WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   I couldn't think of a clever name for a review thread (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=15586)

larvtard 12-24-2010 06:00 PM

Loganarchy's favorite albums of 2010, etc.

EDIT: changed title of thread... I'd like to think that the confusing title is the reason nobody has been commenting on here :eyes:

Expect a Top 10 Performances of the year up soon (opting to do this rather than shows themselves).
In addition, I shall have my Top 10 Albums of the Year list up sometime next week :)

In the meantime, let's get this off to a controversial start, shall we?

[FONT="Impact"][SIZE="5"]Most Surprising Performances (not ranked)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT="Fixedsys"]*that is, the bands I hated/disliked on record that weren't half-bad live*[/FONT]

[U]Suicide Silence @ Lakewood Amphittheatre[/U]
[B][I]Warped Tour[/I][/B]

First of all, I don't [I]hate[/I] these guys on record. They've got a couple of decent/pretty good songs. They're definitely not a favorite of mine, though.

A couple of kids at my school have told me how great this band is live. Obviously, I'm not one to side with scene kids, but in this case, I have to. They were actually pretty good live and held my interest for a little while. Mitch Lucker is a loser, constantly calling for circle pits and telling the crowd to put their middle fingers up in the air, but he does have a decent stage presence, to boot. "Wake Up" and "Lifted" were pretty sick :blaze:

[U]Carnifex, Veil of Maya @ Masquerade- Heaven stage[/U]
[B][I]Summer Slaughter[/I][/B]

I hate both of these guys on record. Their breakdowns and overall tone are pretty fucking horrendous. However, neither band particularly sucked balls that day. Carnfiex weren't [I]good[/I] per se, but they were by no means bad, either. Veil of Maya, on the other hand, were actually really good live. They sounded so much different. Since the show, I've read that their gimmick is the guitarist playing his stuff back through his pedal or something. It made everything sound more electronica-esque.

[U]Gaza @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Converge, [B]Gaza[/B], Black Breath[/I]

Gaza's label as "sludgy grind" definitely appeals to me. I like sludge and I love grind. However, these guys are just way too slow and boring for my taste. Their grind parts are too few in number and not interesting enough.
However, they did impress me live. The band was energetic and they sounded heavy as fuck. Very fun performance, actually.

larvtard 12-24-2010 07:33 PM

[SIZE="5"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][FONT="Impact"]Top Live Performances of the Year[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE]
[U]
10. Vital Remains @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]

A crushing set. 20 minutes of painstaking kickassery and brutality. Admittedly, the sound could have been better- which may have contributed to my somewhat failed expectations. Nevertheless, it was fucking sick. "Dechristanize" ripped my face off, and more.

[U]9. Black Breath @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Converge, Gaza, [B]Black Breath[/B][/I]

They only played a 20-minute set, but wow, what a set! The frontman definitely played the part of hardcore frontman onstage, maybe without any jumping into the crowd. I can't really add anything else, except confirm what everybody else is saying, that Black Breath are a great live band, indeed.
[U]
8. Testament @ Tabernacle[/U]
[I]Megadeth, [B]Testament[/B], Exodus[/I]

My single biggest piece of evidence that Testament is a fantastic live band? They played all of [I]The Legacy[/I]...I hate that album. (Oh yeah, they played "Into The Pit," too :D)

[U]7. Malevolent Creation @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Exodus, [B]Malevolent Creation[/B], Holy Grail, Bonded by Blood
[/I]
They blew away Exodus without a doubt. I didn't recognize anything they played, but by god they fucking killed it! They played about 40 minutes and savagely beat my ass all the way through. Oh god, it was sooooo brutal....

