WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Comakaust -- Millbrae, CA -- May 13th, 2005 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=1680)

ADD 05-14-2005 11:44 AM

Comakaust -- Millbrae, CA -- May 13th, 2005

Last weekend Fall Shadow asked me if I could go a local show with him on Friday the 13th. Some friend's of his from school were playing, and since it was nearby and cost only $5 I figured why the fuck not? Yesterday afternoon after school I went to a friend's house to finish a school project, and from there Fallen Shadow picked me up and we went to the show. The Millbrae rec center is a decent sized place with a good concert set up i.e good size stage, pizza shack, and a skateboarding area outside. I've never been to one of these before and neither had FS so it was new to us. I met a bunch of his friends from school at first (nice guys; gonna get to jam with them sometime) and scoped out the scene. I noticed a wide variety of poeple, lots of punks and HxC kids though sadly and few true metallers. I tried to remember the names of all the band shirts I saw so I'll ring 'em up here: Lamb Of God, Judas Priest, Caliban, Pantera, Napalm Death, Cannibal Corpse, Slipknot, Atryeu, Ozzy Osbourne, The Ramones, The Virus, The Germs, In Flames, Thin Lizzy, Black Sabbath, The Black Dahlia Murder, Norma Jean, Black Label Society, Mudvayne, Otep, and System Of A Down. This should give a good idea of the range of the crowd. Sadly, only me and FS had Maiden shirts on :mad: I met some guys who went to the King Diamond show last weekend; ALL of them went for The Black Dahlia Murder though :bouville: They said they thought KD were awesome as well though. I also noticed some other things about the crowd; lots of drugs and lots of skanky chicks:naughty: This one girl we were talking too was so high she couldn't even remember what the hell she was saying:lol: Lots of skaters and punks abound. The pit got pretty heavy at times, but I didn't go in (had to stay out because I had a baseball game today this morning) mostly though because of the STUPID hardcore kids doing their schizophrenic dances and running around like monekys. These kids need to learn what a real pit is all about! One kid actually got his arm broken too, so that wasn't a good thing. Anyways onto the bands...

We got to the show at just before 7:00 PM, and the first band had come on just after 6:30 so we caught the last part of their set. I didn't get the name but they fucking sucked. All you need to know: the singer had a Black Dahlia Murder shirt and the bassist was sporting a Mudvayne tee. Another stupid HxC act, which sadly seems to be the popular style these days. The only cool part was when the guitarist put the guitar behind his head and was soloing. After those guys came the most bizzare, sad, and hilarious event of the night. You would have had to be there to have apreciated the humor but I'll try to explain as best as I can: you are at a metal show, and suddenly after the very first act this guy who looks like an Abercrombie & Fitch poster boy comes out with an acoustic guitar and starts playing. All the while he's making idiotic comments to the crowd and acting as fruity as you could imagine. I felt like going up and slapping this dude in the face. The lowpoint was asking us to huddle around him for his set to "Make him feel important' or some stupid shit like that. The REALLY sad part is Fallen Shadow made like this was some kind of picnic and plopped down on the floor in fornt of him. He's still my buddy though and saved my ass from freezing cold after the gig. Back to the loser; he must have played his song "Forever" 3 different times, and that whiny falsetto made me want to puke:barf: After this tosser finished I went to get a slice of pizza and then headed to the front of stage for the next act...

[U]Element 96[/U]

These guys came next and were basically a pop-punk fusion. Translation: awful. The singer I must admit was a funny guy though. The guitarist came out in a polo shirt; dead giveaway that these guys would suck. Everyone seemed to really like them, and went nuts for their stupid teeny-bopper song at the end called "I'd Do Anything" Basically I don't recommend chekcing these guys out at all; laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame.

[U]Ederus[/U]

This was the band I came to see. They are basically the hot shit of our local scene and EVERYONE digs them. Previous to this show they were the only band I'd ever listened to, and I sorta bought into their melodeath sound. I was looking forward to them as a headliner type of thing. A note about the crowd: while during the first 2 bands people were kinda loosely scattered throughout the venue and outside skateboarding, doing drugs, etc., when Ederus came on you knew this would be something different. The venue was packed, and the pit was immense. Props to Fallen Shadows for going in, but I was happy in my position right against the monitor 2 feet away from the guitarist. I wanted to really study these guys. The drummer is a cool dude who i've known through baseball for a while, and he's got some FAST feet for a 15 year old kid. The band came onstage with the emo-looking singer in a Norma Jean shirt leading the charge, and the two guitarists looked pretty badass to. The bassist looked like a nerd in glasses and an Atreyu shirt, but my buddy behind the kit really knew how to get the crowd going. Props to him. Sadly, these guys disappointed me. With all the hype I was expecting a killer, tight performance but that's not what I saw. The singer at one point stopped to check his CELL PHONE during the set. WTF!? Their originals sounded all pretty much the same (some decent melodies sprinkled in though at times), and the guy's voice drove me nuts. Interetsing note: they played a cover of Bleeding Through's Love Lost In A Hail Of Gunfire, and that really got the place going. As much as I HATE Bleeding Through that was probably the best performance of the evening for them. I later found out during their set a kid broke his arm in the pit, further reassuring me that staying out was a wise decision. All in all I was disappointed with their set, and after being told they were the best it could get I felt a little discouraged.

