WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Deftones -- Cleveland, OH -- September 14th, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=14635)

petrovar 09-14-2010 07:53 PM

Deftones -- Cleveland, OH -- September 14th, 2010

Venue: House of Blues
Source: Me

This Will Destroy You opened the show. I'd never heard of them before, but they were really good. They are an instrumental band that's in the vein of Red Sparowes, Explosions in the Sky and Pelican.

In the past, a lot of people have said that the Deftones suck in concert. Having seen them before, I didn't necessarily think they sucked, but they were definitely off a bit...my opinion has been changed. They fucking KILLED it tonight. Everyone was on. Chino was bullshitting with the crowd throughout the night and was hilarious. I'm a big Quicksand fan, so the choice of Sergio Vega to replace Chi to me was an awesome choice. This was the last show before the Blackdiamondskye tour:

Diamond Eyes
Rocket Skates
Around the Fur
My Own Summer (Shove It)
Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
Needles and Pins
When Girls Telephone Boys
Knife Prty
Elite
Digital Bath
Prince
You've Seen The Butcher
Sextape
Beauty School
Risk
Passenger
Change (In the House of Flies)
Birthmark
Nosebleed

Encore:
Engine No. 9
7 Words

Highlights were Rocket Skates, Be Quiet and Drive, Change and Engine No. 9, but everything was awesome.

jhdeity 09-14-2010 09:22 PM

Passsenger is so high on my list of songs I want to see live. I like the changes with this set over the last one I saw. I'm jakked for BDS!

petrovar 09-15-2010 03:36 AM

[QUOTE=jhdeity;304027]Passsenger is so high on my list of songs I want to see live. I like the changes with this set over the last one I saw. I'm jakked for BDS![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm glad they headlined Cleveland since BDS isn't coming here. Passenger live is great...hopefully they play it on the tour for you.

JLRedWing13 09-15-2010 09:33 AM

Shame this set probably won't even be half as long on BlackDiamondSkye. Oh well, I'm still excited for Friday.

AnthG 09-15-2010 09:38 AM

They're definitely gonna cut a bunch of songs for BDS, but if they keep Passenger and Needles and Pins in the set i'll be very very satisfied

Natrlhi 09-16-2010 09:32 AM

This Will Destroy You is awesome. It would have been out of this world if I had been able to see Caspian on Monday and TWDY on Tuesday - two of my favorite post-rock bands of all time, back-to-back. But, I saw the better show (Caspian / If These Trees Could Talk) for sure. I have little to no interest in Deftones, and the ticket price was probably ten times what the Caspian show was (five bucks).

BTW, if you like TWDY, their self-titled 2008 album is a fucking post-rock masterpiece. Their 2006 album "Young Mountain" is also quite good. They are set to release their new album "Tunnel Blanket" any time now, but I haven't heard anything in terms of a firm release date yet. They are so small that the thing might just get released without a big announcement, but who knows. I'm sure the album will be great. The two new tracks they have posted on their MySpace page are excellent.

petrovar 09-16-2010 10:01 AM

Yeah, I enjoyed them. The problem was that some people can't appreciate instrumental bands like that and they have to act like dicks to the band. There were 5 guys behind me who wouldn't shut the fuck up. The funny thing is, the things they were saying they would never say to the band's face. Chino came out and played a song with TWDY as well, which was cool.