[U]6. Goatwhore @ Masquerade- Hell[/U]
[I]Watain, [B]Goatwhore[/B], Black Anvil[/I]

Awesome performance. I was right up front, shouting most of the words and headbanging my ass off. Ben looked at me a bunch and gave me a :fist:. Great setlist, too. Ben has such an amazing stage presence. I waited so long to see these guys (I actually missed 7 different chances to see them) and they definitely did not disappoint. :party:

larvtard 12-25-2010 09:48 AM

[U]5. Cephalic Carnage @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]

Even though their new album sucks, I cannot deny the sheer awesomeness of this performance. I was in love with [I]Xenosapien[/I] at the time and so I had looked forward to them, for sure, but I did not expect them to blow my mind to such an extent. They played for about 25 minutes and totally kicked my ass that night. Although this was my first grind "show," I still had yet to fully grasp the power of grindcore in a live setting...

[U]4. Every Time I Die @ Masquerade- Hell[/U]
[I][B]Every Time I Die[/B], Trap Them, Howl
[/I]
This was on their "intimate venue" tour. Though the venue wasn't as intimate and small as I would've liked, it was still very nice and much better than the venues they usually play. The place was fucking packed, and the crowd was crazy as hell. But what do you expect at an ETID show? The setlist was amazingg, though I do wish they played for more than an hour. I can't complain, though. Even though the crowd probably drowned out the band at times, I still heard the band perfectly and enjoyed myself immensely. I wish I had the balls to stage-dive, though... :bouville:

[U]3. Death Angel @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I][B]Death Angel[/B], Halycon Way, Brazen Angel, Force of Habbit[/I]

I kind of liked these guys before I saw them live, but I didn't think they were [I]that [/I]good. [I]The Ultra-Violence[/I] was a pretty good album but that was about it. Still, in the back of my mind I thought/hoped that Death Angel would be one of those bands who completely surprises me live. I was right. They were intensely captivating, just simply amazing, really. I felt bad for them, though: barely 40 people showed up, and the venue was almost 900-person capacity. I had to leave before the encore, unfortunately, but all in all it was a great night. Thrashtastic :blaze:

[U]2. Wormrot @ Eyedrum[/U]
[I]Phobia, Maruta, [B]Wormrot[/B][/I]

These guys did not fail to meet my expectations. In fact, they exceeded them. Wow... even after Cephalic, I never realized how fun grindcore could be live! Seeing them in an art gallery with 25 other people seemed oh so fitting. They rocketed through [I]Abuse [/I]as well as a bunch of new songs from their recent split with I Abhor. How a three-piece band could make so much fucking noise is beyond me. All of us were crammed right against the stage, headbanging and going crazy in general. The moshing was the best I've experienced at [I]any[/I] show. Perhaps this was because there was not a traditional "pit," just people running around apeshit. Best show all year without a doubt.

[U]1. Vektor @ 585 Wells St[/U]
[I][B]Vektor[/B], Severed Faith, Living Decay[/I]

Wow... Just wow. Wormrot may have been the show of the year, but this was definitely the performance of the year...even if I only saw one song. Yep, one song ("Black Future"), and that song alone was the best performance I've seen by [I]any [/I]band [I]ever[/I]. It was so immensely powerful. Amazingly enough, I wasn't even a Vektor fan at the time. I thought they were good, but like Brad here, I didn't think they were anything special. Seeing them live in an old warehouse with 30 other people changed all of that for me. And pretty much everyone else who has seen Vektor live will tell you the same thing, that they are probably the best live band in metal, today, yesterday, and tomorrow :horns:

mankvill 12-25-2010 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=loganarchy;325509]

[U]1. Vektor @ 585 Wells St[/U]
[I][B]Vektor[/B], Severed Faith, Living Decay[/I]

Wow... Just wow. Wormrot may have been the show of the year, but this was definitely the performance of the year...even if I only saw one song. Yep, one song ("Black Future"), and that song alone was the best performance I've seen by [I]any [/I]band [I]ever[/I]. It was so immensely powerful. Amazingly enough, I wasn't even a Vektor fan at the time. I thought they were good, but like Brad here, I didn't think they were anything special. Seeing them live in an old warehouse with 30 other people changed all of that for me. And pretty much everyone else who has seen Vektor live will tell you the same thing, that they are probably the best live band in metal, today, yesterday, and tomorrow :horns:[/QUOTE]

FUCK YEAH SON :shred:

DethMaiden 12-25-2010 11:43 AM

ONE song made them your #1.

