WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Portal -- San Francisco, CA -- May 15th, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13461)

Wizzbang11 05-16-2010 03:09 PM

Portal -- San Francisco, CA -- May 15th, 2010

Morbosidad fucking canceled and it nearly ruined the show for me :mad:

Sanguis Imperem:
1. Tyrants of Iron
2. Carrier of Plagues
3. Led to Disaster
4. ???
5. ???
6. ???
7. Humanity's Dirge (?)

Portal:
They played The Swayy, 13 Globes and Glumurphonel, beyond that I have no idea which ones, or how many, it all kinda blended together, and the only reason I am sure of those is that they were announced(ish.) I'm sure it'll be pretty much the same set as MDF in a few weeks.

I'll write a review in a bit.

Wizzbang11 05-16-2010 03:39 PM

I had willcall tickets, so I guess I missed the sign that said Morbosidad canceled, but it took me about an hour to find out, and that realllllly sucked because they were pretty much the reason I went. Apparently Senor Stench had to get hired musicians because no one else could get a visa, and then those musicians quit after the show in LA after a fight. :flame:

Dispirit were ok, they used way the fuck to much fog, honestly it was difficult to breathe at time. Ambient black metal, made me a little sleepy, but well executed. They played for what seemed like 45 min and their set was 3 songs long, didn't catch any song titles.
Sanguis Imperem were pretty badass, bestial black metal. Got a patch. At the end of their set they announced that Dio had died.
Portal were fucking weird. I think they played longer because of Morbosidad's dropping off, but they seemed to take forever. I enjoyed it but at the same time I was wondering when it would end, much more droney than I had expected. No clock from the singer, just a pope hat, but they all had their bizarre outfits which looked horrible to play in. I honestly don't know if the guy was speaking (or more horror-whispering) in English, it sounded more like some Lovecraftian thing, I couldn't quite make out much, but they played for a long time.
Sold out show, surprisingly, and there were a ton of hipsters in the crowd. Honestly, more than I have seen at any other show. Pretty lame crowd actually, except Aesop, Ross and Christy from Ludicra were there, as well as Pete Helmkamp and Dino Sommese.

idrinkwine732 05-16-2010 04:08 PM

San Fran[b]c[/b]isco buddy.

mankvill 05-16-2010 08:23 PM

[SIZE="7"][B]YOU GOT TO SEE PORTAL?!

GOD DAMN YOUSE TA HELL[/B][/SIZE]

Wizzbang11 05-16-2010 08:25 PM

:D

The more I think about it it's the most bizarre thing I have seen.
I think I liked it.
A lot of it is way more droney than I was expecting.

mankvill 05-16-2010 08:35 PM

I would love to see Portal. They're like what Gorguts/Immolation/Suffocation would sound like if they played in hell.

Wizzbang11 05-16-2010 08:38 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;273274]I would love to see Portal. They're like what Gorguts/Immolation/Suffocation would sound like if they played in hell.[/QUOTE]

Except way more Sunn influenced. And I forgot to mention they played with no lights at all, so the only light was from occasional camera flashes.

mankvill 05-16-2010 09:13 PM

[QUOTE=Wizzbang11;273275]Except way more Sunn influenced. And I forgot to mention they played with no lights at all, so the only light was from occasional camera flashes.[/QUOTE]

To you, I'd see how you'd think they were influenced by drone, but to me I hear minimal drone and a lot more technical/progressive death metal. Tech/prog death metal as performed by Satan, but still...

TonyD 05-16-2010 10:07 PM

Every time I hear about this band I get excited for half a second thinking it's the Cynic side project.

mankvill 05-16-2010 10:15 PM

Hopefully they played [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6ljFaKRTrI"]their best song[/URL]