WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Saxon -- Santa Ana, CA -- October 2nd, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=18184)

treghet 10-04-2011 03:31 AM

Saxon -- Santa Ana, CA -- October 2nd, 2011

In today's world, the NWOBHM has mostly died out with only a number the major bands remaining, for better or for worse. On the heels of the release of their nineteenth studio album, [I]Call to Arms[/I], which has been well received by fans, Saxon would embark on a world tour. They would prove to the world one city at a time that they are still going just as strong as they were in the '80s.

I arrived at just before the first band was scheduled to go on and I was surprised to find that the venue was already packed. Of all the previous shows I've been to at the Galaxy Theater, I've never seen this great of a turnout. The opening band, Anger as Art, started playing only a few minutes after I sat at a table. I had never listened to them before and the sound was somewhat muddy, so I had a hard time following the songs. From what I could tell, they were decent musicians, but nothing too special.

After them was Ruthless, local power metal band from the '80s. Not being a power metal fan, I didn't know what to expect from them, but I ended up enjoying their set. There sound was nice and clear and they were not the washed up band I thought they might be. It was notable that their stage presence was a bit too rockstar-ish, but they put on a great performance.
[LIST=1][*]Gates of Hell[*]Metal Without Mercy[*]Systematic Terror[*]Child of Hate[*]Bury the Axe[*]Laceration[/LIST]
I was expecting Saxon to be next, but apparently the lineup on the venue's website was wrong. Borealis began setting up their equipment on stage. I had never heard of them beforehand, and I wish it had stayed that way. I will say that they were a talented group, but those vocals and keyboards were annoying the living hell out of me. I could not stand them at all. Also, I noticed that vocalist had a water bottle holder attached to the mic stand with a tube that ran up to the mic. When he started drinking from it between songs I almost broke out laughing. I try not to rip on bands for non-music related topics, but this was too hilarious to not mention.

Finally it was time for the British legends, Saxon. They opened with the epic "Hammer of the Gods", which is arguably the best song they've written in years. Biff's powerful vocals, the thundering drums, and classic headbanging riffs roared throughout the room. This was heavy metal. The crowd cheered wildly after each song and the band seemed genuinely impressed. They marched onward, playing a mixture of old and new songs. I noticed Biff signed a few record sleeves between verses. Soon enough they were going off stage before returning for the encores. The set seemed to go by too quickly, as I was enjoying every moment of it. "Power and the Glory", "Strong Arm of the Law", and "747 (Strangers in the Night)" were absolutely incredible live. While I admit I would have preferred a few more classics in the set instead of seven new songs, the band's performance was top notch, with Biff sounding better than ever, so I can't really complain. Saxon has not lost steam, even decades after their prime era.
[LIST=1][*]Hammer of the Gods[*]Heavy Metal Thunder[*]Never Surrender[*]Chasing the Bullet[*]Motorcycle Man[*]Back in '79[*]And the Bands Played On[*]Battalions of Steel[*]Call to Arms[*]Rock 'n' Roll Gypsy[*]Mists of Avalon[*]This Town Rocks[*]When Doomsday Comes (Hybrid Theory)[*]Denim and Leather[*]Afterburner[*]Princess of the Night
---[*]Crusader[*]747 (Strangers in the Night)
-- Doug Scarratt guitar solo -- [*]Power and the Glory[*]Strong Arm of the Law[*]Wheels of Steel[/LIST]

Spiner202 10-04-2011 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=treghet;401478]
I was expecting Saxon to be next, but apparently the lineup on the venue's website was wrong. Borealis began setting up their equipment on stage. I had never heard of them beforehand, and I wish it had stayed that way. I will say that they were a talented group, but those vocals and keyboards were annoying the living hell out of me. I could not stand them at all. Also, I noticed that vocalist had a water bottle holder attached to the mic stand with a tube that ran up to the mic. When he started drinking from it between songs I almost broke out laughing. I try not to rip on bands for non-music related topics, but this was too hilarious to not mention.[/QUOTE]

That sucks that you couldn't enjoy them because I think they're easily one of the best Power Metal bands of the last few years. I'm guessing you don't have any clue as to what they played?

Also, I've seen the water bottle thing before and it is pretty hilarious :D

Maiden33 10-04-2011 09:33 AM

Sad to hear someone hate on Borealis, but I can't say I'm particularly surprised - they're not really anything like Saxon. I said that the support for all the shows I'm seeing this fall should've been juggled. Sabaton should be opening for Firewind, Borealis should've been opening for Evergrey, and White Wizzard should be opening for Saxon.
I understand, it's not for everyone, but oh well. I second the previous post though, if you have any idea as to any of the songs that were played, I'd appreciate any info.

Personally I think the water bottle thing is fucking ingenious and honestly if I had the resources to do it myself I would. Certainly not really a reason to hate on a band.

Also, this is the best Saxon setlist yet. Just dump Chasing the Bullet for something off of Lionheart and I'd be really happy with it.

tenchimyo 10-04-2011 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=Maiden33;401526] I said that the support for all the shows I'm seeing this fall should've been juggled. Sabaton should be opening for Firewind, Borealis should've been opening for Evergrey, and White Wizzard should be opening for Saxon.[/QUOTE]

I would kind of agree, because I would rather see, for example, power metal with more power metal, NWOBHish with more NWOBHMish.

