Seven Deadly Sins and explained that it should have never become a New York Times Best Seller. It also made the best seller list in the Christian community which to Corey means they're either buying tons of copies to burn them or he's warping the minds of young Christians. He doesn't care, he'll have it either way. He read an excerpt, the part where he lists his new seven deadly sins: murder (the worst sin), child abuse (the second worst), rape, torture, lying, theft, and bad music. Something he said that stuck with me is that theft has been around since forever, but that now it's for profit instead of survival.

After explaining the deadly sins he proceeded to the Q and A:

[B]Are you anti-religion?[/B]

He's anti organized religion and not really a faithful person. He puts his faith in people and things he can see.

[B]Future goals?[/B]

-Film company which he's actually working on with Clown.
-Act, but not as a main guy, more like a background kind of guy who comes out of nowhere and says "Hey" or a dead guy in CSI.
-Collaborations (he really wants to work with Dave Grohl and Grohl knows this but is "terrified")
-Produce, help new bands get off the ground.

[B]Favorite novels?[/B]

-The Dresden Files
-stuff by Hunter S. Thompson

[B]Motivation throughout his career?[/B]
-His motivation is the big "fuck you" to people who said he would never make it

[B]Fred Durst feud?[/B]
-He said that story is old and that he actually met up with Durst recently and Durst's kids took pictures with Taylor because they are huge Slipknot fans

[B]Canadian tour with Slipknot?[/B] (I was surprised this one took so long to be asked)
-There will be Canadian dates on the upcoming tour

[B]Message to young musicians?[/B]
-Learn your trade, there are too many "myspace musicians" who suck live

As the previous question was being asked, a heckler in the front row who had been yelling out all night finally got on the nerves of Taylor, who asked for security and cursed the guy out: "You're bothering my friends, shut the fuck up" yadda yadda yadda

[B]Languages?[/B]
-He joked that he barely knows one language fluently but knows phrases of many different languages. He can introduce songs in French and tell people to show their middle fingers in Japanese and tried to teach the crowd how to say it.

[B]View on the "occupy" movement[/B]
-He didn't care for it at first but when the news bashed them he started to support them fully

[B]Most meaningful tattoo?[/B]
-His Paul Gray tattoo

[B]Meaning of 30/30 150[/B]
-They were his measurements in high school

Security FINALLY got to the heckler. The heckler knocked down a table on his way out. Taylor had the crowd sing "na na na na, hey hey hey good bye" to him. Taylor then asked if everyone at the table was all right. They said they were fine but that their beers weren't so Corey ordered five free beers for them.

[B]Opinions on writing when stoned?[/B] (weird question, Taylor thought so too)

-Taylor can't write for shit when stoned (can't write for shit even when not stoned, OH SNAP! there you go haters, I filled in the joke for you)

Piss break, came back, played an acoustic set:

Dying [Stone Sour]
Bother [Stone Sour]
Hesitate [Stone Sour]
Zzyzx Rd. [Stone Sour]
Through Glass [Stone Sour]
Spit It Out [Slipknot]
Snuff [Slipknot] [Dedicated to Paul Gray]
Something I Can Never Have [Nine Inch Nails]
Burning Love [Elvis Presley] [With Jason Parisi]
Down In A Hole [Alice in Chains] [With Jason Parisi]
With Or Without You [U2] [With Jason Parisi]
You Got Lucky [Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers] [With Jason Parisi]
Comfortably Numb [Pink Floyd] [With Jason Parisi]
Outsider [Ramones] [With Jason Parisi]

Very fun and intimate event. The crowd adored Taylor. Taylor was in a super good mood and joked around a lot. The whole spoken word, Q and A session was very fun and interesting. For the concert, the crowd was into all the songs, singing along with almost all of them.

TheGrandWazoo40 12-02-2011 11:45 PM

I have a Slipknot Vol. 3 CD booklet signed by #5...

Dunno how I got it, it just appeared in my box of singed stuff....

Really want to sell it but I don't know if anyone would be interested.

I don't even know what member it is, never got into Slipknot. Signature is -133- with a 5 in a circle...

Just checked ebay, signature is legit. It's the spikey mask guy.

NickLed19 12-03-2011 01:19 AM

Sounds fun man, wish he would come around here.

Dextrimental 12-03-2011 04:13 AM

Sounds like fun, Slipknot are personal idols of mine, and I have a lot of time for Corey.

AnthG 12-03-2011 08:00 AM

I was there. It was a fun, yet early night (being outside by 10:30 after a concert is almost a foreign concept these days), but I guess it makes sense since it was just him.

I honestly didn't give two shits about the Q&A or Book reading, especially since everyone was asking stupid questions anyway ("What's your feud with Fred Durst?" Seriously? Have you been living under a rock since 2001?). That segment seemed kind of rushed too. It's like he had to get that segment out of the way and call it an early night because of the Mod Club becoming a dance club afterwards.

Also, lawl at "Bad music". The guy toured with Theory of a Deadman and Art of Dying. And if Clown is involved in any way with his production company, I'm not interested.

dcmetal108 12-03-2011 09:38 AM

I'm a HUGE fan of Corey Taylor and it does sound like a great night with him. Too bad the Chicago date was 21+.

The Ginger King 12-03-2011 06:36 PM

How much do you want for the autograph?

ravenheart 12-03-2011 06:49 PM

It's funny that the questions he gets asked are exactly the same everywhere in the world.

Wait... boring, I meant boring.

Anyway, I have a signed copy of his book from the launch show in July. Still haven't read it.

TheGrandWazoo40 12-03-2011 08:27 PM

Are you talking to me Ginger??

If you are there are two things I must tell you:

1. I only have the CD booklet, no disc or Jewel Case

2. It's not in pristine condition

From what I've gathered on the internets this guy's sig is a more difficult one to get (which furthers my confusion as to how I got it)

Now that you know both those things, just make me an offer dude and I'll probably accept. I don't care about this thing at all and would love to give it an owner that will cherish it. I'm reasonable too, I don't like ripping folks off, I've never sold a ticket to a show for over face or anything like that even though I could have. That's why I didn't make an offer, just tell me what you would be willing to pay. :)

TheGrandWazoo40 12-04-2011 02:16 AM

I can't find a single sale of this guy's signature by itself...