WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM

WWW.METALSETLISTS.COM (http://www.metalsetlists.com/index.php)
-   Album Reviews (http://www.metalsetlists.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Slayer - World Painted Blood (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=11663)

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-24-2009 07:55 PM

Slayer - World Painted Blood

I'm gonna start by saying I don't care what anyone says about Slayer, I don't think they've ever released a bad album and they certainly continue this streak for me. I'm not about to get into a "Slayer ideological" argument, cause I know practically everyone's position on it and I really don't care to be frank. I realize I'm about one of the only people on this site who cares for them anymore, and that's just OK :D.

Moving on, "Psychopathy Red" blew me away, I thought that was great, nothing more be said. "Hate Worldwide" was a wee bit disappointing, but still good. When the title track came out, I was thoroughly impressed, I thought it was the best track since and it had such an awesome progression that was very different from what Slayer usually do, so I got very excited. Then the 30 second samples were released, and the only one that sounded eh to me was Human Strain, everything else sounded kickass (granted the fail Americon lyrics, but who listens to Slayer primarily for their lyrics anyway?). The production/mixing of the album was concerning me a little bit too, but it's not like it was St. Anger, so I pretty much had high hopes for the album, and now it's time for the verdict: This album is pretty damned good, but left me wanting a little bit more.

Opening with the title track, I already shared my opinion there, and I say that it is an awesome track with a lot of variety from the "typical Slayer song". The groove in the middle is sick, and the headbanging part that comes after is just a POW in your face. The solo is awful though, so much pointless wankery, but that's a small nuance that doesn't really affect the big picture for me. Awesome track though, one of the best on the record IMO. "Unit 731" is a great fast track, typical Slayer in-your-face kind of shit. Great vocals, great riffage, great song. "Snuff" is a fast song as well, not really that out there and catchy as I'd want it to be, but I must say the chorus is pretty awesome. Just for the sake of being a tough critic, it's not a standout but it's a good, expected song from Slayer.

"Beauty Through Order" is a very eh track for me, takes a LONG time to get "into it", and even then it is not that good to me. Lost interest about halfway to me, and the riff after it gets "in it" is a total "Read Between The Lies" ripoff :D;). Overall, eh. "Hate Worldwide" to me was borderline good-great, it's definitely solid for me, especially the mid-section onwards. Not much else to say there. "Public Display Of Dismemberment" starts out with a cool harmony riffage, not Slayer like that much, and it proceeds into some traditional kickass Slayer riffage. I think one of the things that makes this song is the change of momentum; it's perfect when they slow down then speed up again, it's done so many times in the span of one minute it's sick. Definitely a standout track, I could definitely see it on "Reign In Blood" if times were right :horns:. "Human Strain" was not on my highest hopes list, because as I said before it sounded very eh, and it certainly starts eh to me. The dissinence doesn't work on that song, and it sounds pretty stale to me. [I]Although[/I], I must say the mid-section of the song thoroughly impressed me. It sounded EXACTLY like something that would be on Seasons, and this track left a HUGE question mark in my head as to why the whole song wasn't like that, cause IMO the song blows except for that part.

"Americon" is an awesome track, really catchy chorus, and the lyrics flow really well to their delivery, definitely one of my favorite tracks. "Psychopathy Red" is fucking awesome. End of story. "Playing With Dolls" starts out kind of funny, but I kept an open mind. Interestingly slow, to some degree it turned me off and to some degree it kept me interested (paradox much? O_o). It's an awesome track, actually a standout....go figure :). Final track, "Not Of This God" is a fine track, does its job I guess. It's not great, it's not bad, it's allright. Overall, to end the album review, I really think that the album is solid and all, but some parts of songs just really get me down because they're really stale. I was hoping for a BAM in-your-face shit, but it was like a 5% weaker version of Christ Illusion. Say what you will, I liked Christ Illusion a lot, but WPB was a step down a bit for me. Some killer tracks, some eh tracks. That's about all as much as I can say for that, so give it a listen for yourself, make an opinion, I've stated mine. Roddy out :D

Edit: Standout tracks are the title track, Unit 731, Psychopathy Red, Playing With Dolls, and Public Display of Dismemberment IMO. This probably won't be making top 5 material for me unfortunately, and if the tide REALLY turns bad for them, not even top 10 :(

[IMG]http://mytasteofevil.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/slayerworldpaintedblood.jpg[/IMG]

idrinkwine732 10-24-2009 08:48 PM

I didn't like it. I absolutely LOVE Psychopathy Red, but the rest of it just was meh to me. I'll give it a few more spins tomorrow, but my first few listens did not impress me.

Div 10-25-2009 09:51 PM

i thought this album sucked hard, not their worst album, id put it somewhere in between christ illusion and god hates us all. but if you liked it thats cool i guess. imo megadeth wins the "big four award" unless anthrax somehow throws us a good album, which i doubt.

TonyD 10-25-2009 11:22 PM

[QUOTE=Div;234483]imo megadeth wins the "big four award" unless anthrax somehow throws us a good album, which i doubt.[/QUOTE]

Just what I was thinking, imo Anthrax is disqualified for being dicks/continuing a band with 2.5 original members. Even though the new guy was an unknown, after hearing both sides of the story he sounds more reasonable.

[QUOTE=idrinkwine732;234388]I didn't like it. I absolutely LOVE Psychopathy Red, but the rest of it just was meh to me. I'll give it a few more spins tomorrow, but my first few listens did not impress me.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't say I love it, but this is pretty much what I'm thinking after hearing the first 3 released tracks and the samples of the others. I saw it and had the opportunity to hooliganize, but didn't.

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-26-2009 05:50 AM

I definitely think Megadeth win that field too. World Painted Blood is good for me, but it doesn't cut it. After hearing Psychopathy and the three tracks, I was expecting better. And the lack of bass on the record is really aggravating. Honestly, I might even have to put Death Magnetic in front of World Painted Blood (I'd have to think about it for a while though ;)). I never thought I'd be saying that :(

idrinkwine732 10-26-2009 06:11 AM

[QUOTE=SerpentineVIVIVI;234502] Honestly, I might even have to put Death Magnetic in front of World Painted Blood (I'd have to think about it for a while though ;)). I never thought I'd be saying that :([/QUOTE]

Don't you ever say that, it wasn't that bad.

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-26-2009 06:31 AM

[QUOTE=idrinkwine732;234508]Don't you ever say that, it wasn't that bad.[/QUOTE]

Half wrong, half right. Wrong part is, this is just another Slayer record, and to be total non-bias, it's not really all that great. Metallica made a comeback record (which I thought would suck) and it turned out to be pretty good minus shitty production/mixing and fail drumming/solos.

Right in that the good songs on WPB compared to the good on DM are way better, at least I think so. And the fact that Slayer can still perform their songs competently lounge :D

PowerMaiden 10-26-2009 11:15 AM

good review SerpentineVIVIVI , I guess the album is already out in the states, up here we'll have to wait another week.

For my part, I absolutely love the 3 tracks that are already out, title track is very original for Slayer and super good, Hate Worldwide is amazing so is Psychopathy Red. I have great expectation for this release and can't wait to finally have it

for me Slayer is by far the best band out of the big four but that's not really the point here and frankly each to is own taste, and everyone who says that God Hates Us All is a weak album I really don't understand, it's as good if not better than anything\everything they have ever done.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

jhdeity 10-26-2009 11:19 AM

Wow. I've only heard 3 songs and really liked all 3. Fast as hell. Is it on the BT sites now? I plan on buying it but still like jamming it when I have no shows coming up for a few weeks. This would be the perfect time for me to give it 10 spins to give a fair assessment. I had it penciled in my Top 10 based on the limited offerings I had. If someone would ahve said new Megadeth would be better 'd almost be bummed... Endgame is growing on me but I had really high expectations for Slayer.

SerpentineVIVIVI 10-26-2009 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=PowerMaiden;234529]good review SerpentineVIVIVI , I guess the album is already out in the states, up here we'll have to wait another week.

For my part, I absolutely love the 3 tracks that are already out, title track is very original for Slayer and super good, Hate Worldwide is amazing so is Psychopathy Red. I have great expectation for this release and can't wait to finally have it

for me Slayer is by far the best band out of the big four but that's not really the point here and frankly each to is own taste, and everyone who says that God Hates Us All is a weak album I really don't understand, it's as good if not better than anything\everything they have ever done.

Cheers !
PowerMaiden[/QUOTE]

Thanks man, glad you liked it. I also loved the three tracks, but it's just the rest of the tracks are sort of lacking some punch, I really don't know how to pin it down to words. The only track in my opinion that TRULY competes/overplays the other three is "Public Display of Dismemberment" and "Unit 731". It's by no means a bad album, just I was expecting more from the almighty Slayer.

Oh, and P.S., it's not out in the states yet ;)

To jhdeity: Pretty much read the above, haha. I expected a lot as well, just didn't hit the platinum, It hit silver/gold though.