But perhaps the managers or whomever books the tours is trying to get more exposure for the bands- some sort of crossover appeal/attempt?

I will say these tactics have various success rates, as I've been to power metal shows and seen death metal openers be ignored or get minimal applause. Stuff like that

treghet 10-04-2011 01:18 PM

[QUOTE=Maiden33;401526]Sad to hear someone hate on Borealis, but I can't say I'm particularly surprised - they're not really anything like Saxon. I said that the support for all the shows I'm seeing this fall should've been juggled. Sabaton should be opening for Firewind, Borealis should've been opening for Evergrey, and White Wizzard should be opening for Saxon.
I understand, it's not for everyone, but oh well. I second the previous post though, if you have any idea as to any of the songs that were played, I'd appreciate any info.

Personally I think the water bottle thing is fucking ingenious and honestly if I had the resources to do it myself I would. Certainly not really a reason to hate on a band.[/QUOTE]

Agreed with switching the bands around. I can't say I hate Borealis, they just weren't my style at all. As I said, they were talented guys, it was just the vocals and the keyboards that bothered me. As for the water bottle thing, that wasn't a reason for me disliking them, I just thought it was funny to watch. These are the songs I remember them playing for sure: "Fall from Grace", "Breaking the Curse", and "Regeneration". I assume they opened with "Finest Hour", but I can't confirm that. I think the last song might have been "Forgotten Forever", but I can't be sure on that either.

Spiner202 10-04-2011 01:28 PM

[QUOTE=treghet;401592]Agreed with switching the bands around. I can't say I hate Borealis, they just weren't my style at all. As I said, they were talented guys, it was just the vocals and the keyboards that bothered me. As for the water bottle thing, that wasn't a reason for me disliking them, I just thought it was funny to watch. These are the songs I remember them playing for sure: "Fall from Grace", "Breaking the Curse", and "Regeneration". I assume they opened with "Finest Hour", but I can't confirm that. I think the last song might have been "Forgotten Forever", but I can't be sure on that either.[/QUOTE]

Awesome to hear! I'm glad they are breaking out songs other than the 5 they initially played back in April. I would say there's a good chance you are right about them closing with Forgotten Forever, as I get the feeling that will be their closer for a long long time.

I won't jump to conclusions yet, but I really hope this doesn't mean they are abandoning their first album.

metaleloi666 10-04-2011 07:19 PM

[QUOTE=Maiden33;401526]I said that the support for all the shows I'm seeing this fall should've been juggled. Sabaton should be opening for Firewind, Borealis should've been opening for Evergrey, and White Wizzard should be opening for Saxon.

Also, this is the best Saxon setlist yet. Just dump Chasing the Bullet for something off of Lionheart and I'd be really happy with it.[/QUOTE]

You're right, the pairings you made would fit each headlining band better. White Wizzard could probably appeal more to the casual Saxon fan cause they're pretty much traditional metal too, as opposed to Borealis, which is more power/prog in style.

As for me, Surviving Against The Odds is missing in the setlist (cause it's one of my faves off CTA and if they'd played it in Montreal instead of Chasing The Bullet, I'd be really happy....

rocker_mama 10-05-2011 12:38 PM

Regarding the Borealis Comment

I want to bring it to your attention that the singer in Borealis does not just sing, he also plays lead guitar with many solos, making picking up a bottle of water a bit awkward without delaying the set. I think the water bottle is a smart idea and did not seeing anyone laughing at it in Vegas. I do agree they would be a great opener for Evergrey however, it is sometimes not a bad thing to hear someone with a different style. I saw them in Vegas and they were awesome. I also Loved Saxon. The crowd in Vegas really seemed to enjoy both bands. I can also relate to your disappointment when so many bands play before the headlining band that you paid to see. That however has to do with the Venue itself and not the fault of the band.:)

treghet 10-05-2011 01:44 PM

True, he does also play guitar, but think of all the other guys that do that without using a water bottle with a tube. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea to save a few seconds between songs if you're tight on time, but it's funny to watch. Personally, I would feel awkward using it.

And yeah, it is the venue's fault, and they always do that. Usually they book two locals for every show, so when a tour with 4 bands comes through the show ends around 1:30 am. It can be annoying, but luckily this show ended before midnight. This time I was just annoyed because the venue didn't list the band on the site, so I was expecting Saxon next, only to have to wait another 45 minutes.

rocker_mama 10-05-2011 03:12 PM

Borealis is Direct support for Saxon in the North American Tour it is only a couple of venues that have other bands like that. In vegas it was just the two bands. If you go to Saxon's site or Borealis site you will see they are listed as Direct Support. The other bands were added by the venues. I do see your point I also hate to see a ton of bands before the one I go to see. However Borealis is the Direct support for this North American Tour. I have also heard that the water thing was made and given to him as a gift from a friend when he saw him struggling to get drinks. They may not be your type of music but I think they are great and they have two cd's out maybe you would like the first one more or maybe they are not the genre you prefer and that is personal taste. They have had some great reviews.:)