WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   General Chat (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Favorite sub-genre of metal? (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12625)

IrritatedTrout 02-22-2010 04:26 PM

Favorite sub-genre of metal?

I know there may be some debate over which sub genres exist and which don't but I think I made the most non-controversial list I could.

My vote goes to heavy/traditional metal. Just to name the obvious ones, Iron Maiden, Dio, Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Blaze Bayley, Ozzy, King Diamond. :drool: You can't go wrong. Not to mention stuff like Zep, Motorhead, and Rainbow sometimes get thrown into that category. Now I personally don't agree with that, but I ain't gonna complain.;)

Edit: If you think I should include grindcore, tell me and I'll edit it.

mankvill 02-22-2010 04:39 PM

Thrash Metal

or technically

Blackened thrash metal

All genre's of metal fucking rule except for metalcore and deathcore.

idrinkwine732 02-22-2010 04:43 PM

I don't really have a favorite...It's like Sophie's choice to me...

JuuKun 02-22-2010 04:47 PM

I could tell you my LEAST favorite is Sludge/Stoner, but I love it all. I'd probably say Power, Folk, or Thrash for my favorite though.

ChildrenofSodom 02-22-2010 04:48 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;253291]

All genre's of metal fucking rule except for nu metal and deathcore.[/QUOTE]

Fixed. Don't shit on my metalcore. :bouville:

mankvill 02-22-2010 04:49 PM

[QUOTE=ChildrenofSodom;253294]Fixed. Don't shit on my metalcore. :bouville:[/QUOTE]

All genre's of metal rule except for nu metal, melodic metalcore, and deathcore.

:lovedup:

mankvill 02-22-2010 04:50 PM

[QUOTE=JuuKun;253293]I could tell you my LEAST favorite is Sludge/Stoner, but I love it all. I'd probably say Power, Folk, or Thrash for my favorite though.[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, there are tons of mediocre sludge bands out there, but when they're good, they're REALLY good.

makethemsuffer12 02-22-2010 04:53 PM

It was very close between thrash and heavy/traditional (which I have been listening to alot lately), but I decided on thrash as most of my favorite bands are thrash or thrash related.

SerpentineVIVIVI 02-22-2010 05:07 PM

Thrash used to be for me, but I've found many thrash bands outside the popular ones and the once-in-a-while out there ones, it's a REALLY stale genre with one of the stupidest attitudes in metal.

I'd say melodic death metal is easily one of my favorites, if not that then straight up death metal/black metal. Folk metal/power metal definitely deserve a mention too.

Come to figure, after writing this, I really don't know. I guess for the sake pick of a choice I'd say melo death. But again, all the aforementioned are still valid.

Maiden33 02-22-2010 05:07 PM

Never thought I'd see the day, but I went with Prog Metal. Power Metal produced so many great bands and albums, but it's dead. There hasn't been a GREAT true power metal album in the past 4 years. On the other hand Prog Metal is alive and well turning out quality releases all the time. Also, power metal just can't hold my attention like it used to outside of certain bands that I will always love.