WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Anvil -- West Chester, PA -- July 29th, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17571)

Dogman 07-30-2011 01:51 AM

Anvil -- West Chester, PA -- July 29th, 2011

I haven't seen ANVIL in several years, so I thought I'd venture into West Chester to check them out.

They had 3 local opening bands and all were pretty crappy. I'm pretty up on the local scene and I had not heard of any of them.

First band was Deadbolt and I walked in on their last song, so I can't really comment on them.

Next up was Season Of Mourning. They took forever to set up just to play 5 songs. Their set up time was easily twice the time they actually played.

The final opening band was Stygian. They sounded like Godsmack. No thanks.

Finally after all that crap, ANVIL took the stage at 11:45! And what can I say about them. If you've seen them live you know how great they are. Lips had the crowd in the palm of his hand the entire show. I know the guy can be a little goofy but his heart is huge and his playing is phenomenal. Peeling off one awesome solo after the next. His extended solo during "Mothra" was definitely a highlight of the night for me. His voice sounded a little ragged on a few tunes but it actually worked to the songs advantage. And as always Robb was on point. He got a solo on "White Rhino" and I'm no fan of drum solos but it was monstrous. The guy is just a beast.

They played for exactly an hour and a half. All in all it was a great show. I wish more people had been there, especially considering it was a Friday night, but it was a pretty decent crowd. About 200 or so people I would guess. The people up front around me were having a blast. Singing along, banging their heads and pumping their fists. Us old timers know how to have a good time. Great gig! I would suggest checking them out if they come around your area. It will make for a fun night. Cheers!

[B][U]ANVIL @ The Note, West Chester, Pa. July 29, 2011 [/U][/B]

[B]March Of The Crabs
School Love
Juggernaut Of Justice
Winged Assassins
On Fire
This Is Thirteen
Mothra (with guitar solo)
Thumb Hang
White Rhino (with drum solo)
Fuken Eh!
New Orleans Voodoo
Metal On Metal[/B]
encore:
[B]Forged In Fire
Jackhammer
Running[/B]

bigguytoo9 07-30-2011 09:00 AM

It's a crying shame that ANVIL never made it huge.

Undertaker13 08-02-2011 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=Dogman;380924]

Next up was Season Of Mourning. They took forever to set up just to play 5 songs. Their set up time was easily twice the time they actually played.

[/B][/QUOTE]

WOW...I didn't realize it took us an hour to set up and play a 30 minute set! Please get your facts straight before you decide to bash someone. The whole night only ran over the scheduleld times by 15 minutes. Incase you didn't notice, we are a six pieces trying to set up in a very small space, pretty much climbing over each other to accomplish this. The production manager at the club had no problem with our set up time. But, hey...i'm sure you can do better.

Dogman 08-03-2011 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=Undertaker13;381798]WOW...I didn't realize it took us an hour to set up and play a 30 minute set! Please get your facts straight before you decide to bash someone. The whole night only ran over the scheduleld times by 15 minutes. Incase you didn't notice, we are a six pieces trying to set up in a very small space, pretty much climbing over each other to accomplish this. The production manager at the club had no problem with our set up time. But, hey...i'm sure you can do better.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I was standing right there watching you guys set up a drum kit bigger than Neil Peart's on a tiny stage and it was going on FOREVER! And the sound guy told you guys at one point, over the mike, to hurry up. It looked as though the keyboard player didn't even know how to plug in his own instrument. Very unprofessional. All I'm saying is, when you open for a legendary band like Anvil, maybe be a little more professional. That's all.

Also, if you take the time it took to set up and the time to break down, I'm pretty sure you are looking at about an hour. So, yes, you did take twice as long to set up as you played. Get a smaller drum kit (are all those drums REALLY necessary?), lose the keyboard player (you couldn't even hear him) and work on shortening your songs (pretty sure the first tune was one third of your set). The guitarists were good and the singer was pretty good. But my advice means shit, so take it or leave it.

Cheers!

Undertaker13 08-03-2011 08:37 AM

First off...I appreciate the compliments re: the guitar palyers and the singer. That being said...i'm not here to argue or sling mud...just wanted to set the record straight, on what I feel was unfair critcism, and a somewhat unprofessional review of the three opening acts. At worst, let's agree to disagree.

I've been doing this now 20+ years (Yes, I am old an old school metal head...as a matter of fact, I first saw Anvil in 1982 opening for Aerosmith at the Sprectrum and am a huge fan to this day, as I told Robb and Lips). One of the reasons Season of Mourning gets these type shows (opening for Anvil. Accept, Stratovarius and Helstar) is because the promoter appreciates our professional attitude and continues to want to work with us. In most of these cases, the band has been approved by the headliner's management for inclusion on the bill. One thing we aren't going to do is compromise who we are (shorten songs, get rid of the keyboards, etc.). When you go into a show like this, (as I tell the guys), you never know what to expect (10 minute change over for the Accept show at the Troc). For example, the first band Deadbolt was added to the show last minute, which caused alot of the original plan to have to be changed. No one knew until after Anvil's soundcheck, how much of the stage would actually be available for the opening acts, and no discussion took place prior to that night regarding the possible sharing of equipment (which would fall on the promoter). We were literally climbing over each other to set up, with only one real stage entrance to get equipment up there. As I said before, the night was planned to run from 9pm to 1am...it ran 9pm to 1:15am, and Anvil played 1 1/2 hours as the were suppose to.

Like I said, at worst let's agree to disagree. As a matter of fact, I'd be glad to send you a Season of Mourning cd, just so you can see what we are really about. Just message me.

Dogman 08-04-2011 12:54 AM

I'm an old school metalhead too. I've played in bands and have booked and managed bands too for over 25 years in the New Orleans area. And trust me, I know a lot about the unforeseen problems of a multi-band lineup. And in New Orleans, being the laid back party town it is, many times the headline band wouldn't even start until 2am! But I'm an old fart now and too many bands on a bill annoy me. Maybe had it been just you guys and Anvil, my view of the night might not have been so tainted. I didn't mean to rag on you guys and lump you in with the other bands, as you were obviously the better of the 3. I saw lots of potential and I agree, you shouldn't compromise just because some anonymous dick on a message board has an opinion. I will come check you guys out next time you play and buy you a beer.

Cheers to you and the band! :rocker:

Undertaker13 08-04-2011 08:00 AM

Thanks for the honesty, brother. We old school metalheads need to stick together. And, I will take you up on that beer...lol! :horns:

Spiner202 08-04-2011 08:16 AM

I'm very jealous of that setlist. I've seen them twice and they played 6 and 8 songs respectively. I have tickets to see them again, but it won't be a headlining show unfortunately.

Though I must admit that I'd prefer a bit more material from Plenty of Power and Speed of Sound, I would still be happy with that setlist.

dcmetal108 08-04-2011 11:57 AM

I seen them live in Chicago. I got to watch from the stage since Reggies Rock Club where they played has almost a small balcony so close to the band you could almost slap them and it was awsome to see them! Rob keep pointing to me and making faces towards me while playing because I would throw him the devil horns. Amazing show.

Plus I have some good videos of them on my youtube page if anyone wants to see it. Plus I have the DILDO SOLO!!

[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/DCMetal108?feature=mhee[/url]