WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Rush -- Pittsburgh, PA -- September 16th, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=14646)

daimonos 09-17-2010 11:18 AM

Rush -- Pittsburgh, PA -- September 16th, 2010

This was my second time seeing the almighty Rush, the first being a couple years ago on the first leg of the Snakes and Arrows tour. I had been anxiously awaiting the show all week. I got lucky because my dad bought both of the tickets awhile ago, so I didn't have to pay for this one. This was the first show I've been to with my dad in awhile, and it was a good time. This is the first time I have been to The Consol Energy Center, the newly opened hockey arena in Pittsburgh, and it's a pretty nice place. Our seats were directly in front of the stage in the stadium seats, so even though we weren't that close, our seats weren't too bad.

Rush's video intro started at 7:45. I could feel the excitement building up. They started with The Spirit of Radio and it was great. Time Stand Still was nice to see too. I'll be honest though, I wasn't completely impressed with the song selection of the first set, but it was still a good time. I just kept on thinking, "Soon I'll get to see the whole Moving Pictures album and some other cool old stuff." The highlights of the first set for me would have been Time Stand Still, Stick It Out, Leave That Thing Alone, Freewill, and Subdivisions. I could have done without the songs from Snakes and Arrows, however, but I was expecting songs from that album anyways.

After the intermission it was time for Moving Pictures. Fuck yeah! Red Barchetta was great, and The Camera Eye turned out to be way better than I expected live. After that one was two of my favorite Rush songs, Witch Hunt and Vital Signs (Wierd picks?). Vital Signs was incredible, and was definitely one of the best songs of the night. The new song Caravan was really good, I liked it alot more than BU2B. It almost sounded like old Rush, which is a good sign. Next was Neil's drum solo, and of course I was very impressed. Closer to the Heart and 2112 were next, and I was extremely happy to see both of them. Far Cry was cool, but I didn't expect it to be the closer. After a brief amount of time backstage, Rush came back and jammed into La Villa Strangiato, which is quite possibly my favorite instrumental of all time. Then to close out the night they played what started as a reggae version of Working Man. After that there was a video segment with Paul Rudd and the other guy from I Love You Man, and Rush, which was pretty damn funny. They finished up right before 11.

The Spirit Of Radio
Time Stand Still
Presto
Stick It Out
Workin' Them Angels
Leave That Thing Alone
Faithless
BU2B
Freewill
Marathon
Subdivisions
-----------------
Tom Sawyer
Red Barchetta
YYZ
Limelight
The Camera Eye
Witch Hunt
Vital Signs
Caravan
Drum Solo
Acoustic Solo
Closer To The Heart
2112 (Overture/Temple of Syrinx)
Far Cry
-----------------
La Villa Strangiato
Working Man

My only complaint is that I would have liked to see some more stuff from A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Caress of Steel, ect.

IrritatedTrout 09-17-2010 11:21 AM

Seeing this tomorrow.:party:

petrovar 09-17-2010 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=IrritatedTrout;304520]Seeing this tomorrow.:party:[/QUOTE]

And apparently Carrie Underwood in November??

Travis The Dragon 09-17-2010 12:41 PM

:confused: You say Witch Hunt and Vital Signs were weird picks yet you knew they were doing all of MP.

daimonos 09-17-2010 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=fonzbear2000;304534]:confused: You say Witch Hunt and Vital Signs were weird picks yet you knew they were doing all of MP.[/QUOTE]

I was saying that they are two of my favorite Rush songs, and that those are probably weird picks for favorite Rush songs.

snowdog2112 09-17-2010 03:54 PM

[QUOTE=daimonos;304518]My only complaint is that I would have liked to see some more stuff from A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Caress of Steel, ect.[/QUOTE]
Doubt you will ever see deep cut from those records

Sanitarium78 09-17-2010 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=daimonos;304518]
My only complaint is that I would have liked to see some more stuff from A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Caress of Steel, ect.[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't be a complaint considering they don't do much from those albums anymore. They haven't played anything off COS in maybe 30 years. Circumstances last tour and A Passage To Bangkok on the R30 tour is as good as it's gonna get when it comes to deep cuts from the 70s.

They have to tune the guitars down for all the 70s stuff quite a bit to fit Geddy's voice now. Basically, some stuff just isn't gonna sound right and vocally Geddy, at 57 years old, can't sing too many of those songs night after night without straining his voice and possibly doing severe damage to it.

Cinderella Man might be a good deep cut to bust out next year. I think Geddy can handle that one just fine still.

snowdog2112 09-17-2010 04:52 PM

I am hoping for A Farewell To Kings next tour

Sanitarium78 09-17-2010 05:19 PM

[QUOTE=snowdog2112;304574]I am hoping for A Farewell To Kings next tour[/QUOTE]

Would love to hear it as well. That ones gonna be tough for Geddy to pull off vocally now.

Travis The Dragon 09-17-2010 05:40 PM

[QUOTE=daimonos;304537]I was saying that they are two of my favorite Rush songs, and that those are probably weird picks for favorite Rush songs.[/QUOTE]

Nothing weird about that. I think they're some of Rush's VERY BEST.