WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Metallica -- Detroit, MI -- January 13th, 2009 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15607)

TiradesOfTruth 12-30-2010 02:24 PM

Metallica -- Detroit, MI -- January 13th, 2009

Well this is my first thread and I thought id review my favorite concert ive been too. The Sword, Machine Head, and Metallica were playing. When we got to Joe Louis Arena the gates were opened we had seats so I didn't have to worry about getting their early.

First up was The Sword who was new too me. I didn't really know any songs other then the ones I heard on the internet. They were pretty good but didn't really catch my attention. Here is their set.

1.The Sundering
2.Barael's Blade
3.How Heavy This Axe
4.Maiden, Mother & Crone
5.Fire Lances Of The Ancient Hyperzephyrians
6.Iron Swan
7.Freya

Machine Head was next first time seeing them. I heard so much good things about them. I love their new album. They tore it up had about three nice pits that i saw. They also played a badass cover of Hallowed Be Thy Name.

1.Clenching the Fists of Dissent
2.Imperium
3.Beautiful Mourning
4.Hallowed Be Thy Name
(Iron Maiden cover)
5.Halo
6.Davidian

Finally the main reason I came, the metal legends Metallica. They played a awesome set. The song of the night was Creeping Death for me. Had awesome light show and stage setup. The pit was massive from where my seats were.

The Ecstasy of Gold
(Ennio Morricone cover)
1.That Was Just Your Life
2.The End of the Line
3.Creeping Death :rocker:
4.For Whom the Bell Tolls
5.One
6.Broken, Beat & Scarred
7.Cyanide
8.Sad But True
9.Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
10.All Nightmare Long
11.The Day That Never Comes
12.Master of Puppets
13.Damage Inc.
14.Nothing Else Matters
15.Enter Sandman
Encore:
16.Last Caress
(Misfits cover)
17.Breadfan
(Budgie cover)
18.Seek & Destroy

jhdeity 12-30-2010 02:33 PM

Cool 1st post. I missed that tour and am still regretting it.

TiradesOfTruth 12-30-2010 03:15 PM

Yeah this was one of my all time favorite lineups.

bobbie solo 12-30-2010 09:27 PM

the legs of the tour with that lineup were very very cool to see when they first announced it. good bang for your buck, even though im sure most of the clueless metallica meatheads came in late and missed the great openers bc they were too busy getting shitfaced with their bro's in the parking lot.

also, that metallica setlist is lame.

Maidenmagic 12-31-2010 06:18 AM

I'm so glad that I went to the first leg to hear Down (not that I like them) instead of Machine Head ripping off the greatest band of all time. Most of people probably didn't know it was Maiden. I would have loved to hear Creeping Death and All Nightmare Long but unfournately got "Of Wolf and Man" and "The Thing that should not be." Got "Damage Inc" (That and One were the best songs of the night.) I got "Last Caress" too which I can't stand. Fournately got Hit the lights instead of another cover. The only other song that was different was that I got "Wherever I may roam" (Five black album songs in total) instead of "Welcome home (Sanitarium)". So really only a four song difference.

Sepultura69 12-31-2010 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=bobbie solo;326597]even though im sure most of the clueless metallica meatheads came in late and missed the great openers bc they were too busy getting shitfaced with their bro's in the parking lot.[/QUOTE]

Not everyone missed the openers because they were too busy getting shitfaced. I personally hate the Sword and Machine Head. I purposely tried to miss both of their sets because the music they make is total and utter SHIT...

I remember we almost got kicked out of the show just for Booing The Sword! No Joke! It started to piss the security guard off a lot for some reason............maybe he was a fan as well?

Anyways....it was pissing him off so much to the point that he got out of the stage/rails and made his way around the arena and went through all this trouble just to personally come to us and threaten to kick us out if we proceed to keep booing the Sword....I've never had this type of shit happend before. I mean who the hell gets butt hurt over booing your favorite band?...long story short we ended up keeping our mouths shut for the rest of the Swords shitty set

[QUOTE=bobbie solo;326597]
also, that metallica setlist is lame.[/QUOTE]

I agree. I honestly thought maybe it was just me but I'm glad I'm not the only one that finds that to be a very Bland set. They should have dropped the two cover songs in favor of something better like Fight fire or Whiplash

bobbie solo 12-31-2010 03:10 PM

u shouldnt boo any band, no matter how band they are, or how much u hate them. theyre up there playing for you, as your entertainment. that's disrespectful.

girnny777 12-31-2010 03:30 PM

That Metallica set is okay. It's pretty similar to when I saw them, just replace:

For Whom The Bell Tolls
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Last Caress
Breadfan

with

The Thing That Should Not Be
The Unforgiven
Stone Cold Crazy
Phantom Lord

The_jman 12-31-2010 07:48 PM

I actually like that set.

Sanitarium78 01-01-2011 05:31 PM

[QUOTE=bobbie solo;326597]
also, that metallica setlist is lame.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean. How dare they play such duds like Creeping Death, For Whom The Bell Tolls, Sanitarium and Damage Inc, right? All Nightmare Long is easily the worst song on DM too. Doesn't Metallica know that the real classics everyone wants to hear are Ain't My Bitch, Mama Said, Slither and Frantic?

What the hell were they thinking putting this set together:D

On a serious note, if I was at this show I would've been happy with that set. Nice first post DevilDriver1995, hopefully you'll stick around and no of us will scare you away too quickly;)