WHAT THE FUCK AM I MISSING

larvtard 12-25-2010 12:34 PM

:lol:

See them live. Before I saw them live I was on the same boat as you.

larvtard 12-26-2010 04:59 PM

[FONT="System"][SIZE="7"]The 5 Worst Performances of the Year...[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="System"][SIZE="6"]by bands I had already hated/disliked beforehand:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[U]5. Megadeth @ Gwinnett Arena[/U]
[I]Slayer, [B]Megadeth[/B], Anthrax[/I]

I don't particularly dislike Megadeth, I just had no expectations for them after their shitty performance w/ Testament and Exodus. Unlike Slayer, however, I wasnít hoping that I would be pleasantly surprised by their second performance, because I donít really like Megadeth anyway (but like I said, I don't dislike them either). So yeah, Mustaine is a loser, and his vocals have gone down the shitter. Thatís basically it, really.

[U]4. Devin Townsend @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, [B]Devin Townsend[/B], Scale the Summit[/I]

I didnít expect much in the first place, so I canít put this in the Disappointing category, but wow, this guy was bad. Even before he had to use the metronome or whatever, he wasnít very good. Also, my friend, a huge Devy fan, thought he sucked.

[U]3. Howl @ Masquerade- Hell[/U]
[I]Every Time I Die, Trap Them, [B]Howl[/B][/I]

similar to Zoroaster in terms of loudness (you'll read about that below), but not as loud nor as bad.

[U]2. Bonded by Blood @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Exodus, Malevolent Creation, Holy Grail, [B]Bonded by Blood[/B][/I]

Decent thrash, I guess, but the vocals absolutely killed it for me.

[U]1. The Faceless @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]

I cannot see how or why people go so crazy over their live shows. They sounded so flat, so weak. I do hate the band, but I was honestly surprised at how fucking bad they were live.

[FONT="System"][SIZE="6"]by bands I had never listened to before:[/SIZE][/FONT]

[U]5. Batillus @ Eyedrum[/U]
[I]Kowloon Walled City, [B]Batillus[/B][/I]

Like Zoroaster, I knew that they were doom metal, which is why I didnít listen to them beforehand. Incredibly loud performance, maybe even louder than Zoroaster. Fortunately, their music was better. (Honestly, once I retreated into the other room and the music wasnít nearly as loud, it actually sounded okay.)

[U]4. Zoroaster @ Criminal Records (in-store performance)[/U]

This show alone probably gave me tinnitus. A half-hour set of the LOUDEST music Iíve ever heard. And it all sounded the same and wasnít very good, but man, the VOLUME.

[U]3. Holy Grail @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Exodus, Malevolent Creation, [B]Holy Grail[/B], Bonded by Blood[/I]

I didnít dig the power metal-thrash thing they had going on, and the vocals were just horrendous.

[U]2. Brazen Angel @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Death Angel, [B]Brazen Angel[/B], Force of Habbit[/I]

Really, really cheesy power metal. Or maybe just power metal, I'm not sure. (I don't listen to power metal, so I dunno if this would be considered any good.)

[U]1. Force of Habbit @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I]Death Angel, Brazen Angel, [B]Force of Habbit[/B][/I]

see above.

larvtard 12-26-2010 05:19 PM

[FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="6"]The 5 Most Disappointing Performances of the Year[/SIZE][/FONT]
*measured by extent to which I was disappointed, not the shittyness of the performance itself*

[U]5. All Shall Perish @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]

Yes, I admit it. For a deathcore band, Iím quite fond of All Shall Perish. But they were pretty shitty live. Well, no, I take that back. They were probably the shittiest band at Summer Slaughter, with The Faceless a close second. I dunno if they sounded weak per se, but something about their live performance made me question why I had ever liked them in the first place. They definitely did not transcend the deathcore genre on stage.

