WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Suicide Silence -- Lawrence, KS -- July 18th, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=17464)

Nick_to_the_face 07-19-2011 12:31 AM

Suicide Silence -- Lawrence, KS -- July 18th, 2011

Two things before I start. First of all, getting lost and spending 2 hours in a car for a car ride that should only take 45 is a bitch. Second, this turned out a lot better than I thought considering it was a headlining show.

So due to us getting fucking lost I ended missing the opening band, Enemies Laid To Rest, and Red Fang :mad: oh well I ended meeting with my peeps in ELTR later and I ended talking to a guy in Red Fang anyway. And I got Red Fangs set. :D

[U]Red Fang[/U]
Dirt Wizard
Sharks
Malverde
Wires
Into The Eye
Night Destroyer
Good To Die
Prehistoric Dog

So the next band up All Shall Perish, who I was fucking stoked to see. They started off with Wage Slaves with amazing energy and the energy didn't stop until they left the stage. I was skeptical on whether or not there would be any karate kids. And there weren't :bliss: Everything sounded tight and the guitar work was fucking great :eek: Only complaint is that they didn't play Black Gold Reign :drool: Here's the set:

Wage Slaves
Gagged, Bound, Shelved, and Forgotten
No Business to Be Done on a Dead Planet
Procession of Ashes
This Life of Pain
There Is Nothing Left
Eradication

After talking with Eddie from All Shall Perish for a bit and getting a free poster :D we started heading up for Unearth, main reason I went. At first I was pretty damn disappointed because it seemed like no one was coming up to the stage for them, but just a few minutes before they came up the floor filled. No real complaints on there set, would have liked to hear some older ones, but I got to hear This Lying World so I'm good. The crows was really interactive and at one point the guitarist, forgot which one, started doing push ups during a song. Also, is it me or do they ignore the fans closest to the stage? Either way, a bad ass performance from Unearth. Oh yeah, I got the setlist when they were giving it out, and where it would have said "Black Hearts", it said "Black Farts" :lol:

My Will Be Done
Zombie Auto-Pilot
Eyes of Black
This Lying World
Endless
Watch It Burn
The Great Dividers
Arise The War Cry
Sanctity of Brothers
Black Hearts Now Reign

Oh boy, Suicide Silence was up next. So a few things about them. They are pretty nice guys when you meet them. Also, for the most part I think they are decent live. And t honestly..I respect the guys. But god is there music retarded. Unanswered is the dumbest "anti-god" I've ever heard and it's pretty pitiful. And Smoke, is just another "Hey we smoke weed, we're cool song!" Like there isn't enough of those in the world. Also, all the other guys look super metal and such, and the singer looks retarded. Plus, the vocals were too damn loud. The high screams just ran over everything else. Other than that, the rest of the band was tight. And I'll be a son of a bitch, but there hardly any karate kids, three at the most. The set started out weak at first, but there performance got better over time. A lot better when they opened for Megadeth, not as good as the first Mayehem. Also...they covered a Deftones Song..WHAT THE FUCK.

Wake Up
Unanswered
You Only Live Once
Smoke
Lifted
Fuck Everything
Disengage
Slaves To Substance
No Pity For a Coward
--Encore--
Engine No. 9 (Deftones Cover)

Overall a pretty damn good night, and because my friend is a fan boy, we got to meet Suicide Silence, who were cool, despite the singer. Meh, maybe he was just tired.

All Shall Perish- 8.5/10
Unearth-9/10
Suicide Silence- 6.9/10

jd091 07-19-2011 04:51 AM

My thoughts:

1) Great Review, man! I'm seeing the same off-date lineup, but without Red Fang. Could kind of care less since I haven't listened to them.

2) Yes, Suicide Silence have covered that Deftones song ever since their first demo. Cool that they're playing it. I actually would have liked to see another from that demo, like About a Plane Crash or Distorted Thought of Addiction.

3) Very disappointed with that SS set. I understand they're trying to promote the new album, but no Bludgeoned to Death? Really? It could have been longer, too, with another couple from The Cleansing.

4) I disagree with you on Unanswered, it is the best dumb breakdown MUST-MOSH-NOW song in all of deathcore! :bliss:

5) Reeeeeally wish SS would stop opening with Wake Up. I'm a little sick of that song, an they have much better material they could put in it's place.

6) All Shall Perish- solid set, same as Mayhem I think. Glad to see it, too. And I disagree with your want of Black Gold Reign, Awaken the Dreamers is their weakest album so far and not playing any songs from it is a smart move.

7) DAT UNEARTH SET. HOLY SHIT. FUCK YES. You don't realize how much pure fucking happiness I will get if they play Zombie Autopilot. :drool: And of course, The Great Dividers is their best song, so that will be fucking great. AND FINALLY, they're playing Black Hearts! :party: I would have been so disappoint if I didn't get to see that. I'm loving the Oncoming Storm love; my favorite album by them.

