WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Most exciting releases of 2010 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12211)

ravenheart 01-01-2010 06:28 PM

Most exciting releases of 2010

Sparked by an exchange with Maiden 33, what are people most excited about this year?

For me the first really exciting releases are [B]Charred Walls of The Damned, Rage[/B] and [B]Heathen[/B].

There's also new stuff from [B]Hellfueled[/B] and [B]Orphaned Land[/B] in the first couple of months of the year, and a new [B]Sodom[/B] DVD. After that... obviously new [B]Maiden[/B] if they manage to get it out this year. New [B]Black Label Society[/B] (yeah, fuck you all), [B]ZZ Top[/B], double [B]Avantasia, Alice Cooper, Down, Venom[/B], the [B]Triptykon[/B] debut, [B]Forbidden[/B] and [B]Testament[/B].

And even though they'll probably not be that great, [B]Rob Zombie[/B] and [B]Ozzy[/B].

As for hopes, I hope [B]Krux[/B] cross paths long enough to make the third album they want to make, and the [B]Soundgarden[/B], [B]Saint Vitus[/B] and [B]Goatsnake[/B] reunions produce new records.

But most of all, new [B]Arena[/B]. Can. Not. Fucking. Wait.

Maiden33 01-01-2010 06:41 PM

Basically a condensed, elaborated version of my list in the other thread:

[B]Avantasia[/B] - The Wicked Symphony / Angel of Babylon. Admittedly I am a big Tobias Sammet fanboy and loved The Scarecrow and didn't hate the last Edguy record. Given the current guest list and all of his own and others' hype, I can't help but think this is going to be an amazing project. This definitely takes the cake for most-anticipated for me.

[B]Iron Maiden[/B] - TBA. Come on, it's Maiden, obviously I'm really excited. Especially given that I'm apparently in the minority that really liked A Matter of life and Death.

[B]Masterplan[/B] - TBA. Jorn is back. If this even comes close to the first two records I'm going to looove it.

[B]Seventh Wonder[/B] - TBA. "Mercy Falls" is without ANY doubt the best record I heard this year, and has completely blown me away and become one of my favorite albums of the past 5 years, no question. It goes without saying I'm really, really excited.

[B]Circus Maximus[/B] - TBA. "Isolate" was an incredible record that blended heavy prog metal with great AOR, and easily one of the best of '07 for me. Very excited to see where they're going with the next one.

[B]Blind Guardian[/B] - TBA. It's been, as expected, quite a wait since A Twist in the Myth, and I personally think "Sacred" is better than everything on it. Also, my love for this band has done nothing but expand over the past 5 years.

A few random other notes/thoughts:
[B]Circle II Circle[/B]: Something much more like Burden of Truth and much less like Delusions of Granduer would be highly appreciated.
[B]Jon Oliva's Pain[/B]: They claim it's gonna be amazing, and I still think Jon has it in him, but this is a wildcard. Global Warning was pretty "meh".
[B]Kamelot[/B]: Please be better than Ghost Opera.
[B]Gamma Ray[/B]: Hoping they try some new things and don't stick too much to formulas, that's what held the last album back. I'm sure whatever they throw together though, I'll enjoy it.
[B]Blaze Bayley[/B]: Be better than The Man Who Would Not Die.
[B]Jag Panzer[/B]: Huge wildcard, it's been 6 years since the last record. Hopefully it rules.
[B]Symphony X[/B]: Hopefully they reclaim some of their sonic diversity and atmosphere and play down the chugga chugga riffs and harsher vocals that were killing Paradise lost.
[B]labyrinth[/B]: Rejoice, the classic lineup of one of prog/power's most underrated bands is back together, hopefully redeeming their awful last record.

idrinkwine732 01-01-2010 06:44 PM

Dark Tranquillity
Arsis
Necrophagist if it finally comes out
Testament, hopefully we get new shit on American Carnage
If Machine Head gets one out I'd be happy
Cormorant, who are already writing a new one
Death Angel has a new one coming up right?

I can't remember a lot of the ones I was looking forward to.

powerslave_85 01-01-2010 06:47 PM

Always stoked for new Maiden, and the new Blind Guardian should be pretty good too. I'm really excited for new Arcade Fire and Ted Leo & the Pharmacists in the first quarter. Other than that, I haven't heard about anything else.

ravenheart 01-01-2010 06:48 PM

Damn, can't believe I forgot [B]Cathedral[/B]!!

mankvill 01-01-2010 06:54 PM

Hmm. I guess Maiden. Necrophagist, if they get around to it. I'd be excited out of my mind for Arsis, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be just okay.

Triptykon is high up near the top, though. :lovedup:

ravenheart 01-01-2010 07:04 PM

Oh yes, there [I]should[/I] be new [B]Demon[/B] too!

DethMaiden 01-01-2010 07:19 PM

Way more than I have any idea about right now, but for starters, Iron Maiden, Rob Zombie, Mouth of the Architect, Man's Gin, and especially NEVERMORE!

IrritatedTrout 01-01-2010 07:58 PM

Iron Maiden: Can't wait for them to deliver their new masterpiece. Topping AMOLAD will be near impossible but I'm sure they'll deliver something outstanding.

Avantasia: The Scarecrow was awesome, as was Tinnitus Sanctus.

Blaze Bayley: Didn't care for The Man That Would Not Die much so I'm hoping this one will be more like the first three albums. Watching the Night Sky has kinda dampened my hopes though.

Kamelot: I've thoroughly enjoyed every album since The Fourth Legacy so I'm betting this one will be good too.

Also, Blind Guardian, Gamma Ray, Burzum, Alice Cooper (didn't know he was working on a new one), and Ozzy (pretty sure it will suck though). I think ICS Vortex will be releasing something next year, be it as a solo effort or with his old band.

idrinkwine732 01-01-2010 07:59 PM

[QUOTE=mankvill;243961]I'd be excited out of my mind for Arsis, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's going to be just okay.[/QUOTE]

I liked Beyond Forlorn a whole lot, but Forced to Rock totally blew. When your opening track is awful, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the album.