WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Primus -- Austin, TX -- May 24th, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=16987)

Natrlhi 05-24-2011 10:12 PM

Primus -- Austin, TX -- May 24th, 2011

Source: Me, Les Claypool (for "The Last Salmon Man" :D)
Venue: Stubb's BBQ

So I'm sitting in a Denny's right now next to my hotel, drinking a strawberry banana smoothie by myself, typing a setlist into my Blackberry. What an awesomely weird moment. I just spent at least a half hour jaw-jacking with smearCampaign and razor_shark about all things metal (and some things not). Great to meet you guys, BTW.

Anyway, it's getting late and I have a business meeting tomorrow at 7:45 AM (and plus this keyboard is small as fuck), so setlist now and gig report later:

[B][U]PRIMUS[/U][/B]
Harold of the Rocks (w/ ext. jam)
Duchess and the Proverbial Mind Spread
[B][I]Hennepin Crawler[/I][/B]
:ecw: American Life
[B][I]The Last Salmon Man (Fisherman's Chronicles, Part 4)[/I][/B] :rocker:
Over the Falls
[B][I]Tragedy's a' Comin'[/I][/B]
:ecw: Those Damn Blue Collar Tweekers :rocker:
Drum / Whamola Jam (complete with Les in a monkey mask)
[B][I]Jilly's on Smack[/I][/B] :rocker:
[B][I]The Green Ranger[/I][/B]
:ecw: Eleven
My Name Is Mud (which is apparently a note-for-note cover of Van Halen's "Jamie's Cryin'"...who knew?) :bliss:
:ecw: Jerry Was a Racecar Driver
---
Southbound Pachyderm :drool: :eek: :bowdown:

[B][I]New songs are listed in bold italics.[/I][/B]

The Ghost at Number One 05-25-2011 01:45 AM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;363380]My Name Is Mud (which is apparently a note-for-note cover of Van Halen's "Jamie's Cryin'"...who knew?)[/QUOTE]Um...what?

TonyD 05-25-2011 02:20 AM

I was gonna say...

ShatteredFlame 05-25-2011 06:21 AM

Thought the new album news would be bullshit but...DAMN! Better come out soon!

smearCampaign 05-25-2011 10:42 AM

Awesome meeting you as well Nat, good conversation with you and razor_shark!

Primus did not disappoint as usual. It was great to see Jay Lane drumming with them, as I had only seen them with Tim previously. They had the giant inflatable spacemen on stage with image projected onto the masks, which I think has been their stage setup since about 06; but it still looks cool as hell. The new songs all sounded really good and I couldn't be more excited for the new album, also considering that means they will be doing even more touring once it's released. Claypool had a good amount of his standard fun stage banter. My personal highlights were American Life and Southbound Pachyderm. They had quite a few jams interspersed throughout the set and watching them play off of each other was a lot of fun. Great band, great show. :party:

BloodoftheKings 05-25-2011 12:03 PM

[QUOTE=Natrlhi;363380]My Name Is Mud (which is apparently a note-for-note cover of Van Halen's "Jamie's Cryin'"...who knew?)[/QUOTE]

:confused:

Natrlhi 08-19-2011 10:41 PM

[QUOTE=The Ghost at Number One;363403]Um...what?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=TonyD;363406]I was gonna say...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=BloodoftheKings;363468]:confused:[/QUOTE]

It's just a dumb joke that Les made before they played the song, but the way he did it was pretty funny. His sense of humor is quirky to say the least, but as smearCampaign stated, his fun stage banter is just one of the many things that makes a PRIMUS show an awesome experience. :D

[I]By the way, since the new album has leaked and I've had a chance to listen to it, I've updated the original post with the correct titles of all the new songs.[/I]

jhdeity 08-21-2011 04:10 PM

LOVE Hennepin Crawler. It kinda resembles the Short Skirt, Long Jacket riff but it's worlds cooler. Last Salmon Man will surely be a favorite also.

Natrlhi 08-22-2011 12:55 PM

[QUOTE=jhdeity;388272]LOVE Hennepin Crawler. It kinda resembles the Short Skirt, Long Jacket riff but it's worlds cooler. Last Salmon Man will surely be a favorite also.[/QUOTE]Agreed - "Hennepin Crawler" is pretty good. "Last Salmon Man" was indeed pretty sweet live, and it's even better on the album. Another song that's like that is "Jilly's on Smack". That was my favorite of the new tracks they played at this gig, and it's currently my favoriote on the album as well. I love the upright bass on that song, and the overall atmosphere is just so haunting and awesome. It's like another "Mr. Krinkle" or something like that. If you listen closely, you can also hear that Les does some tapping on the bass as well as straightforward playing with the bow. That fucker knows how to coax some pretty strange sounds out of the instruments he plays, and in some very unusual ways.

EDIT: The more I listen to "Eyes of the Squirrel", the more familiar it sounds. I'm thinking they may have played it somewhere in this set as well.

300%_Density 08-23-2011 03:45 PM

I've fallen in love w/ Moron TV. "Moron TV. There's got to be something more on TV." Such a simple lyric yet quite intelligent. Haven't heard all of it but I do like what I've heard so far.