Decibel's Top Albums of 2009
Haven't read it yet because I won't have the magazine until I go home, I just lurked their forums for spoilers. But here you go; let the bitching commence:
1. Baroness-Blue Record
2. Converge-Axe To Fall
3. Coalesce- Ox
4. Napalm Death-Time Waits No Slave
6. Kylesa-Static Tensions
7. Slayer-World Painted Blood
8. Tombs-Winter Hours
10. Isis-Wavering Radiant
11. Immortal-All Shall Fall
12. Agoraphobic Nosebleed-Agorapocalypse
15. Nile-Those Whom The Gods Detest
16. YOB- The Great Cessation
17. Mastodon-Crack The Skye
18. Paradise Lost-Faith Divides Us,Death Unites Us
19. The Atlas Moth-A Glorified Piece Of Blue Sky
20. Asphyx-Death...The Brutal Way
21. Altar Of Plauges-White Tomb
22. Mournful Congregation-The June Frost
23. Funeral Mist-Maranatha
24. The Gates Of Slumber-Hymns Of Blood And Thunder
25. Burnt By The Sun-Heart Of Darkness
26. City Of Ships-Look What God Did To Us
27. Goatwhore-Carving Out The Eyes Of God
28. Gaza-He Is Never Coming Back
29. Katatonia-Night Is The New Day
30. Keelhaul-Keelhaul's Triumphannt Return To Obscurity
31. The Red Chord-Fed Through The Teeth Machine
32. Brutal Truth-Evolution Through Revolution
33. Krallice-Dimensional Bleedthrough
34. Culted-Below The Thunders Of The Upper Deep
35. Goes Cube-Another Day Has Passed
36. Suffocation-Blood Oath
37. Javelina-Beasts Among Sheep
38. Municipal Waste-Massive Aggressive
39. Millions-Gather Scatter
40. Funebrarum-The Sleep Of Morbid Dreams
Top Five That Didn't Make The Cut:
41. Alice In Chains-Black Gives Way To Blue
43. Skeletonwitch-Breathing The Fire
44. Pelican- What We All Come To Need
45. Irritate-Ten Stabs Of Demented Violence
...meh. Cobalt in the top five is awesome, but aside from that, only two of mine are in their top 45 (Nile and Mastodon), and they have some boring-ass (or just plain shitty) records on here. Slayer? Suffocation? Really? And the lack of BTBAM, Shrinebuilder, and WITTR are the biggest head-scratchers for me knowing what they usually dig. Disappointing list but props to Cobalt. Can't wait to read their article on it, and to destroy it with my article (interviewing Phillip McSorley tomorrow! Very excite!)
I wouldn't call the Suffocation shitty, but the new Slayer really was a let down. And I agree, the lack of BTBAM on there is mindblowing. I really really disagree with this list.
Not a bad list but not great either. The inclusion of Brutal Truth and How high up Slayer is somewhat puzzling and there are quite a few albums that I loved that arent on there at all. Clearly its just a matter of opinion Overall an above average list.
They got the number one right!
(Well, maybe...I haven't finalized my list yet, but Blue Record will be way up there, to be sure.)
I also like the high placements of Coalesce (phenomenal comeback album for them this year), Kylesa (best album of their career so far), Isis (yet another very solid release), and Cobalt, of course.
Converge was pretty good, but maybe not that good. Mastodon could have been bumped up a little. Pelican not quite making the cut is a bit puzzling to me - their latest is possibly one of their best. Skeletonwitch - same story.
Overall, not a bad list, though. I haven't fully listened to WITTR yet, BTBAM's was OK (possibly not my cup of tea, exactly), and Shrinebuilder was pretty good and probably could have bumped one of the more lame records off there (such as Brutal Truth, as someone else had said).
EDIT: The new Asphyx is pretty sweet, too.
Didn't they give Cobalt a 7 or something in the original review? Wouldn't surprise me that the "official opinion" changed once they saw how popular (relatively) it became in metal circles. I think I'll like our own year end top 10 more than this one.
[QUOTE=ADD;238709]Didn't they give Cobalt a 7 or something in the original review? Wouldn't surprise me that the "official opinion" changed once they saw how popular (relatively) it became in metal circles. I think I'll like our own year end top 10 more than this one.[/QUOTE]
One person writes a review, the entire staff votes on the list. This shit happens year in and year out.
[QUOTE=DethMaiden;238710]One person writes a review, the entire staff votes on the list. This shit happens year in and year out.[/QUOTE]
2009 isn't over. :dorky:
and why the fuck is converge number 2?
Lawrence in the motherfucking house!
|All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:55 AM.|
Blah Blah Blah Copyright WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM 2008