WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Sports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Just started watching NFL, question (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17925)

adamclark52 09-03-2011 08:37 PM

Just started watching NFL, question

I've only been watching NFL football for about a year, I get most of the rules but what they hell are the commentators talking about when they talk about the defense or offense "BLITZING"?

hellawaits77ny 09-03-2011 08:39 PM

Only the defense blitzes. A blitz is when a linebacker or defensive back rushes the line of scrimmage at the snap of the ball, much like a defensive lineman does.

TonyD 09-03-2011 09:18 PM

To be a little more clear, defensive linemen are basically always blitzing, or trying to get to the QB/RB. When linebackers or backs do it, they stop their main focus of trying to cover receivers and just get to the QB/RB.

powerslave_85 09-03-2011 09:31 PM

What Tony said. The downside of blitzing is that it usually exposes the receivers to single, man-on-man coverage. If the offense has good, fast receivers and a QB with a quick release, they can take advantage of that. But if the offensive line is a little weak, the blitz can force a sack or cause the QB to make a mistake.

adamclark52 09-03-2011 09:33 PM

Thanks guys, makes sense now.

hellawaits77ny 09-03-2011 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=powerslave_85;392329]What Tony said. The downside of blitzing is that it usually exposes the receivers to single, man-on-man coverage. If the offense has good, fast receivers and a QB with a quick release, they can take advantage of that. But if the offensive line is a little weak, the blitz can force a sack or cause the QB to make a mistake.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a defensive coordinator! I play semi-pro ball as an O-lineman. I personally love teams that blitz up the middle, as we typically exploit them over the middle with quick passes and play action. Due to our personell, teams that blitz an extra OLB outside give us more problems.

idrinkwine732 09-03-2011 10:40 PM

Blitzing is also variant on scheme.

[QUOTE=hellawaits77ny;392350]Sounds like a defensive coordinator! I play semi-pro ball as an O-lineman. I personally love teams that blitz up the middle, as we typically exploit them over the middle with quick passes and play action. Due to our personell, teams that blitz an extra OLB outside give us more problems.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, there's a huge reason why you don't just send 6 every play. That's the reason why Walsh's classic WCO was probably the most important tactical invention in football history. Then, came the cover 2 which again became easily exploited. But seriously, you must love those gut blitzes when you know you're going into pass protection. Bread and butter right there, bread and butter.

powerslave_85 09-03-2011 10:43 PM

I'm confused, though. Do they not blitz in Canadian football, or do they just call it something different? I've watched, like, half of a CFL game in my life, haha.

hellawaits77ny 09-03-2011 11:48 PM

[QUOTE=idrinkwine732;392352]Blitzing is also variant on scheme.

Yeah, there's a huge reason why you don't just send 6 every play. That's the reason why Walsh's classic WCO was probably the most important tactical invention in football history. Then, came the cover 2 which again became easily exploited. But seriously, you must love those gut blitzes when you know you're going into pass protection. Bread and butter right there, bread and butter.[/QUOTE]

Yup. It gets tougher when you have an OLB running a 4.5 40 blitzing the edge, LOL. That's when the draws come in handy.

El Gordo 09-04-2011 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=powerslave_85;392353]I'm confused, though. Do they not blitz in Canadian football, or do they just call it something different? I've watched, like, half of a CFL game in my life, haha.[/QUOTE]

Psst... Even Canadians don't like Canadian Football...

As far as I know, it's called the same thing in the CFL, but I've watched like a game and a half of CFL. My grandfather was a huge football fan but it was NFL 9 times out of 10.