WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Black Cobra -- Lawrence, KS -- July 21st, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=14118)

mankvill 07-21-2010 09:25 PM

Black Cobra -- Lawrence, KS -- July 21st, 2010

Black Cobra:

Five Daggers
Kay-Dur-Twenty
Red Tide
Machine
Catalyst
Omniscient
Chronosphere
Negative Reversal
Storm Shadow
Swords For Teeth

Phobia:

Bring The War
Savannah's Assault
So Full Of Hate
I Reject
Fuck What You Think
Drunken Spree of Violence
?
?
Death To False Punk
?
Cheap Life?
Ultimate Suffering
Rise Up
Get Up And Kill
?
Blood Sport
===
Let's Get Pissed

Black Cobra: 9.5/10
Phobia: 8/10
Howl: 7/10

Review to come

bt11763 07-21-2010 09:53 PM

that howl score is awful low :allan:

mankvill 07-21-2010 10:04 PM

[QUOTE=bt11763;291411]that howl score is awful low :allan:[/QUOTE]

Haiku's for each band:

Howl:

loud and heavy, great
but at the end of the day
they worship buzzov*en

Phobia:

so out of place here
but the change of pace welcomes
a lot of moshing

Black Cobra:

so so so so so
so so so so so so so
so so so so good

bt11763 07-21-2010 10:19 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;291412]Haiku's for each band:

Howl:

loud and heavy, great
but at the end of the day
they worship buzzov*en

Phobia:

so out of place here
but the change of pace welcomes
a lot of moshing

Black Cobra:

so so so so so
so so so so so so so
so so so so good[/QUOTE]

response to each one:

Howl:
who dosen't??

Phobia:
I FUCKING BET GODDAMMIT ; _____________________________ ;

Black Cobra:
Never listened to them, will check out :3

mankvill 07-21-2010 10:50 PM

My streak of almost dying from heat exhaustion at shows continues. After a sweltering performance from Black Cobra, Phobia, and Howl inside the Jackpot, I was sopping wet with sweat. But it was well-earned not just from the heat, but from how fantastic the concert was.

"Someone has to live there," says Howl's frontman Vincent when he mentions that they're from Rhode Island. Apparently, over on the northeast coast, you get a free Buzzov*en album whenever you buy groceries. They were dripping with Buzzov*en/Weedeater/etc. worship that halfway through their set, I wish they would change it up a little bit. While they were certainly heavy, I was sorely aware of the absence of guitar solos. Too many songs sounded the same and, for the first time I can recall, the bass absolutely dominated in the mix. Odd, but they still pulled off a decent set. They know how to get heads banging.

I've seen some odd pairings in shows, but nothing quite like this. Phobia stood out as the more extreme/faster of the three bands, but most of the crowd came for their set. It was a blast of fresh air, but it seemed the band was going a little through the motions, although they seemed to get really into it halfway through the set. Lots of pitting and even a few stage dives let them know just how welcome their grindcore was. As they were starting to put their gear away, the crowd kept yelling for more, so they gave the grindcore faithful a well-earned encore. Phobia will always be welcome back.

I can't believe I was considering leaving before Black Cobra's set. I decided to stay and it was the best decision I've made in quite some time. Matt Pike would be proud: Black Cobra sounded just as heavy and had as many riffs as High On Fire, but they only had a guitarist and a drummer. Couldn't believe how loud two guys could get. They were heavy when the tempo's slowed and made everyone's neck sore when they decided to get fast. This fantastic two-piece didn't let up one bit and it was really one of the better performances of the year so far. After their set, I shook their guitarist's, Jason's, hand and said, "Calling you the heaviest band in the world would be an understatement." And what an understatement it is.

idrinkwine732 07-21-2010 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;291419]
I can't believe I was considering leaving before Black Cobra's set. I decided to stay and it was the best decision I've made in quite some time. Matt Pike would be proud: [SIZE="6"][B][I]Phobia[/I][/B][/SIZE] sounded just as heavy and had as many riffs as High On Fire, but they only had a guitarist and a drummer. Couldn't believe how loud two guys could get. They were heavy when the tempo's slowed and made everyone's neck sore when they decided to get fast. This fantastic two-piece didn't let up one bit and it was really one of the better performances of the year so far. After their set, I shook their guitarist's, Jason's, hand and said, "Calling you the heaviest band in the world would be an understatement." And what an understatement it is.[/QUOTE]

...:mad::mad::flame::flame::finger2::finger2:

mankvill 07-21-2010 11:06 PM

[QUOTE=idrinkwine732;291423]...:mad::mad::flame::flame::finger2::finger2:[/QUOTE]

tired. ;_; sorry.

idrinkwine732 07-21-2010 11:07 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;291424]tired. ;_; sorry.[/QUOTE]

:cool:

I'll let it slide, but don't get sloppy son...;)

DethMaiden 07-22-2010 05:00 AM

I'm less excited for Howl and more excited for Black Cobra after reading this.

Struck By Lightning is still gonna be the best set though. :tongue:

evildeadjedi 07-22-2010 08:28 AM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;291435]I'm less excited for Howl and more excited for Black Cobra after reading this.

Struck By Lightning is still gonna be the best set though. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Agree on the Black Cobra observation and Brad you're such a fanboy :tongue: :dorky: