WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   illninoese's Top Albums Of 2009 (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12160)

illninoese 12-20-2009 10:46 PM

illninoese's Top Albums Of 2009

This is my third consecutive year making this list but only my first year the I actually dedicated a decent amount of time into actually listening to a lot of albums. I will be updating the rankings until the 31st of December. As for how I actually went about listening to these albums, I listened to each one 2-3 times; once sober while just relaxing and watching visualizations in Windows Media Player as the album played (just me and the music to focus on) and once high on marijuana since I understand the music on a deeper level when I listen to it then. If after those 2 listens I felt that the album really stood out to me and I was having trouble ranking it, I would listen to it a third time just through headphones while I was doing my list of stuff for the day. The list is broken up into Albums and EP's for now. I will add Re-Releases, Remasters, and Compilations along with Live Albums in separate groups if I review any of those before the year is out.

Here's a link to the list: [url]http://www.last.fm/user/illninoese/journal/2009/09/22/313fnl_albumseps_of_2009[/url]

[B][U]Possible Upcoming Album Reviews:[/U][/B]
- Fragmentary Evidence by Augury
- Strange Cousins From The West by Clutch
- Gin by Cobalt

DethMaiden 12-21-2009 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=illninoese;242723]This is my third consecutive year making this list but only my first year the I actually dedicated a decent amount of time into actually listening to a lot of albums. I will be updating the rankings until the 31st of December. As for how I actually went about listening to these albums, I listened to each one 2-3 times; once sober while just relaxing and watching visualizations in Windows Media Player as the album played (just me and the music to focus on) and [B]once high on marijuana since I understand the music on a deeper level when I listen to it then[/B]. If after those 2 listens I felt that the album really stood out to me and I was having trouble ranking it, I would listen to it a third time just through headphones while I was doing my list of stuff for the day. The list is broken up into Albums and EP's for now. I will add Re-Releases, Remasters, and Compilations along with Live Albums in separate groups if I review any of those before the year is out. [/QUOTE]

Yeah I bet you do.

illninoese 12-21-2009 08:24 PM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;242805]Yeah I bet you do.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I do. Hopefully, you don't have a problem with that.

DethMaiden 12-21-2009 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=illninoese;242852]Yeah, I do. Hopefully, you don't have a problem with that.[/QUOTE]

Nah, just giving you a hard time because I'm sure there's albums that drugs can't possibly enhance. I have a hard time believing every artist you listen to said "Alright, now how will this sound blazed" when they were writing.

illninoese 12-21-2009 11:08 PM

[QUOTE=DethMaiden;242853]Nah, just giving you a hard time because I'm sure there's albums that drugs can't possibly enhance. I have a hard time believing every artist you listen to said "Alright, now how will this sound blazed" when they were writing.[/QUOTE]

Ohh I know that. It's hard to explain. I seem to focus in more on the music (riffs, drums, production quality, etc...) in that state. I know not all have that mindset and I don't do it because I think this artist meant for it to be listened to in an altered state. I feel I appreciate the music more and understand it better.

Anyways, your thoughts on the rankings?

DethMaiden 12-21-2009 11:11 PM

[QUOTE=illninoese;242868]Ohh I know that. It's hard to explain. I seem to focus in more on the music (riffs, drums, production quality, etc...) in that state. I know not all have that mindset and I don't do it because I think this artist meant for it to be listened to in an altered state. I feel I appreciate the music more and understand it better.

Anyways, your thoughts on the rankings?[/QUOTE]

Cool, gotcha.

Yeah, despite the "tied for first" cop-out bullshit (;)) this list seems solid as far as the stuff I've actually heard. I do think Addicted and Evangelion are getting a little more love than I'd give them, just in general. A few GREAT songs on each but both fade the fuck away as the album wears on, in my opinion.

illninoese 12-22-2009 12:01 AM

The tied for first makes me feel less guilty about having to place one album over another :)

I felt Addicted picked up towards the end of the album. I still haven't listened to Ki so that might top it. As for Behemoth, this album is there opus for me. It combined everything they are known for and everything they are good at into a fucking great album. I feel like they are going to have to kick major creative writing ass next time around if they want to top Evangelion.

SomewhereInTime72 12-22-2009 12:06 AM

Well, at the very least, I'm sure there aren't many albums that are [B]worse[/B] if you're high. :eyes:

illninoese 12-22-2009 09:52 AM

You would think that, but there are quite a few that will probably suck when I get the chance to listen to them.

1349's new album for example........and the new It Dies Today album was terrible to listen to again high. It was definitely worse than the first time around.

Natrlhi 12-22-2009 10:09 AM

I can't see your list from work, which is where I do a lot of my "checking in" during the day, and that's pissing me off. Thanks a lot, fucking WebSense. I haven't had time to check in at home because I've been so busy getting ready for the holidays & such. Fuck me. I guess I'll have to check it out tonight, since I'm finally off work until January 4 (time to start getting Nat's 2009 "Best of" lists in order...!).