8) So glad to hear about the grand lack of dancers! I had a similar experience with Veil of Maya/Acacia Strain/Whitechapel, where there were just lots of big moshbros. I'm just wondering what the turnout will be, since it's at Peabody's in Cleveland, and that lineup could easily fill the House of Blues.

mastodon421 07-19-2011 05:59 AM

[QUOTE=jd091;377456]My thoughts:

1) Great Review, man! I'm seeing the same off-date lineup, but without Red Fang. Could kind of care less since I haven't listened to them.

2) Yes, Suicide Silence have covered that Deftones song ever since their first demo. Cool that they're playing it. I actually would have liked to see another from that demo, like About a Plane Crash or Distorted Thought of Addiction.

3) Very disappointed with that SS set. I understand they're trying to promote the new album, but no Bludgeoned to Death? Really? It could have been longer, too, with another couple from The Cleansing.

4) I disagree with you on Unanswered, it is the best dumb breakdown MUST-MOSH-NOW song in all of deathcore! :bliss:

5) Reeeeeally wish SS would stop opening with Wake Up. I'm a little sick of that song, an they have much better material they could put in it's place.

6) All Shall Perish- solid set, same as Mayhem I think. Glad to see it, too. And I disagree with your want of Black Gold Reign,[B] Awaken the Dreamers is their weakest album so far and not playing any songs from it is a smart move.[/B]7) DAT UNEARTH SET. HOLY SHIT. FUCK YES. You don't realize how much pure fucking happiness I will get if they play Zombie Autopilot. :drool: And of course, The Great Dividers is their best song, so that will be fucking great. AND FINALLY, they're playing Black Hearts! :party: I would have been so disappoint if I didn't get to see that. I'm loving the Oncoming Storm love; my favorite album by them.

8) So glad to hear about the grand lack of dancers! I had a similar experience with Veil of Maya/Acacia Strain/Whitechapel, where there were just lots of big moshbros. I'm just wondering what the turnout will be, since it's at Peabody's in Cleveland, and that lineup could easily fill the House of Blues.[/QUOTE]

Their playing Gagged,Bound,Shelved, and Forgotten off of Awaken The Dreamers. I also have to disagree with you on Awaken The Dreamers being their weakest album. Hate,Malice,Revenge is by far far their weakest record.

makethemsuffer12 07-19-2011 07:55 AM

It's just fucking wrong that both Unearth and ASP have to open for SS, [I]ESPECIALLY[/I] Unearth.

And I don't think I will ever be fully satisfied with an Unearth set until they actually play fucking "Giles."

larvtard 07-19-2011 07:59 AM

[QUOTE=makethemsuffer12;377485]It's just fucking wrong that both Unearth and ASP have to open for SS, [I]ESPECIALLY[/I] Unearth.

And I don't think I will ever be fully satisfied with an Unearth set until they actually play fucking "Giles."[/QUOTE]

Giles is like the only song by them I like, so the fact that they're not even playing it baffles me... :eyes:

masterguy49 07-19-2011 08:35 AM

FUCK THAT DEFTONES COVER :mad: :flame:
Deftones is one of my favorite bands and when SS plays that it pisses me off.

Overall that SS set is pretty standard, I think its practically the same set they are playing at mayhem except 2 or 3 additions for the worse, hell I think they are playing Bludgeoned at Mayhem :hmm: Also Nick, I've had the same experience with the band, everyone was cool except the singer, I also thought he was just tired. He seems so nice in interviews so I have trouble believing he's a douche.

The All Shall Perish set is the same as Mayhem, as well as that Red Fang set.

Only reason I would see anyone going to this is to see the Unearth set, which is badass!

Honestly though, in my opinion, it be better of going to Mayhem because I'm sure Unearth will be back and at Mayhem you also get Machine Head, Megadeth, Trivium, Red Fang, and In Flames(I guess).

CapnAwesome 07-19-2011 08:36 AM

[QUOTE=makethemsuffer12;377485]It's just fucking wrong that both Unearth and ASP have to open for SS[/QUOTE]

Almost as bad as when Dark Tranquillity had to play BEFORE The Devil Wears Prada AND Killswitch Engage

jd091 07-19-2011 08:45 AM

[QUOTE=CapnAwesome;377495]Almost as bad as when Dark Tranquillity had to play BEFORE The Devil Wears Prada AND Killswitch Engage[/QUOTE]

I'd rather see DWP over Dark Tranquility any day.

:ass:

mankvill 07-19-2011 08:55 AM

>Kansas City, MO

Holy shit are you kidding me

masterguy49 07-19-2011 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=mankvill;377504]>Kansas City, MO

Holy shit are you kidding me[/QUOTE]

Yeah Manks, what the hell! You had a opportunity to kill all of Suicide Silence and you blew it :nonono: