WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Immolation -- Anaheim, CA -- October 22nd, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18393)

treghet 10-23-2011 08:32 AM

Immolation -- Anaheim, CA -- October 22nd, 2011

This month Immolation set out on a tour in support of their newest EP, [I]Providence[/I], which was released just a couple weeks ago by Scion A/V. Earlier this year they were included on the annual Scion Rock Fest and they later filmed two music videos, one for the song "A Glorious Epoch" and the other for "Illumination", both courtesy of Scion A/V. Needless to say, Scion has done a lot for the band this year, and I am grateful for that.

After the tour was announced I immediately decided I had to go, despite both Anthrax and Judas Priest playing here on the same night. Immolation has always been crushing live, so I could not pass up the opportunity to see them again. I arrived at the venue early to ensure I would be able to grab their new EP. Luckily they still had plenty of copies left, but they were already out of the Wormort and Enslaved ones. To go with my EP I bought a shirt with the old logo and [I]Majesty and Decay[/I]. Ross was running the merch table so I talked to him for a couple minutes. He said they are hoping to get in the studio by February or March and have a new album out in the summer.

After that I sat down on the bench and watched the local bands. There were three of them; Wage Slave, Crepitus, and Bedlam of Cacophony. Gigan had dropped off the tour due to a family emergency, so next up was Jungle Rot. They are one of those bands I've never really looked into, so I didn't know what to expect from their set. They were decent, but they didn't blow me away or anything. Once they started playing a guy got on stage and walked around for about thirty seconds before jumping off. By the second song he was back on stage and then again during the next song. The band ignored him the entire time, but I can imagine they were getting annoyed. After about the fourth or fifth time he got on stage the people in the crowd got tired of catching him and just let him fall flat on his face. I'm pretty sure it knocked him out, because he didn't get up for a good ten or twenty seconds. Not long after that he was back on stage. I'm surprised the band never reacted to him.

Once Jungle Rot finished playing I got up front and waited for Immolation. They came out on stage without any intro and went straight into "Majesty and Decay". It was like a wall of sound just hit me when they started playing. Of course, within only a few seconds that guy was back on stage. Bill (rhythm guitarist) responded by shoving him back into the crowd. By the second song he was back on stage and without hesitation Bill shoved him again. He finally got the message and stayed in the pit for the rest of the show. They continued onward with the devastating "Under the Supreme" and then the opening track of [I]Providence[/I]. Then they played one of my personal favorites, the wicked title track of [I]Close to a World Below[/I]. The sound was outstanding and Ross's vocals sounded unbelievably vicious. Everything was mixed perfectly and I was able to hear all the instruments clearly. It seemed to go by too fast and before long they were coming back on stage to play "World Agony", another favorite of mine. I believe they cut "Sinful Nature", but I forgot make a mental note of it at the time as I was so engaged in the music. Either way, the set was still fantastic, and I was very pleased to hear two songs from [I]Dawn of Possession[/I] this time around. It was an incredible show and I already want to see them again. Hopefully they will be back around this time next year.
[LIST=1][*]Majesty and Decay[*]Swarm of Terror[*]Under the Supreme[*]What They Bring[*]Close to a World Below[*]A Token of Malice[*]No Jesus, No Beast[*]Power and Shame[*]Dawn of Possession[*]Still Lost[*]Den of Thieves[*]Illumination[*]Into Everlasting Fire
---[*]World Agony[/LIST]

GarageMetal468 10-23-2011 08:35 AM

Damn, there is always that one guy who just acts like a fucking moron to piss everyone off... Ignorant pricks.

But glad you enjoyed it, Immolation is too damn good live! Also, did Jungle Rot happen to yell out "OLD SCHOOL" a lot? :lol:

treghet 10-23-2011 08:46 AM

I remember him saying it at least once, but I wasn't paying close attention to what he said between songs.

valgalder 10-23-2011 11:01 AM

thanks for the review - how was the turnout?

can't believe the venue staff didn't take care of this moron earlier though..

jd091 10-23-2011 02:47 PM

Huh, its interesting to see how death metal bands react to crowdsurfers. Seems pretty black and white: they're either like this, or like Cannibal Corpse, and threaten to kill them... or they're like Vital Remains or Origin: "MORE CROWDSURFERS! MORE CROWDSURFERS! MORE CROWDSURFERS!"

treghet 10-23-2011 05:00 PM

It wasn't that he was stage diving, it was that he was on stage for way too long. I wasn't exaggerating when I said he was walking around for thirty seconds at a time before jumping off. He was just being an idiot. But yeah, there are a lot of metal bands that hate stage divers. :lol:

The turnout was alright. I'd say about 200 people were there. But like I said, Anthrax and Judas Priest were both playing here last night, so that probably affected it.

OraclesofAgony 10-23-2011 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=treghet;407295]It wasn't that he was stage diving, it was that he was on stage for way too long. I wasn't exaggerating when I said he walking around for thirty seconds at a time before jumping off. He was just being an idiot. But yeah, there are a lot of metal bands that hate stage divers. :lol:

The turnout was alright. I'd say about 200 people were there. But like I said, Anthrax and Judas Priest were both playing here last night, so that probably affected it.[/QUOTE]

It was a better turnout than Grave right? Grave was pretty weak crowdwise.

christopher 10-23-2011 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=srm90;407306]It was a better turnout than Grave right? Grave was pretty weak crowdwise.[/QUOTE]

How many people do you think were at Graves? I was a little too high and felt really claustrophobic :lol:

treghet 10-23-2011 05:49 PM

[QUOTE=srm90;407306]It was a better turnout than Grave right? Grave was pretty weak crowdwise.[/QUOTE]

It was a little better. If I was guessing, Grave probably had about 150 people.

OraclesofAgony 10-23-2011 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=vegantopher;407309]How many people do you think were at Graves? I was a little too high and felt really claustrophobic :lol:[/QUOTE]

Not that many. A lot less than the Death Angel show there. The floor was near empty up until Blood Red Throne. And there was like only 1-3 people up close watching Gigan.