[U]Hell's Wrath[/U]

After waiting around outside for an eternity waiting for Ederus to clear the stage and the next band to set up, finally we got back inside and I reassumed my position at the front of the stage for the next act: Hell's Wrath. These guys sure had a crew going for them, with flocks of girls sporting homemade T-Shirts and begging the lead singer to take his shirt off (which he eventually did at the end of their set). People were telling me outside that these guys suck, so I wasn't expecting much. They ended up BLOWING Ederus out of the water. Their sound was much more melodic and mid tempo, still incoporating the screamo crap though (but this guy was better). They played a Down cover but I didn't catch the name, although I remember it sounded good. These guys looked much more professional and had a better prescence. The singer reminded of Phil Anselmo for some reason, and NOT for any racist slurs of anything (they looked alike). Overall I enjoyed their set a lot more than the previous acts. However, the best was yet to come...

[U]Comakaust[/U]

These guys made my evening, plain and simple. THIS is what real Death Metal is supposed to sound like. I likened their sound very much to Nile actually; surprisingly technical as well with very developed song. I can attribute this to their singer/frontman- I say frontman because this guy patrolled the stage like a pro. He came out with a tasty Cannibal Corpse "Tomb Of The Mutilated" shirt after seen previously in a Napalm Death hoodie. The guy looked Latin with darker skin and a clean shaved head. I think Bouville would have appreciated these guys a lot; his voice was easily the most powerful of anyone there. He had a true, honest Death/Grindcore growl that he could actually hold for 30 seconds at a time. Very, very talented. His stage prescene was, again, the best of all. He was cracking jokes and had a very comical disposition when he wasn't singing, but during the song he gave off that sinister feeling in the raw emotion of his vocals. He also seems to be the main lyric/songwriter of the band, and he gets MAJOR props for that. These weren't just 4 chord open-string melodeath, hardcore pieces of crap; we're talking 7-8 minute devloped songs with different sections. There was a beautiful softer intro to a "song about the Son Of Sam" (I don't remember the name) which gave way to a crushing instrumental break before the vocals came in. Another interesting tidbit: the singer did the falsetto part from Pantera's Cememtary Gates and actually did it well, even though he said his voice was off. The guitarsts were rock solid and could shred like no one else there. I was also, as a drummer, very impressed with the endurance of the drummer. Highly skilled. These guys also didn't lack on gimmicks; they had a sculpted red baby head mounted on the drum riser:demonwing: Over all these guys made my evening, and I strongly suggest you look them up somewhere on the Internet and find some of their material. Hopefully they are just as good on CD as live.

After the show eneded Fallen Shadow and I walked around Millbrae in the freezing cold, blowing wind to try and find my mom to bring us home. I was wearing shorts and a T-Shirt and FS had on jeans and a jacket, so like a good friend he lent me his jacket to keep me warm:D We eventually sound my mom around 11 PM and drove home. Surprisingly I wasn't that tired this morning when I had to get up at 7 AM for a baseball game, and had a great game; I picthed a complete game shutout for my team and gave up just 2 hits and 2 walks in an 8-0 win. The wonders metal will do for you:lol:

So that was my Friday the 13th for ya...comments?

Spiral_Slave 05-14-2005 11:51 AM

Our local band scene conists of emo and hardcorebands. There is one metal band called Vagrancy ( [url]www.purevolume.com/vagrancy[/url] ) who have potential but aren't very big. Sounds like you had a pretty good night, and great news about your baseball game! :party:

ADD 05-14-2005 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=Spiral_Slave]Our local band scene conists of emo and hardcorebands. There is one metal band called Vagrancy ( [url]www.purevolume.com/vagrancy[/url] ) who have potential but aren't very big. Sounds like you had a pretty good night, and great news about your baseball game! :party:[/QUOTE]

:party:

Fallen Shadow 05-14-2005 04:12 PM

i like ederus

i think all those bands said there on myspace, so thats an easy way to check em out.

the first band was called icterus :P

you know that was hells wrath's first gig?

glad you had a good time :rockdevil

ADD 05-14-2005 04:25 PM

[QUOTE=Fallen Shadow]i like ederus

i think all those bands said there on myspace, so thats an easy way to check em out.

the first band was called icterus :P

you know that was hells wrath's first gig?

glad you had a good time :rockdevil[/QUOTE]

They were awesome for their first gig :rockdevil

Comakaust!!!!!!!! :flame: :mad: :bouville:

Fallen Shadow 05-14-2005 04:27 PM

wnat me to try to get you their cd?

ADD 05-14-2005 04:28 PM

[QUOTE=Fallen Shadow]wnat me to try to get you their cd?[/QUOTE]

Sure! :party: They definitely reminded me of Nile, which is a good thing :horns:

Fallen Shadow 05-14-2005 06:44 PM

o its also element 94 not 96 :tongue:

ADD 05-14-2005 08:18 PM

[QUOTE=Fallen Shadow]o its also element 94 not 96 :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Whatever:lol:

Fallen Shadow 05-15-2005 06:59 PM

that dude was funny