WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Getting members of the fairer sex into Metal (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13954)

youngandaspiring 07-04-2010 09:45 AM

Getting members of the fairer sex into Metal

Anyone ever tried it? I tried it once, failed miserably. All the guys are too ugly, music is too loud, overly dramatic/stupid lyrics, no hook were criticisms levelled at the songs.

Any success stories would be interesting to hear.

ravenheart 07-04-2010 09:55 AM

Haven't even tried. There's no point. Everyone already has their opinion of metal (usually based on hearing one band and deciding it's "all screaming" or something) and they'll only change it by themselves. I don't try to get guys into metal either.

All I do is try to introduce people who are already open to metal, to new bands so they're not just listening to Metallica and Iron Maiden all day long.

DethMaiden 07-04-2010 09:55 AM

I have a few female friends who were already into metal when I met them. I don't really feel the need to "try" to make anyone like anything, though. What you like is your business and I'm more than capable of understanding that metal is not for everyone, male or female.

Oh, and my mom has Opeth, Queensryche, Iron Maiden, and Clutch songs on her iPod. :dorky:

Wizzbang11 07-04-2010 10:02 AM

I dont have any real interest getting people into metal who don't already like heavy music.
There are a few chicks I met who like metal, most of it is shit though. The only women with good taste in metal who I have spoken with I have encountered via the internet.

daimonos 07-04-2010 12:20 PM

I always share the "lesser-extreme" stuff with my parents, and my mom actually likes a good bit of it, wierdly enough.

evildeadjedi 07-04-2010 12:54 PM

I only have done it when they wanted to hear some of the music. The result has been very mixed. :lol:

mastodon421 07-04-2010 01:02 PM

I don't shove metal down anyones throats if they are not fans but If a girl asks me to play some I will. I have converted a couple and a few have been horrified:D

b_halperin 07-04-2010 01:03 PM

Does blasting goatwhore in between classes and pissing people off at school count?

I got into metal mostly through my friend, and I have gotten a few people into it. But like others have said, I'm only going to try to convert them to metal if they are interested in it to start with.

xStructualDefect 07-04-2010 02:06 PM

i've gotten MANY [B]guy [/B]friends into metal. i would wear tour shirts and band tees a lot in high school so everyone knew i listened metal. occasionally people would ask me to play them stuff and they would like it. i'm the reason almost all my friends go to shows. for example, i've convinced about more than 10 of my friends to go to Mayhem Fest with me. most of them aren't that into metal but they want to experience a metal festival because they've liked what i've showed them, or they just want to go. last year i convinced 5 friends to go to Summer Slaughter, 2 out of 5 friends knew some of the bands while the other 3 had never really listened to any bands on the lineup. they all had a lot of fun and even said they're up for Summer Slaughter again this year.

i don't shove metal down anyone's throats though. like DethMaiden said metal really isn't for everyone.

but yeah as for female friends, i don't think any of my female friends like metal. most of them rock or music you can dance to.

evildeadjedi 07-04-2010 02:26 PM

I have turned many of my male friends into metalheads. :D One was a bible thumping Jars of Clay fan, :eyes: now he listens to death, black, traditional, thrash and punk. :rocker: I never forced him to convert, he was just no longer sheltered musically. :lol: Another friend of mine loved Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Slipknot. :barf: He now likes Clutch, LOG, Slayer, KSE, Death, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, and Gojira to name a few. :rocker: I have turned many people onto Clutch. :blaze: :rocker: