WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Set Lists and Gig Reports (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Goatwhore -- Springfield, VA -- January 25th, 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12369)

BrutalN00dle 01-25-2010 06:01 PM

Goatwhore -- Springfield, VA -- January 25th, 2010

This was the VA stop of the Devildriver tour with Suffocation, Goatwhore, and Thy Will Be Done. I really only wanted to see Goatwhore, and Suffocation, since I only having a passing interest in DevilDriver.

Thy Will Be Done was better than I thought they'd be. Just hearing the name I thought they'd be a coookie-cutter deathcore band, but when they started playing, I was pleasantly surprised to hear a mix of Kataklysm and Cannibal Corpse, whether or not their songs will hold up to later listening remains to be seen.

Then Goatwhore :rocker: I fucking love this band, and see them whenever they're in the region, and they don't disappoint. They got on stage and rocked the fuck out.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EqAUF.jpg[/IMG]

I like Suffocation, but didn't want to have to hold on to the rail to try and grab one of their setlists, but I do know that they played Suspended in Tribulation as their 3rd song. The singer is a great frontman, and has great inter-song banter, and the band was precise and brutal.

I left before Devildriver, so it's up to somebody else to post their setlist.

In summary, Goatwhore rules.

idrinkwine732 01-25-2010 06:46 PM

Holy humongous picture batman

BrutalN00dle 01-25-2010 09:15 PM

Small photos are unmetal :P

Epidemic Reign 01-26-2010 01:14 AM

I'm personally not too impressed with this Goatwhore setlist... I think A Haunting Curse is their best work so far and it's a bit disappointing to see they're only pulling out one song off of the album for this tour, although they've graciously played tracks off of that album on recent tours. Five tracks off of the most recent album is too many for my taste. I have little right to complain, however, as the tour didn't even roll through my town. I caught the Milwaukee show's webcast online.

Suffocation's set for the tour is excellent, however. Liege of Inveracity, Infecting the Crypts, Pierced from Within, wonderful choices :party: it's to be expected I suppose, after being around for 20+ years a band's got to have a grip on what their fans want to hear.

BrutalN00dle 01-26-2010 06:45 AM

Yeah, I was hoping for Invert the Virgin, which they usually play, and perhaps My Eyes are the Spears of Chaos.

jhdeity 01-26-2010 02:13 PM

I had a great time at this show. I just hate Jaxx as a venue. You can only drink in designated places and there are drink nazi's everywhere. The vote for pedro looking dude "guarding" the pit was priceless. They're video nazis there also. Stopping anyone in the drinking area from recording but too scared to go into the pit and stop those people.

They Will Be Done killed it. I gave them shit for spending too much time giving props to the other bands rather than playing another song though. They hung out all night meeting people are are very cool guys. This is their 1st tour ever and the guys said Jaxx gave them a $20 per diem so they had to choose to eat that day or drink that night. They chose to eat and were basically begging for beers. That really sucks. Jaxx gets beers for what .25 each and can't even give free beer to the bands?

Goatwhore were bad ass. The highlight of the night was Apocalyptic Havok by a mile but the song leading up to it was the lowlight. What a boring ass song live. I saw some girls leaving the room and grabbed them and told them the next song is going to kill but after 3 more snooze filled minutes they left and missed the highlight of the night. Maybe it's just me but Goatwhore's fast songs are incredible but their slower stuff is just boring and repetitious.

Devildriver were better than I expected. The girl I was with isn't into them at all and kept hounding me to leave so I caught about half of the set. It was the same as we've seen posted. Overall a great time hanging with TWBD and meeting the guys from Goatwhore. More chicks than I would have expected and a great ride home listening to local bands. If you get a chance to check out Beaten Back to Pure I highly recommend doing it. Incredible heavy Doom/Sludge from VA.

BrutalN00dle 01-26-2010 05:44 PM

There were more chicks than usual yes, but I don't think any of them were really into the bands before DevilDriver, a girl behind me kept shrieking and jumping up and down like a fucking twat, and another girl kept saying in a weird nasally voice "gimme a beer", which kind of killed it for me, I left the rail after the first song by Suffocation just because of the annoying girls.

On Jaxx, I'm 18 so I don't have to deal with the drink guards or anything; but there's been a big change since the renovation. I feel that they're trying to be a more "proper" venue, by cracking down on everything like cameras, though they are getting some absolutely killer shows coming up, so I'll suffer through their bullshit for Kreator, Nile, OverKill, and a potential Cannibal Corpse show.

If anybody has Suffocation's setlist it would be much appreciated.

JuuKun 01-26-2010 06:10 PM

[QUOTE=jhdeity;247788]This is their 1st tour ever[/QUOTE]

No, it isn't. They toured with Hatebreed in 07, Dying Fetus in 08, and Thrash & Burn last year (those are the ones I can remember, anyway).

the chewbacca defense 01-26-2010 07:28 PM

[QUOTE=JuuKun;247835]No, it isn't. They toured with Hatebreed in 07, Dying Fetus in 08, and Thrash & Burn last year (those are the ones I can remember, anyway).[/QUOTE]

they also toured w/FFDP i think (the tour with ITM and BYD) and they opened for Threat Signal, The Agonist and Flatline

jhdeity 01-27-2010 04:29 AM

Oh maybe it was the guitarist Chris' 1st tour then. He said he wasn't on the 1st cd. Dude shreds though. I enjoyed his solos as much as anyones that night.

I met the owner and talked with him for a little bit. He's the Rod Stewart looking guy. He said it's become a latin club with metal shows basically, if I heard him right. Normally when a club does that it's the beginning of the end.... aka Thunderdome.

What sucks is how they treat the over 21 crowd. Having to only stand in that little area in the back to drink is idiotic. He said it's so people don't give drinks to underage kids but with so many drink nazis there why not just police it like other clubs do?

The sound there is good but other than that it's one of the worst places I've ever watched a show. In reality the concert hall isn't much bigger than Ottobar.