[U]4. Megadeth @ Tabernacle[/U]
[I][B]Megadeth[/B], Testament, Exodus[/I]

I knew that Cumstaineís vocals werenít very good anymore (which is why my friend and I passed on the tour with High on Fire a couple years back, before I knew about High on Fire). But I did not realize how bad they actually were. The band sounded horrible as well (maybe bad sound? I doubt it). Then he went blabbering on about his childhood for about ten minutes. What a douche.

[U]3. Exodus @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I][B]Exodus[/B], Malevolent Creation, Holy Grail, Bonded by Blood[/I]

I enjoyed these guys a lot when I saw them with Megadeth. Honest to Satan, I did. However, they just flat out blew this time. I think the sound was off as well, but I finally did realize the extent to which Rob Dukes is a douche. I mean, I donít think heís a particularly mean guy, but heís just a fucking loser, with his anti-terrorist t-shirts and rants. I like him the best out of all the Exodus frontmen, but I still think heís pretty annoying. And what a shitty setlist! Iím glad they did ďChildren of A Worthless God,Ē but címon, no ďA Lesson in ViolenceĒ?

[U]2. Between The Buried and Me @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U]
[I][B]Between the Buried and Me[/B], Cynic, Devin Townsend, Scale the Summit[/I]

All their songs sounded the same live, despite the fact that they clearly donít on record. And the crowdÖdonít get me started on them.

[U]1. Slayer @ Alcatraz (Milan, IT)[/U]
[U] @ Tabernacle[/U]
[I][B]Slayer[/B], The Haunted
[B]Slayer[/B], Megadeth, Anthrax[/I]

You can read all about in my review (itís a good, lengthy one), but hereís the short version: This summer, I was on vacation in Italy at the time with my family, and Slayer was playing in Milan (through which we had originally planned to pass on the train). So I saw my favorite band. And they were not as good as I expected. Not nearly as good. True, I had set my expectations way too highÖ.but really, Slayer? Really? For the next few months I was convinced that it was the sound that sucked, not the band itself. When they rolled through Atlanta with Megadeth, I went to find out whether my theory was correct. Still hard to say, but Iím guessing No. They were still terrible. I mean, this place wasnít particularly known for having good sound, either, but that would be a bit of a coincidence, donít you think?

Sepultura69 12-26-2010 10:38 PM

[QUOTE=loganarchy;325684][FONT="System"][SIZE="7"]The Worst Performances of the Year...[/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="4"][U]2. Bonded by Blood @ Masquerade- Heaven[/U][/SIZE]
[I]Exodus, Malevolent Creation, Holy Grail, [B]Bonded by Blood[/B][/I]

Decent thrash, I guess, but the [SIZE="4"]vocals absolutely killed it for me[/SIZE].[/QUOTE]

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU 100% ON EVERYTHING.

I have only seen Bonded By Blood once in concert, but goddamn they were one of the worst live bands I have ever seen in my life. Holy shit, they were fucking terrible. The riffs and drummings didn't sound too bad but it was the VOCALIST that totally killed it for me...Holy hell, he sounded like a 12 year old girl with down syndrome(His Lyrics and voice is so goddamn corny and lame I couldn't take this band serious). I saw them in May of this year at the 4th annual Thrasho De Mayo Metal Festival before the original singer left. I don't know how the new singer sounds but the one I had to endure couldn't sing for shit even if his fucking life depended on it....I don't get how some of the people on this board can like this piece of garbage:hecho:

Bonded By Blood = :barf:

inb4 cool story bro

IrritatedTrout 12-27-2010 07:01 AM

You saw Slayer in a foreign country and it was your biggest disappointment along with another Slayer show and 2 Megadeth shows? And your best performance was 1 song by some underground band? I feel bad for you man.:lol: