WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Absu -- Montreal, Quebec -- November 26th, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18797)

VoidFlame 11-27-2011 09:50 AM

Absu -- Montreal, Quebec -- November 26th, 2011

Venue: Katacombes
Other bands playing: Angantyr, Csejthe, Saccage, Wendess and Issfenn.

This was part of a two day black metal festival callled "Messe des Morts". Day 1 had Inquisition, Glorior Belli, Infernal Stronghold and Forteresse, but I couldn't go, which is sad, because I really wanted to see Glorior Belli. Anyway, this was a really cool show. I also have to mention that the festival was a huge success, both concerts were sold out.

The doors opened about 45 minutes late and when we came in, Issfenn were already playing. They're a local duo, they played very generic black metal and their drummer played like a retard. I found their performance kinda boring, though funny in some ways. Wendess are a band from Quebec City, this was my third time seeing them and they're getting better. They play black metal with depressive and folk influences; they were good, but their bass player didn't seem to know the songs and the drummer looked confused at some points. They've got potential and I believe they will become a really good band with time. Then, another band from Quebec City played: Saccage. They're a mix of black/thrash and punk. They had energy and they brought the first pits of the night, but I thought their songs lacked power and originality.

For me, the show really started with Csejthe, once again a Quebec City band. They had candles and smoke, which made a good atmosphere for their music: black metal with depressive influences and majestic melodies. In some parts, the guitarist and the drummer sang beautiful choir vocals; they created a funeral-like ambiance. Then, local black metal superstars Monarque played. Most people in the crowd were there to see them and they didn't disappoint. This time, Monarque had moved from vocals only to bass/vocals. From what I remember of the last time I've seen him, he has also improved his vocals and presence. The songs were perfect and everyone went crazy; the pits were huge. Best band of the night with Absu in my opinion.

The next band was a danish viking black metal project/band called Angantyr. I didn't know them before they announced the line-up to this festival, but apparently, it was their first performance outside of Europe. They're not really my kind of black metal, but they were intense and they connected a lot with the crowd. Their corpse paint and clothes were beautiful, they looked like viking revenants coming out of the sea!

At last, Absu was the perfect band to end this festival. They just killed it. Every song sounded great and the musicians were extremely tight, although Vis Crom had some problems with his amp at the beginning of the set. I also have to say that Proscriptor is an incredible frontman; his way to present the songs is pure genius! As soon as they started, chaos ensued on the floor, so by the fifth song I went upstairs to watch the show without constantly getting hit by people. It was still fun, because in my opinion, Absu has the most fun riffs/drum patterns to listen to. Their amazing performance ended by 2:00 AM, leaving everyone exhausted, but fully satisfied!

[B][U]Monarque[/U][/B]

La Quintessence du Mal
?
Ces Immondices
Le Vent du Nord
Le Feu et le Sang
?
L'Abysse aux Charognes
Fier Hérétique
Deathcrush (Mayhem cover)

[B][U]Absu[/U][/B]

The Coming of War
Night Fire Canonization
Earth Ripper
13 Globes
Swords and Leather
Abraxas Connexus
Manannán
Magic(k) Square Cipher
Skyring in the Spirit Vision
From Ancient Times (Starless Skies Burn to Ash)
Apzu
Feis Mor Tir Na N'og (Across the North Sea to Visnech)
Highland Tyrant Attack
Never Blow Out the Eastern Candle

--------------------------------------------------------------

An Involution of Thorns (intro)
Descent Into Archeron (Evolving Into the Progression of Woe)

smearCampaign 11-27-2011 09:54 AM

Now THAT is an ABSU set!!!! :rocker:

xa123 11-27-2011 01:14 PM

I'm so happy that there's this sort of festival in Montreal now! The two nights were EPIC. It's too bad you missed the first night because Inquisition destroyed everything but I still can't decide if I liked them or Absu more.

Also, I know I was starting to be pretty buzzed and I missed part of their show but didn't Monarque finish their set by playing Deathcrush?

GarageMetal468 11-27-2011 01:35 PM

[QUOTE=smearCampaign;417928]Now THAT is an ABSU set!!!! :rocker:[/QUOTE]

EXACTLY what I just said to myself!!!

MPF 11-27-2011 02:02 PM

I heard in recent times that Absu shows are a bitch to get home from. How did you do getting back home?

hahahaha

larvtard 11-27-2011 02:04 PM

[QUOTE=MPF;417997]
hahahaha[/QUOTE]

hahahaha

:tp:

MPF 11-27-2011 02:06 PM

[QUOTE=larvtard;417998]hahahaha

:tp:[/QUOTE]

Come on, in time, you'll be laughing your ass off as well. If I did that exact same situation and posted it here, you'd be laughing too.

John The Drummer 11-27-2011 02:31 PM

WOW! To repost... THAT is an Absu set. I hope they come back to Seattle, Proscriptor is my biggest influence ever, and he even commented on one of my Absu drum covers, which is like... ORGASM. Anyway.....

"This next song is about leather and swords, its called... SWORDS AND LEATHER"
/classic.

bigguytoo9 11-27-2011 08:25 PM

seeing INQUISITION and then ABSU headline those two nights would have been fucking epic!!!

VoidFlame 11-28-2011 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=MPF;417997]I heard in recent times that Absu shows are a bitch to get home from. How did you do getting back home?
[/QUOTE]

:lol: We have busses all night here in Montreal! Wasn't really hard :lol: