WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hell On Earth Tour -- Pittsburgh, PA -- July 23rd, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17508)

daimonos 07-23-2011 08:36 PM

Hell On Earth Tour -- Pittsburgh, PA -- July 23rd, 2011

Back in Pittsburgh for the second night in a row tonight. This time for Slayer/Rob Zombie's Hell On Earth tour. I've been looking forward to this for awhile night, but after Clutch last night I didn't feel like this would be any better, and it wasn't, really. But it still was a great time.

Tonight's show was at the new venue, Stage AE,'s outdoor stage, so I was interested to see how that would work, and really excited to be that close to the almighty SLAYYYERRRR!!!! When I got there, Exodus was about half way through their set. I've never really been that into Exodus, but they were pretty good live.

Next up was Slayer, I was a little bit suprised because I thought they were headlining, but oh well. Better to get all the energy out and chill later, right? Slayer took the stage and the place turned into a madhouse. It was like any side stage show at Ozzfest or Mayhem, but twice as intense. And there was a damned good reason for it to be that way. Slayer was onstage. I headbanged and rocked out for the solid hour or more that they played. I have no complaints about their set really, other than that I woulda liked to see Hell Awaits, and I could have done without Snuff. But whatever. Slayer put on a hell of a show, and I was completely satisfied.

I wasn't sure how I was going to react to Zombie. But he managed to take all the energy that was in the audience from Slayer, and multiply it into fun. A damn good time, if you will. His voice was a bit off at times, but it wasn't anything horrible. His stage show was fantastic, though, and I didn't really have any problems with the songs he played. Pussy Liquor was fun. He probably came back out for an encore, but I didn't see it.

Exodus
The Ballad of Leonard and Charles
Iconoclasm
Blacklist
Bonded By Blood
The Toxic Waltz
Strike Of The Beast

Slayer
World Painted Blood
Hate Worldwide
War Ensemble
Postmortem
Dittohead
Dead Skin Mask
Spirit in Black
Mandatory Suicide
Chemical Warfare
Silent Screams
Seasons in the Abyss
Snuff
South of Heaven
Raining Blood
Black Magic
Angel of Death

Rob Zombie
Jesus Frankenstein
Superbeast
Scum of the Earth
Living Dead Girl
More Human Than Human
Sick Bubble-Gum
Pussy Liquor
Never Gonna Stop (The Red, Red Kroovy)
Mars Needs Women
Thunder Kiss '65
Dragula

RAZOR 07-23-2011 08:44 PM

Almost positive he didn't do an encore.

But, this show was fun. I managed to get and stay at the rail all night, even during Slayer. I have bruises up and down my arms, on my knees, and on my chest. I feel like a warrior. :lol:

daimonos 07-23-2011 08:45 PM

[QUOTE=RAZOR;378973]Almost positive he didn't do an encore.

But, this show was fun. I managed to get and stay at the rail all night, even during Slayer. I have bruises up and down my arms, on my knees, and on my chest. I feel like a warrior. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Awesome. I tried to get up on the rail, but only ended up making it to the second row or so.

BlackmoreOfBowling 07-23-2011 09:31 PM

Exodus performed Iconoclasm instead of War Is My Shepherd

petrovar 07-24-2011 06:12 AM

Such a fun show! Slayer kicked my ASS! The pits were cool, the set was sweet and it was cool to see Gary playing with them. Zombie kicked ass too. I'd been waiting to see him for a while. I too was at the Clutch show the night before. It's hard to compare the two as they were so different. Great weekend overall.

stylesclash516 07-24-2011 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=RAZOR;378973]Almost positive he didn't do an encore.[/QUOTE]

Dragula was his encore, after that he left the stage. Apparently he had to leave early because of the 11:00 curfew. I'll write my review in a few hours, that was an amazing show.

stylesclash516 07-24-2011 09:34 AM

I arrived at the venue about ten minutes after gates opened and the place was already filling up with people pretty quickly. As I was walking in the police and a wall of security were taking some drunk guy out of the venue. He wasn’t bothering anybody, he just couldn’t stand up. There was a good bit of merch for sale but the prices were too high for me, 35-40$ for a shirt. Then I walked up to the back left of the venue in the lawn section and got ready for Exodus.

After about twenty minutes or so Exodus abruptly hit the stage and went right into it. I’m not as familiar with Exodus as I should be but I was definitely into them. The singer kept ordering a mosh pit before every song and the pit got bigger and bigger every time. At the end he asked for a wall of death and that is definitely what he got. After they left the stage security was carrying out some kid with a broken leg and it looked very painful.

Then (much to my surprise) it was Slayer time. I thought Zombie was supposed to headline but I guess not. The curtain dropped and they started World Pained Blood and it was a total adrenaline rush. The crowd on the floor was going out of their minds in the pit. War Ensemble was extremely intense and even had the crowd on the lawn going. After a few more songs came the one I wanted to hear the most the entire night, Seasons in the Abyss. They were right on cue and didn’t miss a beat; I was going out of my mind. After Snuff they came back out for South of Heaven which started a big mosh pit on the left side of the lawn where I was. During Raining Blood two guys in the mosh pit had a miscommunication (I am guessing) and started to actually fight but they were quickly pulled apart. After Angel of Death they said their goodbyes and walked off stage.

Next up was Rob Zombie and he did not disappoint. I wasn’t sure how the crowd would react since about half of them were mainly Slayer fans. This was my third time seeing him in the span of one year and this may have been the best. As soon as he came out two girls standing right next to me started dancing together like they were strippers in Vegas and the people on the floor were jumping like crazy. I got so wrapped up in the people around me it was hard to focus on Zombie! More Human Than Human had nearly everyone on the floor jumping and that was a sight to see. Around this time PNC Park where the Pirates play had fireworks night after the game and they started setting them off and Stage AE is very close so you could see the fireworks going off behind the stage. It really added to Zombie’s stage show and was really cool to see. During Thunder Kiss ’65 Zombie did his usual go through the crowd bit and I ended up about one foot from him. Afterwards the Werewolf Women of the SS intro played on the screens and he came out for Dragula which also had the crowd going nuts as usual. Apparently he had to finish up early because of the 11:00 PM curfew.

Overall, that was one of the best concert atmospheres I have ever been in. Everyone was very chill with each other and was rocking out when the bands came on. This may have been the shortest I have ever seen Zombie play for though, about 1 hour and 5 minutes. I would say Rob Zombie was band of the night but Slayer wasn’t far behind. I wouldn’t hesitate to see any of the three bands again if they ever come back around. Well that was my little review and thanks for reading.

Sepultura69 07-24-2011 09:39 AM

[SIZE="7"]BRING THIS TOUR TO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA YOU FUCKS[/SIZE]
:bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville: :bouville:

stylesclash516 07-24-2011 09:59 AM

You get Rage Against The Machine, now be quiet.

bobbie solo 07-24-2011 09:24 PM

if Muse pulls out all the stops for their stage show, RATM doesnt slow down all their material like when i saw them at Rock The Bells & Lolla in '08, and you avoid Lauryn Hill's bullshit live show like the plague (she turns alot of her huge hits into remixes/extended jams/crowd participation bullshit), then that show will be epic.