WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hypocrisy -- Mesa, AZ -- May 12th, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13421)

Epidemic Reign 05-13-2010 10:54 AM

Hypocrisy -- Mesa, AZ -- May 12th, 2010

Venue: UB's Bar
Source: AnglOvDeth and myself

Amazing show, I got there just as Blackguard was starting their set and didn't even enter the venue until they were done because I don't care much for them. Unfortunately Swashbuckle had already played, I wanted to see their set but I had already figured I wouldn't make it to the venue on time. So my friends and I took seats and drained several pitchers of beer while Hate played. I like their music and thought they did really well, but I don't know their songs very well so I couldn't tell you what they played.

Next came Scar Symmetry, which I was really looking forward to. They were awesome live, and my only complaint is that they got way too short of a set. The new vocalists, Roberth Karlsson and Lars Palmqvist did a great job of performing Christian Alvestam's material. After they played we went behind the venue and met the vocalists. Then we got another pitcher of beer and waited for Hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy was epic as always. Peter is an incredible vocalist, and his live performance is no less impressive than his recordings. At one point he yelled "scream for me!" to which the crowd responded with cheers, and then he said "now I'm going to scream for you" and let loose one of his famous soaring screeches. Incredible. Once again, the set wasn't quite as long as I had hoped for. They were barely onstage for an hour, but they tore the place down in that hour.

So here's the sets for Scar Symmetry and Hypocrisy, they're probably slightly out of order and I may be missing a song or two due to being intoxicated, but they're mostly accurate. (EDIT: Thanks to AnglOvDeth for providing Hypocrisy's corrected setlist)

SCAR SYMMETRY

The Iconoclast
Pitch Black Progress
Morphogenesis
Retaliator
Mind Machine
The Illusionist

HYPOCRISY

Valley of the Damned
Hang Him High
Fractured Millennium
Killing Art
Pleasure of Molestation/Osculum Obscenum/Penetralia (Medley)
Let the Knife Do The Talking
Weed Out The Weak
Eraser
Fire In The Sky

Encore:
The Final Chapter
Warpath
Roswell 47

treghet 05-13-2010 12:33 PM

I read that Hypocrisy was supposed to play a 90 minute set for this tour. I guess not. :confused: I'll be seeing them tomorrow though!

SerpentineVIVIVI 05-13-2010 12:35 PM

Sick setlists from both, just wish they were both longer, respectively. Can't wait to see every band come June :fist:

Epidemic Reign 05-13-2010 01:30 PM

[QUOTE=treghet;272320]I read that Hypocrisy was supposed to play a 90 minute set for this tour. I guess not. :confused: I'll be seeing them tomorrow though![/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had read the same thing and was looking forward to it. A bit disappointing, but still it was totally worth it.

AnglOvDeth 05-13-2010 10:40 PM

The exact setlist was:

Valley of the Damned
Hang Him High
Fractured Millennium
Killing Art
Pleasure of Molestation/Osculum Obscenum/Penetralia (Medley)
Let the Knife Do The Talking
Weed Out The Weak
Eraser
Fire In The Sky

Encore:

The Final Chapter
Warpath
Roswell 47

They did not play Apocalypse, that was cut from the set, as they were supposed to play another medley of Apocalypse/The Fourth Dimension. Also, Scar Symmetry had to cut 4 songs because of technical issues prior to the start of the show. Hypocrisy played Fractured Millennium, Roswell 47 and a few others during soundcheck. Epic show!
If you miss this, well, you are NOT a Hypocrisy fan. :tongue:

christopher 05-13-2010 11:59 PM

UB's Bar doesn't seem like a place for a long show. I drover over 5 hours to get there last summer for Master and less than 10 people showed up so they cut their set a lot. Is that how Mesa's crowd is or what? The venue is tiny as fuck too. They're playing two venues out near me that are about three times the size of UB's and the turnout will probably be pretty good.

Epidemic Reign 05-14-2010 12:09 AM

[QUOTE=AnglOvDeth;272405]They did not play Apocalypse, that was cut from the set, as they were supposed to play another medley of Apocalypse/The Fourth Dimension. Also, Scar Symmetry had to cut 4 songs because of technical issues prior to the start of the show. Hypocrisy played Fractured Millennium, Roswell 47 and a few others during soundcheck. Epic show!
If you miss this, well, you are NOT a Hypocrisy fan. :tongue:[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot man. I had The Final Chapter and Apocalypse confused. And apparently I had the order a lot more fucked up than I thought!

Epidemic Reign 05-14-2010 12:26 AM

[QUOTE=vegantopher;272407]UB's Bar doesn't seem like a place for a long show. I drover over 5 hours to get there last summer for Master and less than 10 people showed up so they cut their set a lot. Is that how Mesa's crowd is or what? The venue is tiny as fuck too. They're playing two venues out near me that are about three times the size of UB's and the turnout will probably be pretty good.[/QUOTE]

I think the majority of metal show-goers in the valley probably aren't too pleased with UB's becoming the premiere metal venue in the last year and a half. There's a much better venue just a couple miles down the road called The Clubhouse, and while it's not very large either, it is quite a bit bigger than UB's and laid out much better, with the bar area in the back as opposed to on the side.

As for the Master show, I wasn't there, but a turnout that small is surprising to me. Definitely unusual. I'm sorry you had to make such an epic drive to such a shit venue.

I think the worst turnout I ever saw for a show in the valley was Exodus a few years back at the Marquee Theater (capacity approx. 3,500) and there probably weren't more than 30 people there.

The Colonel 05-14-2010 04:23 PM

The reason for low turnouts at shows at UB's has less to do with the venue and more to do with the stupid ass "Moshpit Army" promotion company that puts on most of the shows there. They do little to no promotion for the shows, instead relying on pay to play local bands to spread the word.

Mancubus 05-14-2010 05:23 PM

This set seems pretty short. I thought they were getting 90 minutes. This looks more like 60.