WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Down -- Maxwell, TX -- March 5th, 2011 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=16184)

smearCampaign 03-06-2011 01:08 AM

Down -- Maxwell, TX -- March 5th, 2011

Venue: The Cotton Gin

Eyes of the South :rocker:
Lysergic Funeral Procession
Hail the Leaf
Lifer
The Path
Pillars of Eternity :rocker:
Rehab
Ghosts Along the Mississippi
New Orleans is a Dying Whore :rocker:
N.O.D.
Stone the Crow
Losing All
Bury Me in Smoke

I am positive that these are the songs they played, but they might be out of order in the middle. They definitely opened with EOTS and Lysergic and closed with Bury Me in Smoke.

This was day 2 of the Texas Independence Fest, about 40 minutes southwest of Austin. It was a chilly night out there in the county, about 38 degrees by the time Down came out around 10:30. The venue was a pavilion type thing, so even though there was a roof it was still outside. But once they got into Eyes of the South people started moving and things began to warm up. When Phil did the tribute to Dimebag before Lifer the place went nuts for a solid 4 minutes or so since this is Texas after all. Whether or not you like Phil Anselmo is up for you to decide, but goddamn, I find him to be an extremely entertaining frontman. I just love watching Down on stage because you can see how much fun they are having together jamming. Rex did not play this show, they had Pat from Crowbar playing bass and made it sound like that will be the arrangement for upcoming shows. During the jam at the end of Bury Me in Smoke local band and opener Honky came out and took over in traditional Down set closing fashion. They all sounded great together tonight and Phil's voice was excellent all night IMO. Since the show was out in the country they could really push the volume too. Those stacks of orange amps can get LOUD. :horns:

El Gordo 03-06-2011 05:12 AM

Nice set, if a little short. Opening with EOTS = win.

HandOfDoom 03-06-2011 05:58 AM

[QUOTE=El Gordo;344303]Nice set, if a little short. Opening with EOTS = win.[/QUOTE]

Thats the first thing I thought when I saw the set, I love how EOTS starts all bluesy and just builds into sludgy awesomeness.

El Gordo 03-06-2011 06:14 AM

[QUOTE=HandOfDoom;344305]Thats the first thing I thought when I saw the set, I love how EOTS starts all bluesy and just builds into sludgy awesomeness.[/QUOTE]

Yes. One of the best song intros/openings ever.

bobbie solo 03-06-2011 11:05 PM

they keep the set like this & ill def. attend when it comes to me in jersey. would be curious what a new song sounds like if they got anything in the can.

petrovar 03-07-2011 10:31 AM

[QUOTE=El Gordo;344309]Yes. One of the best song intros/openings ever.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. Great set overall